CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Naked
30 Posts
I bought a CTX700ND in July from a private owner. I met the owner at the title bureau where I gave him $5,000 cash, we wrote $5,000 on the title as the selling price, we transferred the title, I bought plates and such, and rode it home.

I just received letter from the Ohio Department of Taxation asking for further proof as to how much I paid for the motorcycle. They stated that the average selling price is $11,088.95. I'm really curious as to where they got that number, as it's not close to reality.

Fortunately, I am still in touch with the previous owner, and he was kind enough to send me a notarized bill of sale, which is what Ohio was requesting. Without that, that's just charge me the additional tax at their made up selling price, and cost me nearly another $500. I just sent my additional paperwork in to Ohio and I hope this is the end of it.

I'm sharing this partly because I just want to vent. It's annoying since we did everything on the up and up. I rarely buy or sell a vehicle, but I'll be sure to get additional paperwork next time, like the bill of sale or a receipt in addition to the title.
Come to Oregon! No tax or fee for transfer. Registration is good for three years and $29 should do it ! BTW* No smog check for vehicles either.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts