CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else having issue with right hand going completely numb when riding. Went for a ride this morning and thought I was never gonna get home from severe right hand pain. Any recommendations or has anyone else ever had this issue when riding?? For what it is worth I do always wear gloves and they are leather, I also have grips on the handles. Think I am done riding till spring myself, When u are old it is like that sometimes. Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Yes Yes Yes!!!
The C, for me, was unrideable until I put on a BrakeAway throttle system. The pain and numbness were terrible on long trips. This was the cure.

Glenn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Motorcycle Throttle Wrist Rest Cruise Grip Assist Control. This helped so I can lighten my grip and use my wrist also for throttle control. Cheap and easy to install

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you all also show pictures of the gloves that you all use and the brand??, Summer and or winter Maybe I also need better gloves as well. Thank You

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone else having issue with right hand going completely numb when riding. Went for a ride this morning and thought I was never gonna get home from severe right hand pain. Any recommendations or has anyone else ever had this issue when riding?? For what it is worth I do always wear gloves and they are leather, I also have grips on the handles. Think I am done riding till spring myself, When u are old it is like that sometimes. Thank You
Does your bike have the OEM bar end weights?
I understand that these cut down on felt vibration.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Makes you wanna go hmmm!
Grips or no grips, gloves, harnesses, magic potions... you still have to hold the throttle open for long stretches without rest. Period.
We all know as soon as you release pressure on the throttle, you’re going to decelerate. It’s a physics thing that is universal from one rider to the next. No way around it.
The difference is some people have the stamina or proper wrist/arm muscles or tendons. As the OP states it, there is discomfort when he rides. The throttle control is the cure. It doesn’t have to be the BrakeAway but some mechanical apparatus is necessary.

Glenn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, happens to me too. I added a Kaoko Throttle Lock to my CTX. Around town I don't use it, but on longer rides it let's me take my hand off the throttle for a bit as needed without the throttle snapping back to idle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Makes you wanna go hmmm!
Grips or no grips, gloves, harnesses, magic potions... you still have to hold the throttle open for long stretches without rest. Period.
We all know as soon as you release pressure on the throttle, you’re going to decelerate. It’s a physics thing that is universal from one rider to the next. No way around it.
The difference is some people have the stamina or proper wrist/arm muscles or tendons. As the OP states it, there is discomfort when he rides. The throttle control is the cure. It doesn’t have to be the BrakeAway but some mechanical apparatus is necessary.

Glenn
I know one thing it scared the crap out of me, I kept having to re grip at 70 mph, Felt like my hand was not even there at times. Am thinking about going to the Doctor about it, When you cant feel the throttle you might as well say that you have no control, And that right there is completely dangerous on these CTX's as well as on any bike for that matter. We all know that we always half and need to have control at all times when riding. Who knows I might have some kind of nerve damage in my hands, After all I have worked with my hands all my life.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know one thing it scared the crap out of me, I kept having to re grip at 70 mph, Felt like my hand was not even there at times. Am thinking about going to the Doctor about it, When you cant feel the throttle you might as well say that you have no control, And that right there is completely dangerous on these CTX's as well as on any bike for that matter. We all know that we always half and need to have control at all times when riding. Who knows I might have some kind of nerve damage in my hands, After all I have worked with my hands all my life.
+1 Kaoko - easy install, easy use, not as good as a total cruise control system.

Well, I'd like to say it helps some to keep loose and relaxed as much as possible. Occasionally grab the clutch and shake the right hand a few times to start the blood flowing, then concentrate on not holding any tighter than it takes to get the throttle gripped.
But the truth is, this is my first bike (at 53 yrs old in 2016) and it had a Kaoko before I bought it, so I know nothing else. I often twist the Kaoko and let it hold, putting my right hand on my lap or tapping my leg to the beat of the music. I can slightly add and subtract a tiny bit on uphills and down. After five or ten of these minor adjustments I might have to tighten the Kaoko a little again, but in general it does not have to be fiddled with every time you adjust throttle, it just holds where you put it until you loosen the Kaoko.

I still say practicing swerves and stops to be confident, staying relaxed and alert, and looking far ahead to see and predict traffic changes as early as possible makes all aspects of the ride more comfortable.

Also, just today I read where IBA said for longer rides we should ask our doctor for a vitamin supplement specifically designed to prevent muscle cramps. I don't know, I may look into that before my first SS 1000.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tendinitis can cause pain and tenderness along the hand or wrist that is particularly noticeable when grasping or gripping, forming a fist, or turning the wrist. Pain in the thumb-side of the wrist is the primary symptom of De Quervain's tendinitis, one of the most common types of wrist tendinitis. I hope I don't have it, But I bet I do. Will just half to see what the Doctor says, In life it is always something, Isn't nothing new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, you will need to find what works for you. You have exhausted some of the easier solutions (grip puppies) and agree that some sort of throttle lock is up next. I have the one that clamps loosely on to the throttle grip and hits the brake lever. It tends to decelerate with vibration and turning it just a bit tighter helps. But even if it only gives you a minute to flex or shake your hand it helps. Also, with it on, even if I do continue to hold the throttle, I don't feel like I grip it as tight as normal. Sorry that I don't remember if this is your first rig, but some hand exercises will probably help and I agree, a trip to the doctor is worth a try. Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I hope I don't have it, But I bet I do. Will just half to see what the Doctor says, In life it is always something, Isn't nothing new.
I know exactly what you mean. Lately, everything I do, I am trying to prolong my years of riding. Grips, throttle controls, a new knee....... anything to keep riding baby..... :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy, yup, i have the same issue of the right hand hurting and going numb. the ctx doesn't help much with the return force of the throttle being so constant and extreme. every time i hit a bump , i have to regrip the throttle cause i can't hold enough constant force to keep it from slipping.

the breakaway throttle lock was the answer for me after trying grip puppies and everything up to layers of duct tape. it only gives me a few seconds of relief but that helps.

i also found that one of the meds was partial culprit and changed it to aother which helped a little. i've had to shorten my rides and will probably put my ctx-dct and lift and other motorcycle stuff up for sale in the spring and give it up.

till then dreams and promises to the ctx are all i can do this winter. storm warnings for tomorow and 0 degree temps forcast for next week.

ken

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use a wrist rest which has completely solved this problem for me. Your wrist controls the throttle instead of your hand. Of coarse, your hand is still wrapped around the throttle.

·
Registered
249 Posts
for cold weather I got cheap plastic hand guards to deflect the wind (they help a lot) and have mobile warming heated gloves (when finger tips complain) hope you find a solution lots of good suggestions above

1 - 20 of 47 Posts