CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I haven't bought a CTX (or NC700) yet but want to do so before Spring arrives in N.Central IL. Been eyeballing the CTX700N and NC700X since last summer but have been on the fence about DCT or Manual.

IMO Plus points for each:
NC700X - upright seating, its a Honda, storage bin, economy, and appearance.
CTX700N - knee angle (>90 degrees), its a Honda, economy, and appearance.

A little background: both knees are basically shot from a spirited youth (44 now), damaged hip, and my left ankle isn't as flexible as it use to be. T-bone accident did in the hip and ankle a decade ago. 5'11" 33" inseam. Rides last anywhere from an hour commute to 6 hours cruising around.

Here's where I get stuck to make a decision: knee angle and stop N go traffic performance at stop signs.

Knee angle: My knees really don't like being bent in a sport bike position (<85 degree angle) for very long (less than an hour). I can ride my scooter all day long with only minor aches in the knees (about 90 degree angle). So, I'm wondering if NC700X would have a good knee angle? Sit-on trial at the dealer is not long enough to tell.

StopNGo: To decide if DCT is right or not would boil down to stopNgo type traffic found at stop signs with long lines. (I've got several of these on my commute.) Speeds barely reaching 3mph then stop, rinse and repeat. My scooter is annoying, in that the engine revs to 2k before the clutch grabs enough to move me (on a long hill) and feels a little like I'm popping the clutch on a manual transmission. The question for this is, What is the DCT performance like in this traffic condition? Does it *pop* into gear? Or is the transition smooth from a stop? How well is the transmission modulated (auto-shift between first-neutral-first) at speeds below 5 mph?

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated. If you need more info, please feel free to ask. Cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've owned a Bergman Scooter and now I have a CTX700 (also rode traditional motorcycles all my life.)

You will absolutely LOVE the DCT in stop&go traffic. Even at <3mph it is smooth as butter. Twist a little and you go a little .. twist a lot and you go a lot.

You simply cannot stall this bike - nothing I've thrown at it confuses the clutch computer -- the Honda engineers have outdone themselves.

Paul/

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you have a Zuma 125cc now, I suggest you include a Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650 Exec, and Honda Silverwing in your option list. Your used to scooter riding position and if it works for you don't be in a hurry to walk away from that. I almost bought a big Suzuki Burgman 650 EXEC- I chose the CTX700ND because of the cruiser riding postion I was used to.

I like the low speed shifting of the CTX700 in Sport mode: it stays in first at low speeds, and does not feel clunky to me. Some on the forum only ride in the MT manual mode, so you could leave it in 1st gear the whole time you are slow. I will only shift up independently if RPM redline is close to harming the engine, so your safe unless accelerating beyond safe RPM for that gear you rolling in.

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The CTX is probably the best commuter bike sold today! The DCT only enhances this. Its smooth shifting no effort riding is much more efficient than your scooter with the power of a motorcycle under the seat to open new avenues. Its smaller size and weight make it a breeze to handle unlike the heavy weights that are taxing in stop and go traffic. Cruising is comfortable. Consider the fairing model with the DCT. Much better for commuting and easier to add accessories down the road. No mater which bike you choose, you will want to add a good windshield for higher speed riding. Your injuries may pose an issue after all it is a motorcycle and it takes much more effort to get on than a scooter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The best reason to get DCT, IMHO, is that you get ABS. I wouldn't ride without it.

Reactions: Jetmech1

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
For an extra grand you get the fairing model, DCT, ABS, rear center support and passenger grab handles. Add a Cee Bailey Windscreen, carrier and brackets and your good to go. With this model and the listed accessories your free to add additional accessories to turn the bike into a 1st class commuter or a smaller touring bike with all the advantages.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i am also 5'11" and 33" inseam, and i ride in some of the worst and most intense stop-and-go in the states. the dct starts as soon as you turn the throttle -- no cvt-style windup. with your knees you will want to keep the stock seat, and you will have ZERO problems flatfooting it with some knee bend at a stop. forward controls means your legs are stretched in front of you, which i find pretty comfortable overall.

at parade speeds, it's rock solid and easy to handle. the ONLY annoyance is that both D and S modes shift from 1st to 2nd at 12 mph, and it has maybe 2500 revs on the clock? i hate that and leave it in MT, and toggle an upshift around 23-25 and 5K+ revs. ymmv.

given your condition and needs, i'd venture that the ctx700d is the ideal bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just traded my Burgman 650 in on a CTX700D. The CTX is a lot easier to handle since it's about 100 pounds lighter. Very nice ride.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well there you go- wbeedee tossed in his opinion, and having owned a Burgman 400S, I can tell you the short wheel base and small wheels was unsettling in panic stops. I added the big Kuryakyn floorboards, so I have plenty of place to move around my big size 14's. Since DCT means NO MANUAL SHIFTER on the left side, i have lots of room to stretch out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a knee and ankle that act as barometers. I can force them to move when cold but I can tell in 20 years it will be an irritation (20+ years of martial arts!).

Coming from scoots and driving far too much in urban traffic, I love the dct. You can shift when needed, but don't have to be bothered otherwise.

I would try both versions. I'm short so I took the fairing version, no storage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Everyone.

I haven't bought a CTX (or NC700) yet but want to do so before Spring arrives in N.Central IL. Been eyeballing the CTX700N and NC700X since last summer but have been on the fence about DCT or Manual.

IMO Plus points for each:
NC700X - upright seating, its a Honda, storage bin, economy, and appearance.
CTX700N - knee angle (>90 degrees), its a Honda, economy, and appearance.

A little background: both knees are basically shot from a spirited youth (44 now), damaged hip, and my left ankle isn't as flexible as it use to be. T-bone accident did in the hip and ankle a decade ago. 5'11" 33" inseam. Rides last anywhere from an hour commute to 6 hours cruising around.

Here's where I get stuck to make a decision: knee angle and stop N go traffic performance at stop signs.

Knee angle: My knees really don't like being bent in a sport bike position (<85 degree angle) for very long (less than an hour). I can ride my scooter all day long with only minor aches in the knees (about 90 degree angle). So, I'm wondering if NC700X would have a good knee angle? Sit-on trial at the dealer is not long enough to tell.

StopNGo: To decide if DCT is right or not would boil down to stopNgo type traffic found at stop signs with long lines. (I've got several of these on my commute.) Speeds barely reaching 3mph then stop, rinse and repeat. My scooter is annoying, in that the engine revs to 2k before the clutch grabs enough to move me (on a long hill) and feels a little like I'm popping the clutch on a manual transmission. The question for this is, What is the DCT performance like in this traffic condition? Does it *pop* into gear? Or is the transition smooth from a stop? How well is the transmission modulated (auto-shift between first-neutral-first) at speeds below 5 mph?

Any help or insight would be very much appreciated. If you need more info, please feel free to ask. Cheers!
I owned the CTX700 DCT in the fairing model. All I can say is, ungodly comfortable. I rode for hours on end without any discomfort. I'm not sure how you will hold up with your injuries but I can't imagine you NOT being comfortable. Especially if you have the DCT version where you're not depending on your injured ankle to shift gears. The bike is really comfortable. I'm 5'08 and weigh 195 and had ZERO issues.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm 5'8 and a 30.5" inseam, and I think the CTX700 fits me just right, but if I were 5'11" with a 33" inseam, I would have spent alot of time sitting on both the NC700X and the CTX700, and it would have been a much harder decision on which one to buy, since they are, in alot of ways, the same bike with a different styling cues, riding position, and seat height. I've owned only a scooter with straight up-and-down foot positions and a CTX700 with a forward foot positions, so I don't know whether or not I would like the slightly rearward foot pegs or not for long-term ownership. Since the NC700X was a little tall for my inseam and my only serious consideration for going from a scooter to a MC was this power train, this wasn't something that I spent alot of time thinking about, but if a NC700S were available in the U.S. I would have spent alot of time deciding which riding position I preferred. I think that the CTX would leave me a little cramped on the long rides if I had a 33" inseam, however, many taller riders are more used to being scrunched up in a lot of situations, so this may be no big deal for you. Your idea of being scrunched up and mine may be different, since my vertical challenge keeps me from rarely being in that situation.

If I had decided that both were about equal preference as far as riding stance, and I had no preference towards one styling choice or the other (which I don't), and I had a 33" inseam, then I would have picked the NC700X. There are a few negatives, however. The NC700X has lots of complaints about the seat. One tends to slide forward towards the frunk, especially if one is short; the seat is supposedly a little firmer and more plasticly feeling and it's a little bit of a hassle to get to the fuel tank. The CTX700 has a really wide, comfortable seat for this price point. The grab handles on the fairing model are nice. I use them alot, especially from the rear of the bike. These can be added to the N model.

Both the CTX700 and NC700X get really poor reviews with respect to the OEM tall windscreen effectiveness, so in either case, I'd skip the stock tall screen and opt for one of the after market screens. Both are available in standard or D model; the CTX700N comes in the cheapest with or without DCT/ABS; the NC700X comes in second place; and the CTX700 (with fairing) is the most expensive; however, only a few hundred dollars set them apart, and these prices are subject to negotiations, so you would really have to see what kind of deal you could get on each.

The NC700X comes with the frunk and also has more OEM luggage capacity options that you can add to it for a price. So with the NC700X you can equip it to hold 21+29+45 liters for a total luggage capacity of 95 liters; frunk + saddle cases + top case, respectively. The CTXs come with (I'm going to guess) about a 3 or 4 liter cubby near the fuel tank and one can add 29 liters with the saddle cases, and then add a rear rack and then buy an after-market top case of your choice. So if having OEM accessories and lots of luggage space is a priority, the NC700X wins by a landslide.

·
Registered
329 Posts
CTX700 comes with a tiny "glove box" just above the fuel filler cap (to the 3.2 gallon gas tank). You will not be able to put anything in that box but your registration and proof of insurance. Maybe your cell phone, but I use a tank bag so I only keep bike documents in there.

Seen on my bike is a 19L tank bag, which fits the tank real well because it's long and thin with large capacity. Those are hippohands covering my grips. You will need to add a box or carry bay. I like the Honda saddlebags but couldn't justify the price (just my preference).

Dig around for luggage options in the forums and you will find PLENTY of alternatives :)

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
the glove box is actually pretty handy and a lot larger than it looks. The access is small but the box extends the full width of the tank. Its approx. 3x3x10". I keep quite a bit in there such as hard sun glass case, pack of smokes, Bic cigarette lighter, small brush, small LED flash light, Pen, small pad for keeping track of mileage and a few other items. Don't keep your cell phone in there though. It gets way too hot for the battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you

Wow, thank you for the replies. It has really helped to decide which is for me. Sounds like a CTX700ND is the one. Just to need to add some aftermarket bags for the commute. Its going to be awesome. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the Honda saddlebags but couldn't justify the price (just my preference).

Dig around for luggage options in the forums and you will find PLENTY of alternatives :)
Completely agree with you on the Honda saddle bags.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well there you go- wbeedee tossed in his opinion, and having owned a Burgman 400S, I can tell you the short wheel base and small wheels was unsettling in panic stops. I added the big Kuryakyn floorboards, so I have plenty of place to move around my big size 14's. Since DCT means NO MANUAL SHIFTER on the left side, i have lots of room to stretch out.
Definitely want to get the floorboards. Is there a good source for them and about how much do they run?

I know what you mean about short wheel base and small wheels. Having heard the concern from others before getting the Zuma, practicing panic stops each spring helped to manage the behavior. Still gets the heart going though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
There are threads on here concerning both of your inquiries, including how to do it. Bill installed home made saddle stays that look good and were cheap and then got some after market saddle bags and installed them on his bike. If I remember right, he was out less than $100 and looks really good to me and serve the purpose every bit as well as the OEM cases.

There is also a thread or two about installing some after-market floor boards. I think those run about $300 or so.

I've not opted for either of these options, so I didn't subscribe to those threads, but let us know on the forum if you can't find these threads through a search when you get ready to get into the details. We'll help you if you can't find them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The weather has finally broken in this part of the country and I called the local dealership and arranged for a test ride of a 700D DCT on Friday. Temps should be in the upper 50's at ride time so we should be able to stay comfortable. The one I'm riding has the Honda tall windshield, but if and when I buy, I will decline that option and go with a Cee Bailey.

I posted the scoots (Vespa GTS250ie & Majesty) on Craig's list and have gotten some calls although some of these folks apparently are looking for me to sell at charity prices. With two days this week with the temperature hitting 80, I think the more serious buyers will soon call. Bottom line if I don't get a reasonable deal in selling the scoots then the CTX will just be a pipe dream and I'll stay on the scooters.

I've shopped all the dealers locally and only found 1 who was willing to deal off list ($1,000 off with $85 shipping), so I'm set to pull the trigger with him if and when we can make a sale. Other than the windshield I probably will add a top box. I'm watching the discussions on that side right now. Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences and knowledge. The ride will be the final variable that I have to take into consideration in moving forward.

Jack

·
Registered
59 Posts
with all due respect the 700X sets very high and with 33 inches of reach I think you will come up short and in stop and go you may be unstable...CtX 700 sets very low and is very manageable in stop and go yet with feet on the pegs you are very relaxed ....JMHO

1 - 20 of 22 Posts