CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a matching top case just strapped to my seat behind me. Inexpensive, looks decent and plenty sturdy that way. Additionally, I use the back pad that comes with the case meant for a passenger back pad, as the rider's back pad. See pic below.

I've learned this winter, however, that I need more space for hauling large items back and forth to work. My current case has plenty of room for many small items, but only a couple of large items can go in the case. The worst thing is that it's only 10" tall, and therefore if I put my helmet in there, what ever else I put in there has to go around it or beside it completely. The top won't close if there is any material below or above the helmet. I went back and forth about side cases. Most of them that are reasonbly priced are not big enough to help me with the large item dilemma, and the really large ones I feel would put too much drag on the bike and be wider than the fairing, which is a safety concern.

I looked and looked and looked online and in stores for something that would give me at least 30% more space in one compartment that I could strap on the same way I have it now, but it can't be too big. It has to be somewhat sturdy, and at least water resistant. I want to mount it with the longest side going front to back. I've not seen many pictures of boxes mounted that way. It looks like that, from the pictures I've found, that many commuters have come to the same place I have, and many chose this specific Rubbermaid tote, but those folks attached it to a rack behind their bikes and bolted it on sideways. I won't put one on that way. I might as well use the space on the pillion part of the seat, and I was still looking at something better than that tote.

Givi makes a 55 liter top case. It's around $350. It is somewhat larger, but the height is still an issue, because when a top case is designed to go on a rear rack that far rearward on a bike, the height needs to be kept low due to stability issues but with a big portion of the box being directly behind me on the seat, a taller box will not be an issue.

I finally found something better. I saw an extra big tool box in Tractor supply, but it was still a little too small. It was about 28"X11"X12". I need something that is ideally 22-26"LX14-15"WX14-18"H but that got me thinking...is there a bigger tool box than that? Well I looked for about three days and found that the one I saw in Tractor Supply was the biggest box I could find on line. But finally, I was searching through the Dewalt website, and they had a box that was listed as an X-large tough box as part of a tough box system (not listed as a tool box). It has a water proof seal. Has removable trays, and will give me an inside dimension of about 20"X14"X14.5" (at a minimum). I ordered from Amazon for $53 and free shipping. Converting cubic inches to liters, I'll have at least 65 liters of usable space, whereas now, I've got 42 liters. That's a 55% increase in interior space! I found one picture of someone with the idea of using this same box, so it's not totally an original idea but mounting it the way I'm going to has not been posted on the internet from any thing I can find.

Now for the mounting. I'm going to mount it to a piece of 1By with three strips of 1By between the box and the mount as spacers. This way I can run lashing straps through the 3/4" space and cinch them down two places around the seat and one in the back to the rear hooks. There may be a problem where I'll have to put a protector over the rear area behind the seat, because when I cinch it down to the rear hooks, it may pull down and touch that area. Don't know yet, but that's something I may have to solve. I think it will work, but maybe it won't look as good.

Any feed back on this idea is welcome.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRE5n9Cxx9pKwvDrM0Jf3f_IJfGCO5bPNQBXUeiUw8v2xn6GmGWZA

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Greg, Did you take a look at the Kuryakyn line of bags, in particular 4141? Jerryreliable has a review of a similar Kuryakyn bag just earlier today.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Kinda like a Honda Civic with only 2 wheels.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whatever works!

Certainly a decent price. Wonder how they would look as saddlebags?
Pretty big for side boxes, but the one I got is an extra large. The large would probably be better unless one wants to go really, really long and wide with his or her saddle boxes. It's the same length and about one inch thinner and one inch shorter.

DWST08203 Large Case ToughSystem™ | DEWALT Tools

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kinda like a Honda Civic with only 2 wheels.
Good!

That's what I was going for. Thanks for the compliment!

Actually, I would prefer a VW TDI on two wheels but no diesel bikes on the market, so a Honda Civic is as close as I can get, so I'll give up the 25 extra mpg that is achievable in an ICE-powered motorcycle.

·
Banned
463 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Did you ever consider just mounting a cooler on the back for storage. The better ones can be found with locks and steel brackets. Use them on several of my boats for dry storage. Height and width would be just about perfect and light weight too.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you ever consider just mounting a cooler on the back for storage. The better ones can be found with locks and steel brackets. Use them on several of my boats for dry storage. Height and width would be just about perfect and light weight too.
Yes I looked at coolers but can't say I looked at every possibility. The ones I saw were just a little to large or too small for what I wanted. But yeah, I can see where a cooler could work very well.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That was not, nor was it meant, as a compliment!
I'm not sure what to tell you then. I've taken it as a compliment. I need an explanation of why it is not a compliment in your eyes.

Since you've brought it up, please articulate and expand on your opinion, so that it adds value to the discussion. You've already indicated that it's not a compliment, but the reply lacks any value to the thread as stated, because it is too incomplete.

What exactly are you saying looks like a 2 wheel Civic? Is it my bike with the current top box? My bike with the proposed box? With either box? Top boxes in general? The fairing model in general? What makes a 2 wheel version of a Civic a bad thing for an MC and what accessories choices would cause my bike to have an appearance that could be compared to another car? And what car comparison should I be aspiring for? A sports car? A monster truck? Or something else?

How do I reconcile the need to haul several large items (as a commuter bike) and make it be a 2 wheel version of a more acceptable car in your opinion?

I'm not sure what image I'm supposed to be displaying to others who may see me on my bike that would make my bike acceptable looking. Since you feel you've got something to add to this discussion, please provide enough detail to articulate your opinion about what the CTX should be as a car comparison and why. Like I stated, I'm just fine with the Civic comparison, but why am I being wrong headed on this matter? I'm being serious. I can take and actually want negative feedback, but I need something more than just an off handed comment meant to be a criticism.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
To coin an old cliché, "opinions are like a__holes, everybody has one and half of them stink". No body really cares. Best to let some remarks pass. You have a requirement to fit your own needs. Who cares what anybody else thinks. Do it and be happy.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Whatever works!

Certainly a decent price. Wonder how they would look as saddlebags?
Hey paranoid greg,
I was responding to the above question when I said it would look like a Civic on wheels.
Had absolutely nothing to do with you.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Did I miss something?
Yes. I'm missing something as well.

If the original reply/opinion was misplaced or misunderstood about who or what it was in reference to, which (originally) I didn't know who or what it was for or what it meant since it was so general and vague in nature, then why was the very next reply... "That was not, nor was it meant, as a compliment!" The second reply indicates that this member does not like something for some reason unexplained and sort of confirms that it was intended as a comment about the OP, since it was the OP that had taken it as a compliment towards himself.

Considering the eventual revelation, the second reply should have been something like...I wasn't referring to your top case or proposed top case on your bike, I was referring to this other post regarding using ToughSystem boxes as saddle bags instead and then a further explanation of what he meant by comparing it to a Honda Civic and why that is not a positive attribute in his opinion. Finally, after asking for clarification, we learn what the original comment was actually in reference to, but, instead of explaining the opinion, there is an an attack on another member's character for simply making a request for more clarification.

As far as being paranoid...how can a person be paranoid about anything regarding personal property. The bike is not me; it is something I own, and it doesn't scare me or make me feel insecure if someone or everyone dislikes my accessory choices or anyone else's for that matter, but I still like to know others' opinions and why they believe what they believe. That's one method of learning. However, opinions thrown out there for the purpose of disrupting a discussion or to take a jab without the fortitude to back up that opinion with some sort of logic has no value in a thread. But these jabs and tactics of upstaging discussions goes well beyond this thread. It has become chronic in nature.

As some may have already guessed, there is a history of this sort of dialogue between he and I that I'm more than ready to stop. One would expect that members only reply and add to the discussion when they have some sort of opinion about the topic at hand; whether positive or negative; not for some way to try to gain points on someone that he or she feels may have left themselves open for attack. As one should be able to tell by reading...another one of these threads has ended in an attack on my character. I think I've been diagnosed with about five afflictions at this point by the same member. I must really be a psychological and physical mess! I don't see how I can get out of bed at this point.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are three ToughSystem cases by Dewalt: DWST08201 (small); DWST08203 (large); and DWST08204 (x-large).

The small DWST08201 has exterior dimensions of 21"X13"X6". Not tall enough for most MC applications + it is compartmentalized for small tools.

The large DWST08203 has exterior dimensions of approx. 21"X13X12. It is an open case. Has some slots in it on the ends that reduces the length and a top tray that is removable. I'm not sure how hard it would be to cut out those slots to add at least an inch of length.

The x-large DWST08204 has exterior dimensions of approx. 21"X14X15. It too is an open box space and has slots on the ends as well as slots on one side for a screw-driver holder that will cut into the ends and side interior space. Not sure how hard it would be to cut those out. The X-large also has a removable tray.

I could not find any of these ToughSystem components anywhere in stores to look at but found a similarly-sized tough case at Home Depot. Lots more room than my case even with the notches inside.

The one person who posted a pic on line who installed a very similar box on his KTR was very happy with the result. If my mounting plan works out, I think I'll be happy too. I'm thinking about trying to mount my backpad on this new box when I get it.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Good luck on the build Greg and post some pics. Might I suggest using PVC trim instead of lumber as a base. The stuff cuts just as easily as lumber and it wont rot. You can round over the edges with a router giving your seat a huge break. I'm a carpenter and use the stuff on a regular basis. Sells at Home Depot. Little more expensive but worth the cost on such a small project.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I used lumber as a base on install of Mutazu trunk to CTX700 rack... It worked, but I flash backed to growing up in a trailer park :rolleyes: .
Had to remove trunk for Corbin seat install, and never put trunk back on. Trunk rattled too much on imperfect roads.

I like the Walmart motorcycle bag I reviewed on soft luggage thread elsewhere in our forum. Works fine for me, decent size, is waterproof, and removable if I wish.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Some good ideas here Greg. And while his first post was funny (only because my wife drives a civic which holds less than your planned CTX would), his justifications seem silly, and worth ignoring. Keep up with your build. I'm still looking for a way to justify my CTX as my commuting to work vehicle/grocery getter. And I am blue collar, so storage=awesome. Let us know what you've come up with.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'll look at the PVC trim. This is news to me. I'll have to take a look. Didn't know such a product existed. I'm currently imagining something like a mailbox mount, which had crossed my mind. I don't have a Home Depot in my town, and I resist going in those establishments that goes back to my sixteen years I was employed with the sponsor of the 48 car. I've still got a subconscious bias towards the blue and gray competitor of the ugly orange store, but I have shopped there a couple of times even though it made me queasy, and the orange racks nearly made me go blind. All of this is an odd phenomenon since I'm a Tennessee fan, and that's about as orange as one can get. But I get a different feeling about the color when I go in that store.

If I do go with lumber and hardware, it will be mostly hidden, because it will be only about 10" 1 X (much more narrow than the box), and it will be painted to match the box as much as possible. I don't see any benefit stability wise for going any wider than the seat. If the width if more or less equal to the width of the seat, it will strap more snugly to the seat. At least that's what I'm thinking.

My box got delayed due to weather. I think it got stuck at a terminal in IL during the arctic blast, and I didn't pay for expedited shipping, so I'm still waiting. But I'll post my install. We might all get a laugh out of my amateur attempts executing a decent idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts