CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How quiet and comfortable is the CTX 700 DCT at a highway speed of 75 MPH? I owned a 750 Shadow that was not happy running at anything over 60 or so. My favorite bike ever, was a Pacific Coast that while not being particularly fast, was very relaxed and serene at 75 or 80 on the interstate. I will appreciate hearing your opinions.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The bike will cruise comfortably all day at 75. Whether you will be comfortable is the question.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I generaly ride the speed limit or 10 klm above. The bike will ride comfortably at 75 or 80 mph but maybe it is just me, but the engine sounds more relaxed at 55 to 65 mph. Granted most of our driving is on relativley flat terrain. Riding north of here there are hills but not mountains and it seems to easily navigate that at an easy pace with little strain on the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone. If I do decide to purchase, I will definitely go with the faired version.

·
Registered
501 Posts
While my beloved '05 Suzuki M50 (rode it for 12 years) had Progressive Suspension, Saddlemen seat & a good small windscreen, over 70mph on the open road was never comfortable. No problem on my "C".;)
I thought hard about a "Pacific Coast" to replace my CX500, but it did not happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:

Cruising speed depends on weight of the rider and load carried. Mine does 82 with no problems and lots of reserve left. Disclaimer - I do not ride above the speed limit.
I enjoy 75 or more here in Texas. We have sections with Posted Speed of 85 on Highway 130. Others with 80. So it is not an issue north of 70 in many places legally..

·
Registered
31 Posts
This bike is relaxed at 60/65MPH cruising speed. As you increase from this speed you’ll notice the RPM’s climb. You can tour at higher speeds all day long without worry. The bike is less composed when being pushed at higher speeds, which means it relies more on rider input at higher speeds. (Consider road conditions, motorcycle tires, suspension and weight carried) I highly recommend full synthetic oil for this machine, you’ll feel the difference and it will protect the engine at higher rev speeds.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
18 Posts
How quiet and comfortable is the CTX 700 DCT at a highway speed of 75 MPH? I owned a 750 Shadow that was not happy running at anything over 60 or so. My favorite bike ever, was a Pacific Coast that while not being particularly fast, was very relaxed and serene at 75 or 80 on the interstate. I will appreciate hearing your opinions.
I agree with my fellow Posters. I have put on a lot of highway miles and the bike will be comfortable at the mentioned speeds....✌

·
Registered
235 Posts
a performance observation note-my bud just got a Yamaha 900 GT- from 0-65 our bikes- especially when I'm in "sport" mode are really close in rpm and gears. However, at about 150 lbs heavier and 20 mpg's thirstier than the CTX and taller I'm enjoying the Grey Ghost.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Speed is one factor, but it's hard to consider speed without thinking of road conditions. On my Maritime trip last fall, we were racing a storm front and were on the Trans Canada (smooth as anything) doing 130-140 (75-80 mph) into a wind that was about 40-60 km/hr (24-35 mph). On some other roads, we had constant bumps, holes and my pet peeve, long wide cracks parallel to the road, and I felt uncomfortable at 60 -70 (35-40 mph). The bike can handle the speed, not always the rider.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
51 Posts
I’m in Texas, and I’ve spent a fair number of hours cruising at 80-85mph. But, I don’t really prefer it. It was necessary to flow with traffic and also get to places. When I have more time, 60 seems to be the sweet spot of revs and ability to appreciate the scenery, with the added benefit of miles per gallon. 70 is a good spot for making good time and not getting too stressed. At 80+, I was probably equally worried about the bike and my own ability, so basically riding while constantly anxious, which isn’t very relaxing.

But that is also the case with other vehicles - the higher speed makes me more nervous about something breaking catastrophically that couldn’t be anticipated anyway. To a certain extent I recognize that a blown tire at 60 is a bad day/week/eternity, it just seems in my head that it’s going to be magnitudes worse at the higher speed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
But that is also the case with other vehicles - the higher speed makes me more nervous about something breaking catastrophically that couldn’t be anticipated anyway. To a certain extent I recognize that a blown tire at 60 is a bad day/week/eternity, it just seems in my head that it’s going to be magnitudes worse at the higher speed.
How you react probably has more influence on outcome than speed.

Reactions: Jedi Leba

·
Registered
239 Posts
The bike will cruise comfortable at 90 MPH ....easy to do here in Wyoming and it feels the same over 100 MPH.....easy to do here in the wide open spaces.:cool:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Damn Ruby you would leave me in the dust.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Speed is one factor, but it's hard to consider speed without thinking of road conditions. On my Maritime trip last fall, we were racing a storm front and were on the Trans Canada (smooth as anything) doing 130-140 (75-80 mph) into a wind that was about 40-60 km/hr (24-35 mph). On some other roads, we had constant bumps, holes and my pet peeve, long wide cracks parallel to the road, and I felt uncomfortable at 60 -70 (35-40 mph). The bike can handle the speed, not always the rider.
I share your concern-travelling on a scarified roadway is unnerving for me, too. I was wondering if there is a front tire that would add stability to our CTX's?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts