CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my CTX700ND to my dealer today to talk to him about trading it in. I've had it for about 3 weeks and put about 200 miles on it. I paid $9000 otd for the bike (with rear grips and carrier as accessories). (It would have been about $10k if I had paid sticker price.)

Due to disability issues, I just can't get comfortable riding it. I love the look of the bike and I love going down the road on it, but I'm just not able to handle it at low speeds comfortably. It's just a bit too big for me. So, I asked the dealer about trading it in for a Forza.

He told me that because the CTX700ND is so new, its value isn't in the books yet. So, he said with that uncertainty, he could only offer me $6000 for it. I walked out.

Is it reasonable to accept a $3k loss on a $9k bike that is less than a month old and only has 200 miles on it? I knew I'd take a hit, but not 1/3rd of the value. Many of you know bikes more than I do. Is this ridiculous?

I guess I'll need to try to sell it on craigs list.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I took my CTX700ND to my dealer today to talk to him about trading it in. I've had it for about 3 weeks and put about 200 miles on it. I paid $9000 otd for the bike (with rear grips and carrier as accessories). (It would have been about $10k if I had paid sticker price.)

Due to disability issues, I just can't get comfortable riding it. I love the look of the bike and I love going down the road on it, but I'm just not able to handle it at low speeds comfortably. It's just a bit too big for me. So, I asked the dealer about trading it in for a Forza.

He told me that because the CTX700ND is so new, its value isn't in the books yet. So, he said with that uncertainty, he could only offer me $6000 for it. I walked out.

Is it reasonable to accept a $3k loss on a $9k bike that is less than a month old and only has 200 miles on it? I knew I'd take a hit, but not 1/3rd of the value. Many of you know bikes more than I do. Is this ridiculous?

Unfortunately accessories net 0 dollars. Take them off and sell here in the classifieds. When looking that bike could be bought for about 7500 so he is very close on what I would expect. Trading a vehicle never ends well. Sorry to hear that it is not working out for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Well, it's like buying a new car one day and taking it back a month later, or even the next day for that matter. It's not the number of miles that you put on that's the problem. Even if it only had 20 miles on it, you would still take a big hit. The reason for the big hit is that title of the big has changed hands. Once title changes hands, the value drops dramatically. You would probably be better off selling to an individual.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Every new car or bike depreciates lots when you drive it off the lot. I looked at NADA and Kelly and your dealer was right about too new to list.

Explore local dealers to see what base model is going for. You advantage is no shipping or uncrating and less sales tax (and tax on the accessories) . Also all the accessories are added on to that value of the bike. If all your accessories are factory then they add value and are already on the bike. Not factory ads very little and might be best removed.
show how the base price jumps from the MSRP (buyers can't escape that if buying from dealer).

Most Craig's list ads allow 8-12 pictures and long descriptions. Describe in detail why it is a benefit to buy your used bike with everything installed. Take good pictures. Limit test rides to cash in hand (read some ads to see what I am talking about). Mention what paperwork you have and why you are selling it.

You can usually run ads in more than 1 city by changing it some in the heading and body of text. Read all the area ads for similar new bikes with very low miles.

It is a buyers market for used bikes. As long as dealers have them on the floor they are not High Demand which makes them harder to get a higher price for. The market sets the price, you have to get the top part of the market.

You may not get that much more selling it yourself but I bet it will be more than any trade in you are getting. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
All new autos and powersports take a 10-20% hit just taking it off the lot. Best resale values are always in private sales. Dealers by low just to resell at fair market price to gain some intrest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just seemed a bit extreme to me. I was hoping to do a bit better... especially if trading it against another bike.

Maybe I'll work something out with them after I pay my loan down a bit. I've never actually tried to sell a vehicle before paying it off. So this is new to me.

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
It just seemed a bit extreme to me. I was hoping to do a bit better... especially if trading it against another bike.

Maybe I'll work something out with them after I pay my loan down a bit. I've never actually tried to sell a vehicle before paying it off. So this is new to me.

Thanks for your input.
I doubt you will get much response if they have to pay off your loan. Most buyers when they decide to look will typically come with cash and try to talk you down a few hundred at least then ride it home or haul it. Since you don't have a clear title that throws a wrench in this type of sale. Trading in might be your only hope. Try another dealer too. maybe another brand if they have something you could use. Consignment places may be worth looking into just be sure about your insurance coverage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I know everyone’s situation is different, but if you can find some way to keep this bike, then do so. Having a string of would-be bargain hunters line up for a “test-ride” will be the kiss of death for what is a pristine machine. 12 months from now, one of two things will have happened. The CTX will go the way of the DN-01 or it will be the best thing since sliced bread. Either way, the earliest example will become a collectable. All the better if the rumour mill is correct and a bigger displacement is just around the corner. The first of any model is always the most prized further down the line.
When the word gets around, someone will come along and appreciate the fact that you are the only one to have ridden it and offer you a more acceptable price.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for your input. I really do appreciate your incites.

I do have a loan on the bike, but I only took the loan because the interest rate was so low. I can pay the loan off today if I need to in order to simplify selling it to a private buyer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As an experienced rider, when I bought mine the salesman offerred that I could trade within a year and only lose about $1k of value plus the taxes and fees. He was assuming I would want to trade up to a Gold Wing (I'm not).

·
Registered
309 Posts
As an experienced rider, when I bought mine the salesman offerred that I could trade within a year and only lose about $1k of value plus the taxes and fees. He was assuming I would want to trade up to a Gold Wing (I'm not).
I think your sales person was lying. They can't guarantee that (unless maybe it's a lease and you go over your mileage allowance). Trade in value is set by demand and how popular a bike or car is, so not sure how he could guarantee that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think your sales person was lying. They can't guarantee that (unless maybe it's a lease and you go over your mileage allowance). Trade in value is set by demand and how popular a bike or car is, so not sure how he could guarantee that.
I agree. Sounds like complete BS. Dealers are there to make money, not lose money. There is no way they are going to make money by taking a 1-year-old bike at $1K less than what a new one costs. Either the previous poster did not understand what the dealer was saying, or the dealer wasn't divulging all the details.

The the OP - unfortunately, any time you trade-in (be it car or bike), you're going to get hosed. You'll get more trying to do a private party sale, however:

1) dealing with buyers from Craigslist is a real PITA more often than not. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it. I just went through this selling my old Vulcan. Pain, pain, pain...

2) Considering the price range, it may be tough finding a cash buyer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back to the dealer and talked to my regular salesman yesterday. He talked some sense into the sales manager and I got a better deal on the trade in. I ended up about where you said Cosmic. This is the third bike I've purchased this year from them, so they helped me out on the trade and on the sales price of a new bike.

Anyway, I traded my CTX700ND in on a Forza with ABS. I picked the Forza up today and I'm really glad I made the switch. The Forza is much more manageable for me. I do miss the power of the CTX, but the Forza has plenty of power and will cruise at 80 mph. Most importantly, the Forza is much more suited to my skill level and I feel much more confident riding it. I am disabled with a spine disorder which has caused some issues with the strength in my legs. The 100 lb difference between the bikes makes a world of difference. Owning and riding a bike was on my bucket list, so I'm doing that while I still can.

I think the CTX700ND is a fabulous bike, but it was just heavier than I could handle safely. Maybe I would have gotten the hang of it eventually, but I just wanted to be able to get on a bike and have fun. The Forza does that.

I did do a lot of research before I bought the CTX700ND and thought it would be a good first motorcycle. It just wasn't the right bike for me. I am sure it is the right bike for others.

I will continue to lurk on this site. You are a great group. It's rare to find a site with so many smart people and so little bickering!

See you around.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Glad it worked out.

Congrats on the Forza. I love the proper instrument cluster they put in this thing. Now why couldn't they have put it in the CTX as well? I guess space was an issue.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I went back to the dealer and talked to my regular salesman yesterday. He talked some sense into the sales manager and I got a better deal on the trade in. I ended up about where you said Cosmic. This is the third bike I've purchased this year from them, so they helped me out on the trade and on the sales price of a new bike.

Anyway, I traded my CTX700ND in on a Forza with ABS. I picked the Forza up today and I'm really glad I made the switch. The Forza is much more manageable for me. I do miss the power of the CTX, but the Forza has plenty of power and will cruise at 80 mph. Most importantly, the Forza is much more suited to my skill level and I feel much more confident riding it. I am disabled with a spine disorder which has caused some issues with the strength in my legs. The 100 lb difference between the bikes makes a world of difference. Owning and riding a bike was on my bucket list, so I'm doing that while I still can.

I think the CTX700ND is a fabulous bike, but it was just heavier than I could handle safely. Maybe I would have gotten the hang of it eventually, but I just wanted to be able to get on a bike and have fun. The Forza does that.

I did do a lot of research before I bought the CTX700ND and thought it would be a good first motorcycle. It just wasn't the right bike for me. I am sure it is the right bike for others.

I will continue to lurk on this site. You are a great group. It's rare to find a site with so many smart people and so little bickering!

See you around.
Post a photo and your impressions, riding is riding. Looks like a cool scoot, that display is incredible.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Good luck to you Darth Emma! I appreciated your posts.
I had a similar situation which caused me to trade down in size/weight to the ctx from a Yamaha 950 (bad knees). In my case too, the reduction weight of around 100lb made all the difference. I think you will be as content with the move to the Forza as I was going to the ctx.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all of you for not making me feel like an ijit. (I told you this was a great site!). I was terribly embarrassed to have purchased the beautiful CTX700ND and just not be able to get the hang of it.

As for the Forza, I love it. I will get it out later today and take a picture to post. As mentioned above, the instrument cluster is wonderful. It is mostly analog and very easy to read. (I usually need reading glasses, but I don't need glasses for driving and I can still read it easily).

The ride it not quite as smooth as the CTX (as you'd expect from smaller wheels), but it is still very good. What I love most about it is that the low speed maneuvering and turning corners is MUCH easier for me. I can go around corners at reasonable speeds with no difficulty at all. Maneuvering at low speeds is a piece of cake. It's as easy (maybe even easier) to maneuver in parking lots than my Ruckus.

The Forza does not have the acceleration the CTX did (less than half the engine size does that), but it still has plenty of zip for me. I got it up to 65 with no issues at all and wan't yet at full throttle. Other owners say the Forza will cruise at 85+. I don't drive that fast, so I think the power on the highway will be enough for me.

I was riding into a bit of a headwind yesterday and I notice the Forza is harder to ride in the wind than the CTX was. Fortunately, I ordered the taller windshield from Honda for the Forza. The dealer should get it today and be able to install it before the weekend.

Just as a little background, I have only been riding a 50 cc Honda Ruckus all summer on my permit. I took the Motorcycle Safety Course about a month about a month ago, so I've only had my license about a month. After riding the "bigger" 250 cc bikes in the course, I knew I wanted a bigger bike, so I started researching bikes. The CTX initially looked like a good fit for me, but it was just a bit too much of step up for the 50 cc Ruckus for me. The Forza was a better bike at this stage.

There were 2 things I notice about the Forza that I miss from the CTX. First, is the acceleration. That was really fun on the CTX. The Forza has good power, but not nearly as much torque as the CTX. And second, the way the seat feels on the CTX. That low saddle was awesome. The Forza seat is comfy, but not as good as the CTX. However, I do NOT miss the forward pegs on the CTX. I like having my feet a bit further back for balance on the Forza.

I may eventually outgrow the Forza and be back shopping for another bike like the CTX. I think if Honda made a 500 cc DCT bike with a low seat like the CTX that it would be my next move in a couple of years. OR if they made a bike like the CTX, but with an aluminum frame so that it is lighter I might do that too.

But, for right now, I'm enjoying the Forza. It is so nice to go out to the garage and be excited to go riding now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
However, I do NOT miss the forward pegs on the CTX. I like having my feet a bit further back for balance on the Forza.
For me, this was the primary reason why I ended up not buying the CTX. I just felt like my legs were stretched out too much. For someone with short inseam, this is a problem. Otherwise, I loved the smoothness and pretty much everything else about the CTX. That 670cc parallel twin is a masterpiece. I ended up with a BMW with an 800cc parallel twin, mainly because I prefered its riding position, but the BMW engine isn't as buttery smooth as the Honda, at least not once you hit 4K rpm and above.

Alas, as was said by others time and time again, there is no perfect bike. We have to focus on what's important to us and learn to live with the less important stuff.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts