CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride mostly back and side roads. I ride aggressively. Had to replace rear tire at about 6,000 miles. Tire was completely worn out to left of center. About half gone to right of center. Anyone else experiencing this.
Dave

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hmmm...
Left turns here in the USA mean more lean. [Opposite gets reported in the UK, Oz, etc.] More lean = more wear. Both sides wearing before the center = under-inflation. My $0.02.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm not surprised with your experience. There is a long-term, magazine review somewhere on the NC700X. Can't remember exact quotes, but their point was that the OEM tires wear quickly; maybe 8,000 in the review. They're probably also aggressive riding. I'm not sure, but aren't there a couple of different original tires used by Honda for this bike? Mine are Bridgestones.

Personally, I'll ride mine as far as I can go safely. Wearing good so far nearing 3K. I don't ride aggressively; ride to get from here to there. I'll be looking for high-dollar touring tires when I replace mine for long wear life. As long as they move water away from the tire well, that's all I'll need with respect to performance. Since my pegs have never touched the pavement, I don't think I need sticky tires, and if it's like it was with my scooter, the center will wear out with lots of tread to the left and right. I don't like the hassle of replacing them, so I'll research which tires will give me the most durability. But if aggressive riding were my thing, then I'd have to commit to buying sticky tires and replacing tires more often, because you definitely want the grip to be there every time in every situation.

During the summer, I kept my psi around 38. I like to keep the psi a couple of points high. For winter, I set them to near 40 psi during a mild period . A little high I know, but that way I know that when the temps take a big dip on those cold winter mornings, that I'm still not under inflated. I think I read that for every 10 degree drop one can expect about a one psi loss. My unscientific theory is that a little high is better than a little low based on what I've heard and read. Within reason of course, because over inflation can affect handling, grip, and can blow out a tire more easily when hitting something in the road. I will allow my tire pressure to be a little high due to temperature fluctuations and other factors, but I never want them underflated; not even 1 psi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your uneven wear indicates misalignment. Probably not square when adjusting for chain tension. Get a MotionPro alignment tool as best way to check.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Your uneven wear indicates misalignment. Probably not square when adjusting for chain tension. Get a MotionPro alignment tool as best way to check.
I agree with Fuzzy and would add that if you have hit a pot hole or some very rough road jarring, your forks might be slightly tweaked. If it were forks, you usually should notice an out of alignment handlebar . Easy enough fix for the forks and as Fuzzy stated, the Motion Pro works well for the chain alignment.

Might add that I ride an NC700X and have 9500 miles on the OEM right now with at least a grand left before I switch to the new rubber. On my wifes CTX, I changed the rubber out due to some cupping on the front at about 7000 miles. Both bikes have been ridden across the country on all kinds of roads and conditions together. Regular pressure checks and I'm heavier than her by quite a bit and carry more luggage, so you would think her tires would last longer. Weird science involved I guess.

Hopefully, once you check the above possiblities, that will solve your wear issue. LOL, or make fewer left turns in the future.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
You could also check each side of your rear sprocket to see if one side is worn more than the other. Just another clue if rear tire is not tracking the same line as the front wheel. I believe Honda marks to be accurate for adjusting the axel. No I have not mic'd them. IMHO

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Just replaced (Michelin P3) the rear (Metzler) at 5,500 miles. Center strip worn down to fabric as usual.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I thought the thinking was that tires always wear more on the left side here in the states due to the crown in the roads for water runoff. The opposite would be true if we drove on the left side of the road.:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I thought the thinking was that tires always wear more on the left side here in the states due to the crown in the roads for water runoff. The opposite would be true if we drove on the left side of the road.:confused:
This has been my experience (or theory) as well. Left side always wears down faster, especially with softer tires.

·
Registered
329 Posts
yup, my commuting is all freeway 55-85MPH on superslab, and rear is wearing down on the left. Stock Metzler's... NOT IMPRESSED, since we can't even PEEL OUT with our automatic. I just turned 7000 miles and rear needs to be replaced NOW. Front has 500 miles left in it maybe. 90% of my mileage is commuting 40 miles per day M-F. But I got some overnight rides planned this summer so I am changing them ASAP.

Taking the plunge on Shinko 009 Ravens: video review says two compound, decent grip, and called a "hi mileage tire". Sport bike riders rate them well for the cost. Hope I can get 10,000 miles out of them.

·
Registered
842 Posts
yup, my commuting is all freeway 55-85MPH on superslab, and rear is wearing down on the left. Stock Metzler's... NOT IMPRESSED, since we can't even PEEL OUT with our automatic. I just turned 7000 miles and rear needs to be replaced NOW. Front has 500 miles left in it maybe. 90% of my mileage is commuting 40 miles per day M-F. But I got some overnight rides planned this summer so I am changing them ASAP.

Taking the plunge on Shinko 009 Ravens: video review says two compound, decent grip, and called a "hi mileage tire". Sport bike riders rate them well for the cost. Hope I can get 10,000 miles out of them.
My experience is 180 degrees from yours. I have 9,000+ miles on them. Dealer said last month that the pressures were dead on, and they look great. I live in AZ, where I ride year round. I ride Freeways, High Country, City streets. I do not baby my bike.

I think there is more to it in your case. Not disputing your report, at all. But I do not think your experience is one I would generalize from.

Ride Often, Ride Safe.
f:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is there a big person versus little person effect on tire wear? Tread does more work to accelerate/decelerate/turn the bike for a small guy versus a big guy.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Is there a big person versus little person effect on tire wear? Tread does more work to accelerate/decelerate/turn the bike for a small guy versus a big guy.
Not sure about that but heavier weight usually equates to greater tire wear. Proper tire inflation is critical to tire wear on a bike. So is driving habits. If you ride aggressively by leaning in considerably during turns you will see uneven wear. Riding aggressively on cold tires will also cause them to wear faster.

·
Registered
329 Posts
AHHHHHHHH... good point. I ride 55-85MPH every morning at 730AM on freeway for about 20 miles. I follow CHP recommendations for the most part and keep lane sharing in 30MPH range.

Also, I forgot- what is correct tire pressure? I am 6'1" and weight 250 with gear. I am wondering if I kept the tires too full; 30 psi front and back. They felt kind of hard, but then I had them filled low for about first 6 months. I have never been great at keeping up on tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
AHHHHHHHH... good point. I ride 55-85MPH every morning at 730AM on freeway for about 20 miles. I follow CHP recommendations for the most part and keep lane sharing in 30MPH range.

Also, I forgot- what is correct tire pressure? I am 6'1" and weight 250 with gear. I am wondering if I kept the tires too full; 30 psi front and back. They felt kind of hard, but then I had them filled low for about first 6 months. I have never been great at keeping up on tire pressure.
30psi is way to low. 36psi cold front/rear unless your carrying 200+ lbs. including the rider, then 36psi front/42psi rear. Tires should actually be checked each time you ride. MC tires lose more air at a faster rate than auto tires and handling can be effected severely. A sudden drop in air pressure is also a good indication of a nail or puncture. Better to find that out while sitting in the driveway than out on the road 20-30 miles from home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT

I seen the same wear issue on stock bridgestones. Just got home with new pirelli angel gt's .I like the feel in the twisties had her down to the pegs on both sides in 4th and 5th gears. Now just need time to get out in the rain !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts