CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put another 50 miles on the bike today and can see something will need to be done to the seat. The rider part of the seat curves up to meet the pillion part. I think it would feel better for me if I cut that curve into a 90 degree transition.

I used to ride a Silverwing scooter and liked that seat a lot. With the backstop it was effectively a 90 degree seat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I also wish it was similar to the Silverwings seat. That thing was comfortable with the buttstop turn backrest mod. I could ride that scoot non-stop for 6 hours. Lucky if I can do 2 hours on this thing without being in pain.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The Piaggio BV350 scooter seat also has a more pronounced, straighter butt stop than what is on the CTX, which I liked slightly better than the CTX's slanted stop, but on the Piaggio taller riders couldn't stretch out as well as on the CTX. I'm 5'8 with a 30.5 inseam and sometimes even I would prefer to sit back farther on the scooter than the stop would allow. However, on the CTX the stop is so far back for me that I can't really sit back far enough to take full use of the stop anyway, so even though I'm missing the more pronounced butt stop, it would have to be slightly farther forward for me to make use of it.

I went a different route to give myself back support. I mounted a top box with mount and back pad directly on the pillion seat via lashing straps. There was some flexibility as to where I could mount the top box with respect to forward and back, so I placed it right where I needed a stop for maximum comfort. This gives me the option to sit slightly forward for city riding with an arched back and more control and then sit back against the backrest once I get out on the open highway.

If I want to carry a passenger, I only have to remove the seat and untie the lashing straps and reinstall the seat. About a five minute job. My system also saved me the expense of needing a rack for luggage, however, I don't have the option of a passenger and luggage without a rack. But since I'm almost exclusively a solo rider this is not a problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duct tape.......well because

This just a start so, excuse the rough cutting.

The foam actually is now lower in the back. Not sure how that might feel.

A thought is to cut a bunch of the front part down and replace with a gel pad. That would be later on, if at all.

Now, for a test ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have used a drill with paint remover pad to trim/adjust foam. The kind with little flaps attached to center. Think deck of cards

.You can also order different kinds of foam to make seat softer/harder. I used 3M spray glue to attach foam. The tape will tear and lump up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Gel pads heat up like a sitting on a toaster in the summer. Opposite is to put in fridge to make real cold in summer. My opinion is to put gel pad on top of seat when you use it unless you cover seat in sun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Armdillo- thanks for those tips!

After a 50 mile test ride, the seat is much better. I think I will leave it as is for a while and see things go.

Well worth the few minutes work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts