CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated whether I wanted to do this or not, I knew there would be no going back once I did it. I went ahead and removed the CTX from the sides. Here is a picture for anyone wondering about doing the same. I also removed the reflectors from the front and rear and all the stickers.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Agree! Much cleaner look. I did that on Magsters the first 10 minutes it was in the garage. I am removing the Honda sticker on front fairing today. The rest of the Honda tags (Bags and Radiator Cover) stay on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, Killa. I've been debating removing my tank logos but the wife is against it. I have been mulling over replacing them with something a little more custom - just to personalize the bike being as there are so few color options.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just so everyone else knows, all stickers come off easy but the Honda sticker on the front fairing is a bear to get the glue off, if you decide to remove it. All is good but it was one of the hardest to clean up I have ever done on a bike.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Just so everyone else knows, all stickers come off easy but the Honda sticker on the front fairing is a bear to get the glue off, if you decide to remove it. All is good but it was one of the hardest to clean up I have ever done on a bike.

Thumper, you ever hear of Goo Gone, kind of orange smelling stuff. best ever for label glue removal. wont hurt plastic. all the labels I moved off the frame (no goo gone used as they would not re-stick if I did), I re-stuck them under the seat so technically still on bike. The vin number one I left in place but had some textured black tape and just put a patch over it (blends pretty well).

I also chipped away or used a black felt marker on all the white paint tags Honda put on bolts and hoses during assembly. Lots of those on bike too.

The CTX logos on the tank are not labels and could easily be broken when washing or waxing if rag catches under them. I will remove them if I ever break one.

I still plan on doing some polishing this winter to break up all the black. Just need some rainy days

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
'tis a shared bike in our little family

great picture, she looks like she has that, "it's mine and you have to ask if you wish to ride it" look...lol

The rack looks like you must have painted it black or did it come in black. The only other picture I have seen of the rack is that it was sort of gray.

nice box setup on it too. If I had the rack I would just bungie stuff to it in a soft bag/pack. I've never had a hard case on a bike yet. I might be missing something ? maybe not.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thumper, you ever hear of Goo Gone, kind of orange smelling stuff. best ever for label glue removal. wont hurt plastic.
Thanks for suggestion Bill, I have used it and should have made the trip down to hardware store to get some before tackling that sticker. I used a product I had on shelf made by Turtle Wax for removing Tar and adhesives but it was useless. Also a 3M product that sprays on the glue and should help devolve it. Goo Gone is the best product I have used before, and I just did not have any. Not sure it would have attacked what ever Honda used on the front fairing. It was a tough one!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll vouch for Goo Gone. It's taken off everything I've ever put it on and at the same time doesn't seem to be nasty. Just let it soak for a while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can get a similar product to "Goo-Gone" but are they not just nail polish remover or plain old-fashioned acetone marketed at a higher price? Forgotten now, but the nurse will be here shortly to give me my morning shots and it will all come back.

·
Registered
58 Posts
great picture, she looks like she has that, "it's mine and you have to ask if you wish to ride it" look...lol

The rack looks like you must have painted it black or did it come in black. The only other picture I have seen of the rack is that it was sort of gray.

nice box setup on it too. If I had the rack I would just bungie stuff to it in a soft bag/pack. I've never had a hard case on a bike yet. I might be missing something ? maybe not.
She only rides when conditions are "just right" - not too hot, definitely not cold (she is a South Florida gal - anything under 70 degrees, she doesn't like!)

Rear rack is stock black, Givi case I had already so made for an easy install. It's a mono-key so easy to pop off when I don't need it. Fits a full face helmet and carries my lunch to work. I usually commute on two wheels about 90% of the time, but we are having so much afternoon rain right now that I am only getting to ride about 1 day/week.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rear rack is stock black, Givi case I had already so made for an easy install. It's a mono-key so easy to pop off when I don't need it. Fits a full face helmet and carries my lunch to work. I usually commute on two wheels about 90% of the time, but we are having so much afternoon rain right now that I am only getting to ride about 1 day/week.
Are you using the monokey universal plate (Givi E250 Monokey Universal Adapter Plate - RevZilla) attached to the rear rack? Or is it something else?
How sturdy does it feel on the bike?
I was thinking of a similar setup with a backrest pad on the case, but I want to make sure it's strong enough to hold a passenger.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was thinking of a similar setup with a backrest pad on the case, but I want to make sure it's strong enough to hold a passenger.
I've used the Givi "Wing-Rack" with great success. Two mega (36l) side-cases and a top-box just for hats, shoes and handbags, then helmets when we stop. Helps keeps CG low. Top box comes with built in backrest and Givi stuff is well proven.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've used the Givi "Wing-Rack" with great success. Two mega (36l) side-cases and a top-box just for hats, shoes and handbags, then helmets when we stop. Helps keeps CG low. Top box comes with built in backrest and Givi stuff is well proven.
Those looks good, but my assumption is it might be awhile before GIVI comes out with a specific kit to fit the CTX.
I'm impatient...so I'm thinking of going with the Honda saddlebags, and just throwing a givi topcase on the rear rack. I like the look of the Honda bags better as well, though the price is a steep.

.....sorry if I pushed the thread off topic.

Bike looks great with the stickers removed!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are you using the monokey universal plate (Givi E250 Monokey Universal Adapter Plate - RevZilla) attached to the rear rack? Or is it something else?
How sturdy does it feel on the bike?
My case is several years old and isn't the E250, so I'm not sure of the model #, looks like this one:
Givi Z113 - Monolock Plate - Z113 - New | eBay

A little different mounting system than the 250.

Although the top box backrest would be located at about the same location as where the Honda backrest would reside, it would change where the load is applied. The Honda back rest would be affixed to the bracket right behind the passenger while the load pressure of the top box backrest would be transferred to the mounting plate on the rear rack, quite a bit more cantilevered (as you can see in the photo above). The rear rack, although looks much sturdier to me, does come with an advisory sticker that gives a 6 lb. limit. Might be okay to use the top box backrest as a balance check, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it for leaning on all the time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Longbow & BlackBird,
Ok, you have to make up your own brackets, but the basic Givi rack is extremely adaptable and as strong as the personalised attachments you make for each individual purpose. I've used it on my Laverda and CBX in two positions. Solo and well forward with just the side cases, or further back with the top-box and "wing" accessory. Prefer it forward for high speed and better handling, but now get more satisfaction travelling with my best buddy. Not a fan of the genuine Honda article (too small & too wide for its volume) although it will fetch more in years to come. I'm not into making things good for the next guy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is the make and model number of the hard case? Looks good
If you are referring to my case, it is a Givi I purchased 6 years ago - don't know the model. It is big enough to hold a large modular, full-face helmet. I painted it to match a gun metal scoot I had - I kind of like a little contrast from the all black theme of the CTX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are referring to my case, it is a Givi I purchased 6 years ago - don't know the model. It is big enough to hold a large modular, full-face helmet. I painted it to match a gun metal scoot I had - I kind of like a little contrast from the all black theme of the CTX.
Would it be too much for the dimension of the top box. Also, does anyone know if floorboards would fit the front and back to replace the pegs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts