CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the throttle tube on my 2014 CTX700N. The photo has an arrow that is pointing to the screw hole for the collar that holds the throttle cable ends into their respective slots on the throttle tube.

I have researched Honda's Parts catalog, viewed the service manual for my model and other than they both show I have 2 screws performing this function of holding the collar tight around the handle bar- of which I only have 1 (at the bottom of the collar) - I cannot see in this very small hole what I have. And something this small could be stripped easily. Does anyone know what type of screw this is? Slotted, Phillips, Torx, Star, Allen... I am really interested to know and would like to hear from someone that has the answer. THX!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just did this. The screws for the throttle housing are actually on the vertical (inside) face of the housing. You need to loosen the front brake handle/reservoir thing and slide that left, then remove the starter switch housing from the handlebar, and *then* you can get to the screws that hold the throttle cable housing. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Harder for me was trying to get enough slack to remove the cables. I had to loosen them from the far end (at the throttle body itself) in order to do this. Hopefully you won't have to do this.

- Pete.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just did this. The screws for the throttle housing are actually on the vertical (inside) face of the housing. You need to loosen the front brake handle/reservoir thing and slide that left, then remove the starter switch housing from the handlebar, and *then* you can get to the screws that hold the throttle cable housing. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Harder for me was trying to get enough slack to remove the cables. I had to loosen them from the far end (at the throttle body itself) in order to do this. Hopefully you won't have to do this.

- Pete.
+1

Be patient with the cables.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and thanks for the advice. Is there anything lurking in the small hole I pointed to that I have to worry about. too? Plz let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I actually think that's just a drain hole or a hole to allow air in. I'm pretty sure there's no screw at the 'bottom' of that hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually think that's just a drain hole or a hole to allow air in. I'm pretty sure there's no screw at the 'bottom' of that hole.
PRBPCI0: Actually, I am arriving at the same conclusion. The hole is not a pathway to a screw that secures. From a manufacturing view point why would Honda build as such and make assembly that much more difficult.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PRBPCI0: Actually, I am arriving at the same conclusion. The hole is not a pathway to a screw that secures. From a manufacturing view point why would Honda build as such and make assembly that much more difficult.
Looking at the service manual it appears that the radiator has to be dropped and so on to adjust cable length at the throttle body. Is that correct? Is this job one of those that turns into a major effort?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just rolled it out of the garage into the light (raining here again) that the throttle cables at the throttle body are accessible from the left side of the engine without needing to remove anything.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Loosening the cable from the throttle body can be done from the left side. Still the the cable is very tight, but it is worth of doing. One additional job would be installing rear brake to the left grip. It would be easier to use than foot brake in purpose to reduce speed when cornering at street speeds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Done!
To alleviate the discomfort after long rides I installed 1) adjustable clutch lever from CTX 1300, 2) ProTaper Pillow top grips, 3) G2 Throttle tamer, and 4) Kaoko cruise control. I like the setup. Eliminates discomfort from arthritis and carpal tunnel.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I just ordered the exact same set up for my N (different grips) how do you like the G2 tamer and the Kaoko cruise?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Im tackling this job today. got a new throttle body and new heated grips. Didn't think this would be too hard. puled the bar end weight off, then loosened the brake lever and slid it out of the way. Loosened the 2 screws on front of the throttle housing. was able to split the housing apart, but not all the way. enough to see the wiring inside for the various switches on this DCT bike, and the business end of the throttle tube where the cables wrap around and hook in. This is where I chickened out. couldn't get the housing to open up any more and when I tried to put it back together it wouldn't close up tight. I finally did get it to close up top and bottom after shifting it around to different positions. Makes me think there is a positioning pin in the housing and a hole in the handle bar that need to line up to hold the throttle housing in position but I never saw it. (inside the housing somewhere). Any way I need some tips from someone who has done this before? What are the steps?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Certain things I won't touch, especially when I have parts left over after its finished.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Im tackling this job today. got a new throttle body and new heated grips. Didn't think this would be too hard. puled the bar end weight off, then loosened the brake lever and slid it out of the way. Loosened the 2 screws on front of the throttle housing. was able to split the housing apart, but not all the way. enough to see the wiring inside for the various switches on this DCT bike, and the business end of the throttle tube where the cables wrap around and hook in. This is where I chickened out. couldn't get the housing to open up any more and when I tried to put it back together it wouldn't close up tight. I finally did get it to close up top and bottom after shifting it around to different positions. Makes me think there is a positioning pin in the housing and a hole in the handle bar that need to line up to hold the throttle housing in position but I never saw it. (inside the housing somewhere). Any way I need some tips from someone who has done this before? What are the steps?
See TNCTX700N’s discussion starter #11 explanation of how he did it. You got to give the cables as much slack as possible. I tried cheating and not loosening the cables at the throttle body as he suggested and found that is the only way I could remove the cables from the tube. I was able to reuse the grip by running a hacksaw blade down the grip tube to break the glue bond. There is a switch housing locator pin and hole in the handle bar to line up. See the picture in the service manual.

Honda CTX700N/ND Service Manual (Page 413 of 549)

I think she's finally done!?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am replacing the throttle tube on my 2014 CTX700N. The photo has an arrow that is pointing to the screw hole for the collar that holds the throttle cable ends into their respective slots on the throttle tube.

I have researched Honda's Parts catalog, viewed the service manual for my model and other than they both show I have 2 screws performing this function of holding the collar tight around the handle bar- of which I only have 1 (at the bottom of the collar) - I cannot see in this very small hole what I have. And something this small could be stripped easily. Does anyone know what type of screw this is? Slotted, Phillips, Torx, Star, Allen... I am really interested to know and would like to hear from someone that has the answer. THX!
I can’t seem to get the grip off. I plan to reuse it, so I don’t want to mess it up. Suggestions? Thanks

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
A very small screwdriver to jam between the grip and the tube, then, compressed air blown into the opening moved around the grip should allow it to just pull off easily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts