CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I bought a CTX700 yesterday - fairing, standard. Between yesterday and today, I've put @ 60 easy miles mostly on back roads. It replaced a 1981 CM400 I rode for 9 years, and this bike is just so much of an upgrade :) that I would happily disparage my old bike, but I won't. :D

I did a little stretch at @ 50mph and didn't realize I had it in 5th, but I checked for the **** of it and found an extra gear. No wonder I've read that it is immensely economical on fuel.

I'm going to tell myself that the little knocking/vibration is there to remind me that the bike is 'ON', being that it would be so smooth otherwise that I might be constantly trying to start it while it's running.

The dealer didn't have a windshield in house, so I'm riding around stopping bugs and debris with my face until they get one in to install next weekend, hopefully.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and appreciate the time and effort some of you have put into adding a lot of very helpful information to this site.

Thank you.

The **** isn't a curse word. It's heck with 2 'l's.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Congratulations on the CTX.
If you have not already bought and ordered a Honda tall windshield here's what I and others have found.
The tall windshield is better than the stock short shield but not much.
I replaced my tall shield with a Cee Bailey. If you look at the Cee Bailey website you can see the picture of their windshield on one of the forum member's bike.
It's tall and wider than the stock Honda tall unit.

If you really want a Honda tall unit to install by yourself I'll be glad to sell you mine, about 50 miles on it, for $70 plus shipping.
There is also one or two other windshields available that I'm sure someone who has one will tell you all about them.
If you are interested in buying my tall windshield PM me.
Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the windshield recommendations, but the windshield and installation is paid for.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome!

You are going to enjoy this bike more and more as you ride!

Riding on Friday on the interstate I suddenly realized it was doing 90 !
Careful, it has a lot of beast waiting to be unleashed!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome!

You are going to enjoy this bike more and more as you ride!

Riding on Friday on the interstate I suddenly realized it was doing 90 !
Careful, it has a lot of beast waiting to be unleashed!
Wow! I've never done 90 on a bike, but I can see how this can get away from me, being such a smooth ride. As soon as I get the windshield installed, I'm getting on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
welcome as a new CTX owner Sevastopol. The CTX us a good modern replacement for your present bike. I hope you like all the Pluses it has over the cm400. You live in an area of the country with a long riding season so you really can enjoy it. 90mph is overrated 100 is more fun... just kidding.

I know, it would have been nice if Honda included a gear indicator in their display as I think many of use with standard ctx bikes sometimes find that 6th gear just waiting to be used...lol.

9 years on a cm400 says a lot about Honda's reliability and for a lightweight naked twin of 32 years ago. It also says you liked it to keep it that long. About the same weight as a ctx and taller seat.

I too had a 400 and a 450 when I started riding again after a long break to raising kids. They truely got me back into riding and on a path to better bikes as rode more often and traded up. It was a good Honda model prior to the Rebel twin still being sold today.

For those who don't know what a cm400 is.

cm400 s.jpg

·
Registered
975 Posts
Congratulations! You're going to love this bike.

Sometimes when pulling out from a secondary road to a highway, I too will get up to speed before realizing that I didn't do all five shifts; and thought I was through after only four. And I've been riding it for 4 1/2 months. The bike is so smooth that only looking at the RPM gauge reveals that there is more shifting to do. I can hear the engine while accelerating hard under heavy load, but once up to speed, accelerating slowly, or accelerating down hill, I can't tell the difference between 3,200 RPM and 4,500 by feel or sound. If there is little or no traffic around, I tend to watch the gauge and don't miss going to 6th, but if I'm pulling out into and around highway traffic and having to watch everything around me, that's when I'll sometimes notice that I'm cruising in 5th gear unknowingly.

I think the bike is plenty strong enough to be a five speed and would be more convenient for my leisurely use. Of course then, Honda would have had to spread the gear ratios out and some more sport-oriented riders may not have liked the result. I almost never use 2nd and 3rd gear other than to get to the higher gears, and it seems like I've got to go through the lower gears very quickly in order to ride in a leisurely manner, so for me, five gears would be a better fit. However, this is just a manner complaint. It's a very smooth, easy-to-ride, fuel efficient bike with decent torque to boot.

One thing to note: once you get a windshield, there will be more situations where you can hear what's going on with the engine and/or transmission, but when cruising at speed, all I can hear is a little whine from the drive train which is just barely audible for me with a full-face helmet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. You will love it!

Anyone want to take bets on how long he sticks with that tall Honda shield? ;)
My money is on 3 days max...

·
Banned
463 Posts
Congratulations! You're going to love this bike.

Sometimes when pulling out from a secondary road to a highway, I too will get up to speed before realizing that I didn't do all five shifts; and thought I was through after only four. And I've been riding it for 4 1/2 months. The bike is so smooth that only looking at the RPM gauge reveals that there is more shifting to do. I can hear the engine while accelerating hard under heavy load, but once up to speed, accelerating slowly, or accelerating down hill, I can't tell the difference between 3,200 RPM and 4,500 by feel or sound. If there is little or no traffic around, I tend to watch the gauge and don't miss going to 6th, but if I'm pulling out into and around highway traffic and having to watch everything around me, that's when I'll sometimes notice that I'm cruising in 5th gear unknowingly.

I think the bike is plenty strong enough to be a five speed and would be more convenient for my leisurely use. Of course then, Honda would have had to spread the gear ratios out and some more sport-oriented riders may not have liked the result. I almost never use 2nd and 3rd gear other than to get to the higher gears, and it seems like I've got to go through the lower gears very quickly in order to ride in a leisurely manner, so for me, five gears would be a better fit. However, this is just a manner complaint. It's a very smooth, easy-to-ride, fuel efficient bike with decent torque to boot.

One thing to note: once you get a windshield, there will be more situations where you can hear what's going on with the engine and/or transmission, but when cruising at speed, all I can hear is a little whine from the drive train which is just barely audible for me with a full-face helmet.
Buy a 1953 Ford with a 3 speed manual. You wouldn't have to spend so much energy shifting.
Or, I know.....a scooter!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
gregsfc, I have had 2 5 speed 650 Honda's and having a sixth gear is well worth the effort to shift. Having the ratios split 6 ways offers better acceleration without pushing it hard. More choices on hills and allows top gear to pull better because it is closer to 5th gear in ratio. Wide ration transmissions need more power to work the same. Honda knew there would be those that did not care to shift and offered the automatic. Just as in cars, automatic versions cost more but for some it is what they really need. I think you would have been happier with the auto IMHO.

Hey Vulcan, I had a 54 ford stepside with 3 speed. That should count. Pulled the 6 and put in a 289 with 3 speed, headers, holley 650 double pumper carb and Mallory dual point distributer. It made that 3 speed a lot more fun on the floor too. Column shifting was pretty common up to about mid 70's

·
Banned
463 Posts
Bill, I had a 1954 Ford sedan with the 239 V-8. Was stationed at the radar site outside San Jose. Steep hill coming down, easy to overheat the brakes. Had to double clutch the transmission into first gear to slow that thing down.

Reactions: Billnoroville

·
Registered
975 Posts
Regarding 6 speed. Like I stated, it's just a minor complaint. I've owned nothing but 5 speeds for 31 years except for one scooter, and that's probably what is messing with my mind more than anything. I'm just not used to that extra gear. Would probably be complaining also with a six speed car until I got used to understanding what the extra gear is for. If it were a pure overdrive, I could see the need. Also, I see that many larger cruisers and tourers are five speeds, so there must be something to this at least as a preference for some riders.

And no I'm not going back to a scooter, even though that word is not a negative to me as it is to some. Overall I much prefer this six speed CTX, the better ride, the lower CG, and the better mpg even with more power and weight. One loses too much efficiency and the drive train service is more complicated and expensive when ridden many thousands of miles per year. But scooters have their advantages as well, which I won't get in to, because so many have mind blocks against them.

·
Banned
463 Posts
But scooters have their advantages as well, which I won't get in to, because so many have mind blocks against them.
Yeah, their advantage you push them with your foot........ahhaha!

·
Registered
975 Posts
And that's a bad thing?
You're referring to a kick scooter I guess. In that same frame of thought, everyone that rides a bike is still pedaling.

The BMW 600C runs neck and neck with the NC700X on the twisties and in a drag race and has ten times the storage space.

The Piaggio BV350 out runs a Suzuki Swift Sport:

There are many former scooter owners on this forum. Most owned maxi scooters like Silverwings and Burgmans, and I had a Piaggio BV350. All three are plenty fast and some have the same engines as are in some MCs, so I don't really get what scooter jokes are all about; probably other scooter owners don't get it either. I know it supposed to be funny, but really, what is it that scooter owners are supposed to be feeling inferior about.

·
Banned
463 Posts
so I don't really get what scooter jokes are all about; probably other scooter owners don't get it either. I know it supposed to be funny, but really, what is it that scooter owners are supposed to be feeling inferior about.
If you have to ask.........

1 - 20 of 23 Posts