1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
130 o_O You have a very special CTX

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The max I have ever heard on a CTX is 124 maybe 125 (manual) under prefect very rare conditions. Usually we can get them over 100 but nothing near top 120's

·
Registered
915 Posts
Check your speedometer. A lot of these bikes are out a few percentages. Mine is showing fast by about 5 percent according to GPS and Radar. The only way mine might hit much over 100 mph would be with a tailwind running downhill. It will go just as fast in 5th gear as 6th gear. On a normal day on a flat road it will not rev out enough in 6th because the horsepower just isn't there. In 5th it will hit the rpm limit but stick it in 6th and I lose a couple of hundred rpm's. I am not a fat guy either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I imagine it would take a combination of factors to make a 40 mph difference. Ambient temperature and drafting are possibilities. As for a mechanical change, I would start by looking at the air filter if you haven’t already done so.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I understand on paper the CTX should be limited to 95MPH, however this was not my personal experience. I’ll be sure to keep my go pro on for you next time and provide you a direct reference before posting my question and experience.

The purpose of my post was to make sense of how my bike was responding and see if anyone felt a lag or change in top speed after break in.
Please do keep your go pro on. And a record from a gps would be helpful.
I mean no disrespect but there is no way I will ever believe 130mph on a ctx.
What gear were you in?
Were you in the middle of the group going that fast?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is a video from Germany. The bike is NC700S, not a big difference to CTX700. The max. speed is 188 kmh and revs 6000. Seems to be a manual transmission model.

·
Registered
915 Posts
One way to find out about the change in top end would be to go and do that original run over again with the same conditions. Who knows maybe the elevation on that road is down hill and sometimes it is hard to tell from the seat. I am not doubting your claim but that is quite a drop in power. 90 plus seems a little more common for this bike.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
A 700 cc engine doing 130. I had an 1130CC engine, with altered clutch, racing adjustments and a strong tailwind, level road, and just made 160 accidentally maxed. I know I can get my CTX over 106-110 with exceptional conditions strong tail wind and maybe a downhill straight 30% grade. I have no idea how I could ever reach 125 let alone 130. I am not sure if the bike could support that speed for any length of time. I think even on a dyno it is hard to reach into the 120's. Is it possible?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just plugged the primary/gearbox/final drive ratios for a manual 700 from a factory manual into my gearing spreadsheet. I used a stock tire size but in a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III (because Dunlop is good about giving an overall diameter in their specifications). A Motorcyclist magazine shootout of mid-size cruisers showed a dyno chart for the 700 with a peak power of 44hp at 6000 RPM and what looks like a forced red line of about 6300 RPM.

If 6300 RPM could be pulled in 6th gear with that Dunlop tire the speed would be 119.59 mph, with the redline speed in 5th gear of 96.96 mph.

With the generally not very aerodynamic bodywork/riding position of the CTX (large frontal area and lots of drag from exposed feet/arms/hand) I think the CTX would be doing fantastically well to pull redline in 6th. Honda parts fiche show the NC and CTX with the same 16/43 final drive gearing. A Cycle World roadtest of the NC700X in 2012 shows a measured top speed of 111 mph with a quarter mile of 13.86 sec @ 94.23 mph.

130 mph would need 6850 RPM, which is about 500 RPM after the rev limiter has kicked in.

A stock SV650 is reported to have a top speed in the 125-135mph range, and that's with a bike that has an easy 20+ more horsepower than the CTX.

So on a perfect day a CTX theoretically could nudge 120 mph, but 110-115 mph (with 110 being my pick) is much more likely of a real world top speed.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I just plugged the primary/gearbox/final drive ratios for a manual 700 from a factory manual into my gearing spreadsheet. I used a stock tire size but in a Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III (because Dunlop is good about giving an overall diameter in their specifications). A Motorcyclist magazine shootout of mid-size cruisers showed a dyno chart for the 700 with a peak power of 44hp at 6000 RPM and what looks like a forced red line of about 6300 RPM.

If 6300 RPM could be pulled in 6th gear with that Dunlop tire the speed would be 119.59 mph, with the redline speed in 5th gear of 96.96 mph.

With the generally not very aerodynamic bodywork/riding position of the CTX (large frontal area and lots of drag from exposed feet/arms/hand) I think the CTX would be doing fantastically well to pull redline in 6th. Honda parts fiche show the NC and CTX with the same 16/43 final drive gearing. A Cycle World roadtest of the NC700X in 2012 shows a measured top speed of 111 mph with a quarter mile of 13.86 sec @ 94.23 mph.

130 mph would need 6850 RPM, which is about 500 RPM after the rev limiter has kicked in.

A stock SV650 is reported to have a top speed in the 125-135mph range, and that's with a bike that has an easy 20+ more horsepower than the CTX.

So on a perfect day a CTX theoretically could nudge 120 mph, but 110-115 mph (with 110 being my pick) is much more likely of a real world top speed.
Totally agree. Best I've gotten was 108. I had plenty of rpm left, but ran out of horses. Rebel13 did a ton of high performance mods to his "Sally" (reworking the ports, whole new intake tract, straight exhaust from the head out, deleted the cat, etc.) and I think he was topping out around 115. That's just about the speed where the 188 kilometers clicks in on the Rev limiter.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Speed is part bike and part rider. Absolutely: an exceptional rider can get better results on a bike than others, especially on a track. It's part technique, shifting, finding a better line, breaking later than others.

On the other hand, there is engineering and physics. The CTX is a great bike (in my opinion), but it has its limits. This forum has an incredible source of collected knowledge and experience so when people point out that something seems out of place with a claim that is significantly different than the collected group experience what side of the discussion do you think most people are going to sit on?

People have different opinions, experiences and interpretations all the time: that is what makes discussions here interesting and informative. We have many members here who ride or have ridden bikes that are significantly larger or faster that the CTX, but remain for various reasons. The Africa twin is a great bike (that many here have ridden) and will provide anyone who can ride it interesting times. Don't be too surprised if you join discussion groups on that bike and you find some of the members from this group who will be providing their experiences and insights there too.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I really like the question of a noticeable change in the bike between two times - I wonder if there are other circumstances that would also result in such a change ?

@Vulcan Mediator Well said. I have a Honda Cub (new one) CB-125A, The CTX, and a Triumph Rocket III (2,300 cc or so). They all have their place and I enjoy/appreciate them for what they do for me - and where possible, I enjoy interacting with people who like to share about their bikes.

Top speed, particularly in public forum and for public roads can be problematic this day and and time -- measurement is the least of it -- with folks wanting to report to law enforcement just because that is what some people are driven to do.

So maybe, we don't want to see the video (or you don't want to show us) -- should be sufficient to say, "I heard - asking for a friend - GPS based measurement -- avg of both directions" etc etc. [unless, like a previous poster - there are sections still of the German Autobahn that are unrestricted - and boy, if you're ever tempted to go there and put the pedal down, you have to adjust your thinking -- just because you think you're going fast, when you're tempted to move in the left lane to pass a slower vehicle, you need to study that rearview mirror real hard and look twice because there is a good chance someone is about to run by you at twice your speed].

It may help to remember that the internet is a cold, cold, cold (did I say cold ?) filter, and it sometimes helps to force a smile when reading something, and assume the author meant well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts