CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTX-700D Grey Blue Metallic
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question isn't so much CTX700 specific, but more because I'm a newer rider trying to figure things out. I've read through some threads about the tires others have selected, and I want to compare some models. But I cannot seem to figure this out.

From what I understand, there are sport tires that are perhaps "stickier" but get less mileage and there are other tires (cruiser tires? i don't know) that have longer mileage life. How does one discern from the websites which tires are which? I do know how to find the tires that fit the CTX size. I saw in the manual the "recommended" tires. How do I know which tires would have longer life, or the balance between good traction & life expectancy? Am I missing something?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Riding style plays a huge part in the mileage of motorcycle tires. So the best advice I can give is to read the individual reviews and pay attention to the specific bike the reviews come from. A cruiser/touring bike will be more likely to be closer riding performance to our bike, whereas sport bikes typically have a more aggressive wear.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Can't go wrong with Michelin Road 5 or 6 IMO. Pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
................................. How do I know which tires would have longer life, or the balance between good traction & life expectancy? Am I missing something?
Except for some manufacturer's which give a ROUGH rating of their own tires as to which ones are "sportier" versus "longer life", you aren't going to find that info.

Another vote for Michelin - I have used nothing else on all my vehicles for 30 years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
First of all, do not buy the Z8’s. With clever technology, Metzeler has produced a new tire that (mis)behaves like an old worn-out one.
Cruiser tires are made for Harleys and bikes like the Honda Rebels, where wheel sizes are dictated by style. Sport tires require a lot of warmup time before they stick.The latest touring tires are amazingly sticky and long lasting. The most popular premium tires for the CTX seem to be Michelin Road 5 or 6 and Dunlop Roadsmart 3 or 4. Dunlop GPR300’s or Shinko Ravens are more affordable options. The 17 inch wheels on the CTX give us access to the best tires ever made. The front is a 120/70 and the rear is a 160/60, as per the manual. Just load those numbers into the little boxes on the websites. Also, if you have a Cycle Gear nearby it is a good place to check out tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i've had great luck with the dunlop gpr300's on several of my smaller bikes, the my ctx700n. they are quiet, provide good traction and mileage, and only cost about $300 installed here in phoenix .
perhaps not a good choice for a very aggressive rider but a good choice for a cruiser/commuter who frequents the high speed freeways on occasion. mine are very stable at 100mph:sneaky:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have shinkos on mine And like them because they are in fact very sticky sticky. With that in mind they seem to wear out very quickly as well. The explanation for that is there's a trade off between high and low durometer. That means if you want a less sticky longer lasting tire it might not be as safe. If you drive more aggressively a stickier tire will help keep things things in line..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ah, tires. Several variables.

The big 3 are bike weight, rider/pillion/gear weight, and environment the tires are used in (corners, road surface, speed, weather).

Digging through tire reviews for the specific bike you are riding, or one that is close in weight and purpose is usually the best bet. No use reinventing the wheel. Tires that work well on 800lb Harleys won't work so well on 500lb CTX's. Several modern tires are also dual compound, with a denser rubber on the center riding surface and a softer compound on the sides for cornering.

Road Pilots seem to work QUITE well on the CTX700. I threw on a set after my factory rubber was showing enough wear and I couldn't be happier. Although I certainly wouldn't ignore some of the other recommendations that have been thrown into the ring.

·
Super Moderator
1,110 Posts
Plus one on the Michelin PR5s. I've ridden in rain, snow and hail and you could feel them gripping the road. I also ride the interstate at 70 mph on most of my rides and the tires are wearing much better than the OEM did.
They are like a suspension upgrade! Much more comfortable ride over stock.

Reactions: jdbrot

·
Registered
126 Posts
i am on my second set of Continentals Motion.....originally motion control but i find that they are an excellent tire for the price....two trips to Alabama and many to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan....pushed them in the rain...no slippage and reasonable wear...25,000mi...worth a look...no doubt Michelin are a better tire but this is not a race bike....and this may upset a few but the ctx is an ''old man's bike'' and i am good with that......been riding since 1972...reall like this bike....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts