CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Just bought a 2014 CTX700D three days ago. 6 years and 3,400 miles on it. 80 years and 400,000 cycle miles on me since I started riding in 1953.

Really enjoying the DCT but I wish the tank held more than 3.2 US gallons.

Love the long-legged gearing of this bike (e.g., only 4,000 rpm at 75 mph indicated).

'Geezer

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! 10,000 baby boomers are turning retirement age each day who has the time and money to afford a motorcycle. Why Honda has not marketed this bike to the over 60 crowd was a huge mistake. So many people here are stepping back from Gold wing sized bikes due to weight. I think low mileage DCT’S are the best value in used motorcycles today. The engine has the personality of an electric motor so there is no advantage to manually shift the bike to keep it in the power band. Sit back and enjoy the ride like I do and let the bike do the work. I hope I am still riding at your age!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Actually the all bikes seem to be ranged for 180 miles give or take. A larger tank on a bike, means less mileage. My Harley had a range of 200 miles but a 5.5 gal tank. So no difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll find the tank big enough with 80 mpg! Welcome.
So far I am getting 63 mpg (US Gallon). Fuel-anxiety would set in around 130 miles (gas stations are few and far between here in the southwest). So I bought a 1 gallon RotopaX to carry along. Now I can go to 175 miles without a care in the world. Total range should be about 225 miles with the extra gallon on board.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I'm small, old, and ride like an old person, so I average over 70mpg on the open road. Even so, I always carry a 1 liter stainless bottle of fuel in one of the saddlebags. Seldom use it as I need a pit stop before the bike does. Three hours in the saddle is about my limit. I dump the bottle into the tank about once a month, and refill it with fresh fuel.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I'm small, old, and ride like an old person, so I average over 70mpg on the open road. Even so, I always carry a 1 liter stainless bottle of fuel in one of the saddlebags. Seldom use it as I need a pit stop before the bike does. Three hours in the saddle is about my limit. I dump the bottle into the tank about once a month, and refill it with fresh fuel.
Even though I never go anywhere far enough to require a re-fill, I carry a 1 gallon jug, mostly in case someone in a group ride I'm on needs gas.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Even though I never go anywhere far enough to require a re-fill, I carry a 1 gallon jug, mostly in case someone in a group ride I'm on needs gas.
By the way, mine is a "Reda Gas Can" for motorcycles. My source on eBay doesn't sell it anymore, but a Google|Images search will run one down for you. I paid about $20 or so, but that was back in 2012 I think. A spot check says they are going for $30-$40 now. That's real cheap the first time you find yourself sputtering on a dark country road and the nearest town of any size is 60 miles ahead of you! :eek:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Methinks good practice...& an empty bottle could suffice for emergency roadside relief in heavy traffic...:devilish::cry::unsure::whistle::rolleyes:;)LOL...Welcome Back!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
So far I am getting 63 mpg (US Gallon). Fuel-anxiety would set in around 130 miles (gas stations are few and far between here in the southwest). So I bought a 1 gallon RotopaX to carry along. Now I can go to 175 miles without a care in the world. Total range should be about 225 miles with the extra gallon on board. View attachment 86754
Very Nice! Please note: as Honda says; w/DCT, shift to neutral before shut off. May prevent future auto/shift malfunction. Be Well, Safe & Enjoy!(y)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts