CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I solved all of my issues with turning the CTX into a tourer:

Trophy - TennesseeSmith's Photos

I traded away the Wee Strom and I have moved the CTX to secondary duty. I'll use it for puttering around the local roads, commuting, and a few shorter trips. I would expect the CTX to get around 6,000 miles per year in this secondary role.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Ken, that is one beautiful bike. The CTX could never come close to this level of touring bike even if you put the $12k difference into it (even if you could). Seems like many bike choices are now offered with 3 cylinder engines. Triumph has done well offering small, medium and large versions of 3 cylinder engines. Your new bike has many electronic creature and safety features that will enhance you touring endeavors by allowing changes as you ride. Wow, just the 133HP will make passing quick and safe. The 665 pounds will make it steadier under way but maybe slightly harder going slow. Seems a lot of tradeoffs you think will fit what you want in a touring bike. This is just another example that says the CTX is good up to a point but if you want more, you have to look elsewhere. You got a new bike that is well reviewed and liked due to it's excellent features. I compliment you on getting what you want. Happy riding.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A Triumph Trophy and a CTX? Which ever way you look at it, you're still comparing apples and oranges. My 50yo Brit 500 single will match the CTX for gas mileage and eat it for performance, but it won't go a week without reaching for the tool-roll. It's macho and cool to look at, but as uncomfortable as all get-out. It's worth thirty times more than I paid for it, but I can't leave it outside while I go inside for a cup of coffee. It's a pig to start and it leaks oil all over the driveway but I still love it to death. What other bike devotes three pages of the owners manual on how to start the d*** thing? It's proportional to the number of people watching. Nobody watching, one kick. Six people watching, six kicks. Twenty people watching...forget it. When it arrives, the CTX will give me all the things I'm missing, and I'll simply overlook it's short-coming. We all need more than one bike in the garage.
I mean, just how many shoes and handbags do the girls need?

·
Registered
975 Posts
A Triumph Trophy and a CTX? ...We all need more than one bike in the garage.
I mean, just how many shoes and handbags do the girls need?
Not me. I'm a one car, one bike kind of guy, and if I could get away without the car, I would just own a bike. I don't even have a garage to collect them and don't have any interest in doing so. I've got a carport for our two cars and a dedicated soft shed for one bike.

I use vehicles for enjoyable transportation but don't have a problem with others that are in to bikes and enjoying the features, riding nuances of each, and styling of enjoying more than one. Personally though, I can't stand having extra vehicles sitting around for occasional use. This is not a hobby for me, nor do I bring in the income to start this sort of hobby. When I bought my diesel car in '05, I tried keeping my '89 F150 pickup that looked like new. Thought that keeping the pickup for times that I needed a pickup would be good, but I hated having two cages. I rarely needed the pickup for hauling, and I found myself riding it to work once a week just to keep it in prime shape, and then I was washing and waxing it, tagging it, and occasionally driving it, while not really even needing it. I loved that truck, but I sold it. It worried me to death having two vehicles while needing only one.

My point is that there are different kinds of riders, although I would concede that I'm in the minority. I'm a daily commuter kind of rider that likes to stick with and maintain only one bike. Two or more bikes would worry me to death just like it did when I owned two cages.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
one car, one bike. nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat. Many are in that same mind set so you are not alone. Many are not and have many bikes because they like the variance different bikes provide and they can somehow not worry about the extra costs.

In the end we all give up our bikes then we give up our cars, then comes the power chairs, and then no wheels.

·
Registered
975 Posts
one car, one bike. nothing wrong with that if it floats your boat. Many are in that same mind set so you are not alone. Many are not and have many bikes because they like the variance different bikes provide and they can somehow not worry about the extra costs.

In the end we all give up our bikes then we give up our cars, then comes the power chairs, and then no wheels.
Some, however, keep wheels till the end; if their hospital beds are on wheels.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Some, however, keep wheels till the end; if their hospital beds are on wheels.
yep, you got a good point there.

I have told both of my sons that when I die, I don't need a coffin, just dig a big enough hole for my cobra and set me in the drivers seat. They can't drive a stick anyway. So I will be taking my wheels with me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts