CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think that some maybe grip the throttle too tight. Try relaxing your hand. Another thing that might help some older guys is to buy a hand held spring grip which can be purchased at any sports store. Exercise your hands with this and build up the muscles in your hand and wrists.It only takes a few minutes every day while you are sitting around. Most older people lose muscle mass as we normally don't work as much. I do this with both hands while watching TV. Start with as many sqeezes as you can do without hurting yourself and over time you will be able to increase the numbers as your hands and wrists get stronger. It takes quite a while to build muscle as we age but now I can hold the grip for hours with no problem.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Heated grips or grip "wraps" (Aerostitch.com), or heated gloves may help in cool/cold weather.
I sympathize, have grip puppies & try to relax my hand a bit. I have summer gloves by Olympia which have a really good gel palm, helps a lot! No armor though, just wrist length leather. Think I'll check their product line for more options.
If I can ever do some serious touring, will probably put my throttle lock on for the open road.;)
(be cautious about any surgery, such as carpal tunnel, get multiple professional opinions if that is suggested) I like Tip's post.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anyone else having issue with right hand going completely numb when riding. .......................
Welcome to the club.

First off, buy a pair of these and sleep with them on every night:
https://www.amazon.com/wrist-brace/s?k=wrist+brace

Second, the vibration isn't the problem, it's the squeezing the throttle grip needed to keep the throttle open. The only really effective solution is a throttle paddle type device so you are no longer squeezing with your hand, you keep the throttle open with just pressure on the corner of the palm. Try out the Throttle Rocker and see if that works. They tend to slip and rotate so if that solves the problem then the next step is:
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/36/iso-throttle-boss

and then this:
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/37...-cruise-assist

Without the DCT, ISO grips with Throttle Boss and the Cruise Assist I would have to give up the bike.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started a thread on hand numbness last year. Grip puppies are a big help. Will be looking at gel gloves in the spring. I looked at the cruise control (may have been break away), but it was not compatible with the CTX 700 DCT (according to the web site). I had a Throttle Rocker on for a while but I found that it interfered with the throttle going back to full off and decided it had to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use a CrampBuster. Attaches to the grip and uses the whole hand instead of having to grip to accelerate. Easily adjustable and removable and available at many retailers. Cheap too, it is not a cruise control and once adjusted (which you can do on the fly) it is a tremendous help. I have nerve damage in both hands and cannot ride any distance without it. Have even ridden a 400 mile day with no numbness.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use a CrampBuster. Attaches to the grip and uses the whole hand instead of having to grip to accelerate. Easily adjustable and removable and available at many retailers. Cheap too, it is not a cruise control and once adjusted (which you can do on the fly) it is a tremendous help. I have nerve damage in both hands and cannot ride any distance without it. Have even ridden a 400 mile day with no numbness.
I have to agree here. I used one on my first (and probably last) SS1000 ride with no discomfort during or afterward. Best $10 I've spent on riding accessories, bang for the buck wise.

·
Registered
299 Posts
This is what I use i bought it for my 2015 and when I traded the 2015 in for a 2018 I kept my throttle lock and put it on the 2018. Between the two bikes I have 42,000 miles, I couldn’t ride very far without the throttle lock, I regularly ride 200 mile round trips and I’m 80 years old I dearly love my CTX dct

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is what I use i bought it for my 2015 and when I traded the 2015 in for a 2018 I kept my throttle lock and put it on the 2018. Between the two bikes I have 42,000 miles, I couldn’t ride very far without the throttle lock, I regularly ride 200 mile round trips and I’m 80 years old I dearly love my CTX dct
Looks like the same one I used on my Suzuki M50. Saved it when bike sold. I think it will fit my C also, just have not tried it on. Helps a lot when riding conditions allow.;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
try just relaxing......a deep breath....it does not require that much effort to hold the throttle open.....kind of a zen thing....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
try just relaxing......a deep breath....it does not require that much effort to hold the throttle open.....kind of a zen thing....

Looks like it will just be something I will half to deal with or get rid of the bike, Well I ain't getting rid of the bike I bought it for the options I wanted on it that includes the throttle. Hand surgeon said I have nerve damage in both my hands which doesn't surprise me at all, I have worked with my hands all my life as well as manual hard labor with my back so yeah everything is pretty much wore out or tired. It is okay I will just do the best I can and take as many breaks as I want when riding. Don't really want anymore surgeries

myself last time I did that I got scar tissue damage from it and it made the situation worse ( lower back has it on my entire spine ) Don't mind sharing personal information there is no shame in it, We will all deal with some sort of pain in life because life is just life and things happen so I will just do the best that I can for as long as I can or the good lord allows me too, After all it is really his choice what he allows us to do, We just do what we can do with his blessing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
howdy
i'm just a complainer i guess but we have these sharp jolts where the road shrinks and splits. it's caused by the extreme cold and warm temperature changes here locally. most of the time when i hit those, the throttle slips because my grip doesn't hold. that is a constant aggravation. out of desparation, i have wrapped the throttle grip with duct tape so it doesn't slip as much. it does look rather make-shift but some make thier bikes to look that way anyhoo and i don't really care. when we were young we could suggest that the problem could be solved with hand exercises and that it wasn't a "real " problem anyway but now when these bumps cause my eyes to change directions and my grip to slip and whole body convulsions, i know that a few exercises won't solve the problem.
i'm thinkin' spring is a good time to sell and move on. it's been a good 60 years riding.
ken

·
Registered
218 Posts
Anyone else having issue with right hand going completely numb when riding. Went for a ride this morning and thought I was never gonna get home from severe right hand pain. Any recommendations or has anyone else ever had this issue when riding?? For what it is worth I do always wear gloves and they are leather, I also have grips on the handles. Think I am done riding till spring myself, When u are old it is like that sometimes. Thank You
I know how you feel but I solved the same problem completely on my last bike by buying a Cramp Buster for $10.00...then on my new 2017 Honda CTX I went for the big bucks and purchased a Brake/away Motorcycle Cruise Control for 7/8" bar #7CP02 it cost $179.00 from West End Motor Sports and it very safe and it works like a dream.....either way your hand will never go numb again...go for it. Don't suffer and don't give up riding....I'm 71 years old and I still ride and take long trips in comfort.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I recommend spending the $874 on the MC Cruise Cruise control. This is an electronic cruise with a Set, Coast, and Accelerate function like your car.
A version has been engineered for the CTX700DCT.
here is the link
https://www.mccruise.com/products/honda-ctx700-new-product-featuring-our-compact-electric-servo?variant=47586368132
once you get it installed and ride a bit you can tell us if it was worth it.
been wanting something like this for my bike.
Hey William, you’re teasing me with your temptations. I have been looking at the MC cruise control since even before it was invented for the CTX. I’m just waiting for someone to triple dog dare me to do it. That and I’m short $874.00. But I am going to eventually do it.
In the meantime, I have my BrakeAway system which, in my opinion, is the best of the rest.

Glenn

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recommend spending the $874 on the MC Cruise Cruise control. This is an electronic cruise with a Set, Coast, and Accelerate function like your car.
here is the link
https://www.mccruise.com/products/honda-ctx700-new-product-featuring-our-compact-electric-servo?variant=47586368132

$874? I don't think so.:(

·
Registered
750 Posts
here is the link
How can you recommend a product you do not have? Your post comes off as raving for a product but then you contradict yourself by asking for a first hand review while implying it may not be worth the money.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
How can you recommend a product you do not have? Your post comes off as raving for a product but then you contradict yourself by asking for a first hand review while implying it may not be worth the money.....
I can easily recommend you spend your money for a product I have been thinking about. The MC Cruise that has all the functionality of an automotive cruise control for your CTX700. I think you should buy this and install it on your bike and then evaluate it in the real world and see if it justifies the expenditure of real money you had to earn. Then tell us all about it so we can either buy it for ourselves or keep our money.
See I just did it again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
$874? I don't think so.:(
The price for the MC Cruise at $874 is not ridiculous when you consider R&D expenses. Making Bike specific models. Manufacturing custom low sales volume components. The system is really very cleaver. Cable actuators and an interface between the throttle cable and the actuator. the various sensors that monitor engine speed, bike speed, clutch and brakes, and the CPU that takes in all that info and converts it to specific movements of the cable actuator, and a simple 3 button control panel. Think about a long ride. Right hand starting to get tired. Set the cruise control and relax your right hand. The bike will maintain speed on flat ground, going up hills, and going down hills. If you touch the brakes or clutch it disengages immediately. Seems like this would be a good product.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts