CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very specific question. On the road AND without removing a wheel... How do you make repairs? I’ve used rope plugs, however it is almost impossible to insert the tools into the puncture site even with a wheel removed. I can’t imagine accomplishing it on a motorcycle with a wheel on the bike.

Please no opinions about the safety of temp. tire repairs, they are personal and we all make our own choices.

Simple question, what device makes it possible?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Very interesting product. Was very curious to see how the "mushroom" shaped plug was going to be inserted. I can see how that would be much more secure than traditional tire plugs. thanks for sharing Mike!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Pleasure. I've never used it but received it as a well researched gift. I understand dynaplug is also good but not as easy to use in the side of a road. Again, all academic as I've never used either product...just own one.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
250 Posts
I’ve plugged two different tires without taking them off the bike. Not on the side of the road, but in my garage. If you carry either an air pump/compressor or compressed air, doing it on the side of the road is no big deal. I carry a compact bicycle pump, but haven’t used it yet since I have a compressor at home.

Quick search for tire plug kit on Amazon, the one I bought and used and carry on my bike is Amazon’s Choice. Honestly it’s too bulky and I’d recommend getting something a LOT more compact. Also this kit doesn’t include the pliers and razor you’ll need, so I’m not really sure why it’s Amazon’s Choice. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t have bought this kit.

The one Mike links above is kinda pricy, but it’s almost complete and very very compact. Throw in a cheap pair of pliers, if you don’t carry a Leatherman or similar, and you’re all set. I especially like the extra connectors it gives to hook up the air compressor. Really goes beyond expectations. Given that foresight, it’s kinda odd that they left out pliers.

But, all in all, plugging a tire can happen anywhere, definitely without removing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Very specific question. On the road AND without removing a wheel... How do you make repairs? I’ve used rope plugs, however it is almost impossible to insert the tools into the puncture site even with a wheel removed. I can’t imagine accomplishing it on a motorcycle with a wheel on the bike.

Please no opinions about the safety of temp. tire repairs, they are personal and we all make our own choices.

Simple question, what device makes it possible?

Work great no problem getting it in the tire...look at that handle on them....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting options. I have the one Jedi Leba shows, just an abbreviated version. It’s very well made. However, I used it yesterday on an auto tire that I removed from the vehicle. Straddling the tire with all my weight on it I was finally able to insert the rope plug but I was exhausted from the lengthy effort. There is no way it could be done to a tire on a bike!
Also, I was only able to complete the repair by filling the tire with air so it was rigid. Not a possibility on the road with a small compressor.

The stop-&-go shares the same problem with reaming the hole as this can require a huge effort if the hole is small like a finish nail. Inserting the plug holder seems to be difficult as well. The screw insertion effort looks easier than the manual versions that insert the rope.

The screw in and break it off method probably would get you to a repair facility, but they would probably then tell you they are afraid of liability and won’t repair a MC tire. Also requires removal or the tire later.

In my 40 years of experience rope plugs are permanent so I like them. It’s just so difficult to insert the two tools into small holes with the bike upright and trying to push tools in horizontally.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Interesting options. I have the one Jedi Leba shows, just an abbreviated version. It’s very well made. However, I used it yesterday on an auto tire that I removed from the vehicle. Straddling the tire with all my weight on it I was finally able to insert the rope plug but I was exhausted from the lengthy effort. There is no way it could be done to a tire on a bike!
Also, I was only able to complete the repair by filling the tire with air so it was rigid. Not a possibility on the road with a small compressor.

The stop-&-go shares the same problem with reaming the hole as this can require a huge effort if the hole is small like a finish nail. Inserting the plug holder seems to be difficult as well. The screw insertion effort looks easier than the manual versions that insert the rope.

The screw in and break it off method probably would get you to a repair facility, but they would probably then tell you they are afraid of liability and won’t repair a MC tire. Also requires removal or the tire later.

In my 40 years of experience rope plugs are permanent so I like them. It’s just so difficult to insert the two tools into small holes with the bike upright and trying to push tools in horizontally.
Yes. Rope plugs work and last. Though I have never used the stop n go, I think it is different in that the tapered syringe is what goes into the tire then the loaded cap is torqued with the Allen wrench/key. It seems pretty easy. The rasp would probably be the most challenging step. With the rope you have the wide eye plus the width of the rope and you cannot lube it. Now I want to try it! On someone else's tire of course...that is going to be replaced anyhow.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Sells for $102 Canadian at FortNine. Mixed reviews in that plugs may be problematic on gravel, but holds well on pavement. Definitely something to keep on my "to get" list.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have used Dynaplug on my CTX when I had a large nail in the rear tire. Took 2 plugs to stop the air leak which was not a problem. Awkward but not difficult to push the plugs into the tire and did not lose all the air in the tire. Replaced the tire afterwards since the hole was in the tread near the side wall. However the Dynaplugs in my tractor tire are still holding strong after 3 years.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have used the stop &go plug set. once i got the feel on how to use it.The plug kit worked great. I put over 300 miles on the plug no problems at all. I know some will say not to run on a plugged tire,. now the kit is in my bag and i will not go with out it. yes it is a little pricey. but when you can fix on the road and not need to call for a trailer it pays for its self first time you use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts