CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2016 ctx700D for several months now and really need to change the throttle tube and grips. I love the bike but this is really driving me nuts. I poured over this helpful forum, youtube, and bought a semi-usless digital manual on e-bay but can't find any detailed how-to.
I ordered the G-2 throttle tamer on Amazon and it should arrive later this month.
I purchased used and the previous owner did not have the stock grips installed and a new throttle tube was needed.
If anyone has done this replacement and has time to help I would greatly appreciate it.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
See reply #11 on the link. “I did remove one throttle cable from the throttle body at the engine in order to get enough slack to uninstall the old throttle tube and install the G2 but it was really easy to do (loosen one nut lift the housing up and rotate around) it was the one to the rear of the bike”. The manual simply says to separate the throttle housing and disconnect the cables page 17-5 but I could not gain enough slack to remove the cables without loosening it from the throttle body first. See pages 17-5 through 12 of the service manual. Usually you can just remove and replace the old grips without replacing the tube. I removed the bar end weights and ran a fine tooth hacksaw blade up under the grip to break the glue bond and reused them after replacing the tube.
I think she's finally done!?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Shoot compressed air under the old grip, sometimes it will inflate and come off easily. I did it on a Concours, I was able to use the cable adjusters to get enough slack to install the throttle tamer.

·
Registered
839 Posts
You didn't mention what exactly you need help with....

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Grips I can remove, its the plastic sleeve the throttle cables attach to on the handlebar that is giving me the headache. I tried loosening the adjustment at the throttle body to create enough slack in the cable so I can remove the throttle sleeve.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a little unclear with (loosen one nut, lift the housing up and rotate around) in dgall's answer. I think with a little more clarification I can do this.
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I loosened the adjusters on the cables near the throttle to the max first and I could not remove the cables out of the tube. So I followed TNCTX700N’s advice. Loosen the rear cable nut that secures the cable to the slotted throttle body bracket. Pull the cable out from the slot in the bracket and this should allow you disconnect the cable from the throttle body cam. See the middle picture on page 7-14 in the service manual arrow pointer #4 cable B.
Organism Font Rectangle Pattern Monochrome

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I loosened the adjusters on the cables near the throttle to the max first and I could not remove the cables out of the tube. So I followed TNCTX700N’s advice. Loosen the rear cable nut that secures the cable to the slotted throttle body bracket. Pull the cable out from the slot in the bracket and this should allow you disconnect the cable from the throttle body cam. See the middle picture on page 7-14 in the service manual arrow pointer #4 cable B.
View attachment 88859
Thank you dgall for the detailed instructions, I think I can do this without damaging anything. Now that I have a plan from someone who's done this before I'm excited to get the new throttle sleeve.
Happy riding,
EdC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you dgall for the detailed instructions, I think I can do this without damaging anything. Now that I have a plan from someone who's done this before I'm excited to get the new throttle sleeve.
Happy riding,
EdC
Attempting the same install as you. Going to try the advice in this thread. Great tips. Thank you all! Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck and let me know how it went, I'm still waiting for the part. Should be here next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well… I got the throttle bit on the handlebar pulled apart and could get to each throttle cable end, but they were both too tight to remove ( from the original tube). I went down below to the throttle body and loosened both nuts to help release or give me some more slack. After about three hours of tugging and twisting and prying, and reading countless forum suggestions, AND watching every you tube video I could find, I ended up putting it all back together and throwing in the towel. So close but yet so far. I just couldn’t find a way to get the slack I needed. I’m no mechanical idiot and have performed numerous tasks on bikes and cars and what not, so I was not afraid to tackle it and was refusing to throw in the towel…but, the new throttle tamer tube is unfortunately laying in a drawer as we speak. Maybe someday later I’ll try it again. A big disappointment for me…
If you have success getting the slack you need, please post on here or let me know what you did. I hate to give up and I will probably tackle it again later. I just don’t know what else to do aside from removing Tupperware and getting down into the guts of the throttle body and manhandling those cables around.

·
Registered
649 Posts
You can’t just loosen the nut. Did you pull the rear cable out from the bracket or “cable stay” and “disconnect the cable from the cam or “drum”? You gain slack on cable A by simply twisting the drum clockwise to full throttle. Since the cam won’t turn counter clockwise you have pull the back cable out from the stay, pull it down and disconnect it from the drum. Then you can then push it up towards the top to gain slack the other way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried to rotate the cam all the way clockwise to take the tension off of the cable. The spring tension made it hard to keep in that position AND try to get the cable off of the drum. I tried a couple of different ways to hold that drum in the full throttle position ( various screwdrivers, things to wedge in there) but I couldn’t get the drum to stay. Yeah, loosening the nuts didn’t really do anything or give me much to work with. The area there is so cramped. Even my tiny hands are a challenge. Maybe I’ll look at it again. The whole time I was trying to change it, I logically kept going back down to the cam. (I did pull the rear cable out of its stay but i couldn’t get it past the frame tube there. I was also concerned about forcing it down and out.) The handlebar end is pretty much fixed in place. I knew I had to try to gain some slack down below. I just didn’t get there. Got frustrated and buttoned it all back up for now.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had almost identical experience the first time I tried this. (didn't get the rear cable out of the bracket)
Received the new G2 throttle sleeve today but I had to deal with sprinkler repair and couldn't get to it today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had almost identical experience the first time I tried this. (didn't get the rear cable out of the bracket)
Received the new G2 throttle sleeve today but I had to deal with sprinkler repair and couldn't get to it today.
Well when you tackle it, let me (us) know how your plan of attack worked. I completely understand what others are saying here, about getting the slack at the throttle body “drum”. Good luck to you. I’m GONNA get mine completed one way or another.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, got up had my coffee and put the bike on a stand so it stood up straight. Throttle cable adjustment near the handlebar was already set for as much slack as possible (that was part of the problem I was trying to fix) Loosened the nut for throttle cable B and gently used needle nose pliers to lift and remove it from the cable stay. Pulled down on the whole assembly I just got free until I had enough slack to disconnect the cable from the throttle drum.
Next I made sure the throttle was closed as far as possible and gently pulled as much cable A at the throttle body drum. This gave me a little more slack and in conjunction with rotating the drum I was able to get cable A out. (If you had a second person they could twist the throttle open at the handlebar causing the drum to rotate, if you can hold the drum in place when they close the throttle it would create
the needed slack)
Next I disassembled the housing on the handlebar and presto, the old
Throttle sleeve was off. I was lucky because the cables slid smoothly and looked to be in good
Shape. I cleaned everything and reassembled in reverse order.
Previous owner had things kinda balled up. Bike was rideable but I always felt apprehensive about the throttle sticking, this is my first DCT bike and you can't just pull in the clutch if it gets stuck.
The G-2 throttle tamer works great and now easily snaps closed like it should.
Thank you for all the help! dgall thank you for taking the time to post the pictures with instructions,
your help gave me the confidence to try again and conquer this job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good job!! I’m going to confidently tackle mine one more time. I know I can do it! Thank you for sharing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts