CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man, what an ordeal this was! As some of you may remember, i had posted a discussion/question on how to change the rear wheel tire as well as unmounting/mounting: First time: Wanting to change rear tire...oh boy.

I took out the exhaust to get a clearer work space as well as enableing my rear stand to fit under the swing arms. Un mounting wasn’t too much of an ordeal. I took out the rear axel nut and the long shaft and boom! Out came the tire and chain was left to hang there for a bit. I took some of y’all’s advice and took the wheel and old tire to have the new tire fitted onto the wheel (as well as a balance). 40 bucks well spent to avoid a headache. Though, mounting it back was a hell of an ordeal...
I had to have a friend come along to hold the wheel up so i can insert the shaft back in. This was when i discovered that i needed to put the brake pads onto the brake plate. Boom! Easy :) I had the mount very easily until i forgot one thing..

The freaking chain!

I totally forgot to put the chain back on before putting the shaft back into the wheel. So we went ahead and started the whole process over... fun stuff hehe. I then noticed that i needed to adjust the slack as well as align the sucker up. I did so accordingly (though I’m not sure i have enough slack on the chain. I looked at the swing arm and adjusted the slack accordingly but I’m not sure if its still at the right slack amount So I’ll make sure to post a quick discussion on that if its not too much hassle).
Anyway, the process took a couple of hours and shoot, i felt like i did well for a first timer!
I also changed out the oil and oil filter which wasn’t so bad. I felt like a true mechanic for a second! Definitely felt like a high after all was done! Thanks to the CTX700 members that participated on my discussion to give me some advice. Couldn’t have done it without you guys!
____

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Synthetic rubber Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Tire Automotive exhaust Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Disc brake Car

-Tigerman

·
Registered
356 Posts
It looks like you got a nice looking tire. I'm sure you are a better man for DIY effort, now you can help all your Buddy's out when they need a new rear tire.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Man, what an ordeal this was! As some of you may remember, i had posted a discussion/question on how to change the rear wheel tire as well as unmounting/mounting: First time: Wanting to change rear tire...oh boy.

I took out the exhaust to get a clearer work space as well as enableing my rear stand to fit under the swing arms. Un mounting wasn’t too much of an ordeal. I took out the rear axel nut and the long shaft and boom! Out came the tire and chain was left to hang there for a bit. I took some of y’all’s advice and took the wheel and old tire to have the new tire fitted onto the wheel (as well as a balance). 40 bucks well spent to avoid a headache. Though, mounting it back was a hell of an ordeal...
I had to have a friend come along to hold the wheel up so i can insert the shaft back in. This was when i discovered that i needed to put the brake pads onto the brake plate. Boom! Easy :) I had the mount very easily until i forgot one thing.. The freaking chain! I totally forgot to put the chain back on before putting the shaft back into the wheel. So we went ahead and started the whole process over... fun stuff hehe. I then noticed that i needed to adjust the slack as well as align the sucker up. I did so accordingly (though I’m not sure i have enough slack on the chain. I looked at the swing arm and adjusted the slack accordingly but I’m not sure if its still at the right slack amount So I’ll make sure to post a quick discussion on that if its not too much hassle).
Anyway, the process took a couple of hours and shoot, i felt like i did well for a first timer!
I also changed out the oil and oil filter which wasn’t so bad. I felt like a true mechanic for a second! Definitely felt like a high after all was done! Thanks to the CTX700 members that participated on my discussion to give me some advice. Couldn’t have done it without you guys!
____

View attachment 86958 View attachment 86959 View attachment 86960 View attachment 86961

-Tigerman
Good on ya! Make sure you don't have the chain too tight. I found a shovel worked really well for reinstalling the rear wheel by myself. It goes without saying that a center stand makes maintenance much easier, safer and quicker.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good on ya! Make sure you don't have the chain too tight. I found a shovel worked really well for reinstalling the rear wheel by myself. It goes without saying that a center stand makes maintenance much easier, safer and quicker.
Hey for sure man! And hm I’ll take that in consideration for sure! So I have my chain on as tight as this (learned how to also link words so that’s pretty cool).
i wonder if that’s just right?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hey for sure man! And hm I’ll take that in consideration for sure! So I have my chain on as tight as this (learned how to also link words so that’s pretty cool).
i wonder if that’s just right?
Can't be sure from here, but it doesn't look too tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts