CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My main bike is a 2011 KLR650 which I love and will never part with but I am wanting to add a bike that i can take my Girl on with me that is a little more comfy and has a bit more power so how does this bike run on the highways two up? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
267 Posts
We bought ours mostly for that. Now, neither of us are large people. I'm 5'7" (and 190lbs of meh in the winter, drop down to about 180 athletic when its warm). My wife is an inch taller and @ 70lbs less.

We don't have any accessories yet and thus no support. We also haven't had a chance to really go far since it got cold, but it seems really comfortable. When we rode it home all she could say is "all I need is a back rest and we're ready for a road trip!"

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I have the fairing model and ride two up all the time. Bike rides great, handles extremely well with two. Plenty of low and mid range torque. I've installed a box with a back rest on the back so my passenger feels much more at ease back there. I have a Cee Bailey windscreen which has added to her comfort as well as mine. Very little buffeting for her. Buy the fairing model if you plan to ride any distances 2 up. It comes standard with the passenger grab handles and center support to add the brackets for the back rest. The N doesn't come with the grab handles and you will have to buy the center support to add the bracket.

·
Registered
842 Posts
We use my NDT all the time for two-up trips, some as long as 200 mi [with breaks]. My wife loves it; comfy [I had the backrest and carrier installed], plenty of power to climb AZ mountains, responsive, and very stable.

Join us!

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
15 Posts
I rode two up on the DCT fairing version. I'm about 5'8 and 195-200lbs (not an athlete but definitely no stranger to the gym). My ex-girl was on the plus size, not overly big though.

We went for long rides all the time and never had an issue. Still plenty of power and maneuverability. As another poster said, my ex also wanted a backrest for comfort but still didn't mind not having it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the OP's original intent was probably "does the DCT make a difference for 2-up?"

If so, my answer would be nope, not a bit

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Absolutely! Maximum weight capacity for the CTX700 is 388lbs. You should not exceed this. Tire pressure also comes into play. Make sure the rear tire pressure is increased to 42 psi when riding with 200lbs. or more.

·
Registered
329 Posts
500 pounds or BUST!!!

maximum weight ratings are for lawyers! load it up and ride it like ya stole it!
(just kidding. never exceed maximum weight ratings for safety purposes)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have found that much of the stuff I pack doesn't actually weight very much- sleeping bag, cot, sleeping pad, all weighs maybe 20 pounds.

I have also found that I ALWAYS overpack. I have also found motorcycle camping to be A LOT OF WORK!!! If you are staying in motels or just taking day ride, your "carry-on" won't make much of a difference - probably not more than 20 pounds

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Sometimes we all need to be reminded this is a medium size bike designed to carry medium sized loads. I certainly fall in this category. The CTX handles so well under load that I often forget I'm not riding a larger bike. If you need to haul heavy, spend the money and buy a Gold Wing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
well, I think there are other bikes besides the GW, like the up and coming ctx1300 (I will be anxious to see how that compares to our bikes!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does weight matter a great deal. I am 250lbs if I wanted to ride two up on it, would it be an issue/
As long as you don't exceeded the maximum weight limit, you're fine. Any time you add too much weight on anything (especially a bike), it's going to cause a strain and eventually bad things will happen.

My ex girl was plus size and although we didn't exceed the weight limit, I felt and heard the difference in the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
l sold my second Goldwing in 2011 and bought a 2009 (new) VTX1300R. Both of the GW's I owned (2010 & 2003) had a maximum weight limit of 418 pounds. That's driver, passenger and luggage combined. The wife and I exceeded that by over 100 pounds. And that was without the weight of the luggage and the 40 pound tongue weight on the trailer we pulled on trips. Any bike loaded like that is certainly not as nimble, and the tires will wear quicker. But through 46 states loaded down we never had a problem. And considering the CTX700's limit is only 30 pounds less, I personally wouldn't be too concerned exceeding the weight limit by 20% or so. Just my two cents, Just my two cents, but I believe tires determine weight limits more so than the bike itself.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I'm beginning to wonder which bike is the heavy hauler after making my statement about the Gold Wing. The GW weighs 919lbs and hauls 418lbs. Less than 1/2 its curb weight. The CTX700 D weighs 516lbs and hauls 388lbs. Roughly 4/5 its curb weight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts