CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly I will be purchasing my new CTX700ND and since the DCT isn't available in Canada, I'm forced to buy it in the US and trailer it back.

My question....Having never transported a motorcycle before, I plan on renting a Uhaul motorcycle trailer to bring it back. What type of tie downs are recommended. I see there are grip type that seem to work well.

Any recommendation or cautions?

Robert

·
Registered
59 Posts
If your thinking the grip type is a canyon dancer don't use it or buy one, they work ok on clipon handlebars but put to much leverage on standard bars, they will pull the bar down and loose tension. get a set of 4 quality ratcheting tie down straps with a loop at the short end that you will loop around the low end of the handle bar, the part that is flat and close to the handle bar clamp, one strap on each side. Tighten both straps equally to collapse the front forks about 50% of travel. also it would be good if the trailer had a front tire rail keeping the front from sliding left or right. The front straps do 99% of the work. I see nothing to tie to on the rear, bring a bath towel folded several times and lie across the rear seat to protect the seat and body work from damage, you only need one strap across the rear to stabilize it with minimal down force, make sure your not putting pressure on the plastic panel in the rear, the seat will not be damaged with the towel under the strap and draped down and covering the plastic. The dealer will also help you, they do a lot of transporting, at least here you will know what to buy and rent. Uhaul does have some M/C trailers but I don't know if they have the front tire rails.

I have transported several M/C's cross country using this technique. Just last sept I transported my NC700DCT from my Az home to my home in NC, was in an enclosed trailer with other stuff, no problem, Also picked up a used CB1100 in Vegas in Jan and brought it home to Az. I would have rode that one home its only 300 miles but no windscreen or luggage, we had fun in vegas though.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Ratcheting straps with 4 seperate soft strap loops is the best way to go. I keep a couple of kids flotation noodles cut in half and split down the middle on one side to keep from scratching up my bike or furniture when using straps or ropes. Slip the noodle over the strap and tighten away. Wont blow away or flap around like a towel. Soggybottom is correct on the single strap for the rear. I cinch the back down just enough to compress the rear shock slightly. I also tie a strap or short rope to the wheel and trailer front tight enough to keep the bike in place if there isn't a tire bracket or channel to keep the front tire secure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The newer straps have the loop built in, the short end with hook on one end and ratchet on other has a loop built the middle in so you can eliminate the extra loop straps. Being Knish will be buying new straps anyway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The newer straps have the loop built in, the short end with hook on one end and ratchet on other has a loop built the middle in so you can eliminate the extra loop straps. Being Knish will be buying new straps anyway.
Soggy,
What ties did you ultimately buy/use?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Everyone ties their loads a little differently. I prefer to use the cam buckle tie downs on anything with a suspension. You just push down on the the suspension and pull the strap tight. They hold securely, I haven't lost a motorcycle yet. :) I choose to strap each corner of the bike. A little redundancy is never a bad thing while securing loads. I also recommend stopping a few times to check all is secured.

·
Registered
83 Posts
From personal experience, I would avoid using a grip harness, when I bought my NT700V, the dealer snapped the turn signal module.....they of course fixed it, but I lost the bike for 2 weeks. I have been able to use 3 regular tie-downs on a U-haul trailer.

Paul

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Shortly I will be purchasing my new CTX700ND and since the DCT isn't available in Canada, I'm forced to buy it in the US and trailer it back.

My question....Having never transported a motorcycle before, I plan on renting a Uhaul motorcycle trailer to bring it back. What type of tie downs are recommended. I see there are grip type that seem to work well.

Any recommendation or cautions?

Robert
We are headed out for a coastal camping trip and we have our motorcycles on the trailer as we speak. Some things to remember when you down your straps, don't run the straps over metal that will have a tendency to cut through the straps during the transport. We learned that the first time and during a routine check saw that the straps were nearly severed.

These handle bar tiedowns are very convenient.
The quick release tiedowns are easy to use and convenient.
Make sure the S hook is a true hook as opposed to an incomplete S. (I'll show a picture) -friend learned the hard way.
Make sure your emergency break is on if dct.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts