CTX 700 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 608 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Keep following this thread, wish I could work on my bike the same way, but I ride it daily.. What's that big square tupperware box, Bob?

Clearly you need to buy another CTX so you can do what I'm doing and continue to do what you are doing!
:D
As to the "large" box, that's the rear trunk that acts as my wife's backrest and holds stuff. I found it via Aliexpress.com and is one of the few with a lid that doesn't interfere with backrest pad I made. It'll mount on a Givi rear rack. It'll hold one full sized helmet and gloves and that's about all. I found it in China and picked it for compact size and the lid design that allowed me to make a chushy backrest pad for the wife.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hahaha got three Vespas and one old Mini in the garage, no room for another CTX ;)

I've thinking about a rear trunk several times, but haven't found any with a good looking...

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
JSYK, It May Be Finally Sold?!

Assuming the promised $3000 first payment arrives this week, it looks like my Indian themed trike will be taking up residence in NC o/a Labor Day. I agreed to a "90 days same as cash" arrangement which is the kind of flex one needs to have when selling a Generation X vehicle. Banks are not known for floating loans on 34 year old motorcycles. Those payments will be the funds I need to go ahead with the triking of my CTX!!
:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
Okay, money has changed hands so we have a deal for my GL500i trike. In addition, we've moved up the delivery date to the 8th of Aug. Consequently, I ordered my Corbin w/backrests today. I also ordered my trike assembly from Yelvington Trikes today as well. They supposedly have a finished unit on the shelf -- I'll follow up to confirm that tomorrow.

Finally, I'm trying to get to the registry tomorrow to transfer my plate to the CTX so I can be street legal at last.

I'm getting close!! :D:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Custom Corbin seat

Since this place is loaded with "show me" junkies, Corbin just supplied me with a direct link to show you:

http://goo.gl/4s848j

My blue is a bit lighter, but I like the contrast of the gray leather against a blue background.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Passed a couple of milestones this week. Earlier I ordered the cusomized Corbin seat & backrests (Corbin Saddles). I don't have an ETA as of yet for completion, but I suspect this is a busy season for them and as you see, it is off beat (plus I have the second backrest for them to do as well).

The other thing was the purchase (finally!) of the Yelvington CTX700 trike conversion kit. I'll be picking that up next Wed or Thurs so I can start on building a couple of farkels for it. Namely a hand laid fiberglass top cover like I did for the GL500i, but in addition, I want to make a corresponding bottom cover as well if at all possible. That was something I didn't get to do for the other trike, but wished I had.

One thing surprised me was, that including mine, Yelvington has sold just under 2 dozen CTX kits this year alone! That may not sound like a lot to you, but don't forget, that's just one of their models (but the only one I care about). I know that they sell a lot of Burgmans and Silverwings, not to mention the big twin HD's. Anyhow, my question is how many of YOU out there already have a Yelvington conversion on your bike?? Inquiring minds like to know!!
:D
When I go down there next week, I'm going to encourage Richard to make some provision to let thier CTX customers know about this place. It is too rich a resource to remain hidden to those who are triking out their CTX's.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Captain, we have whales aboard!!

I picked up my Yelvington trike assembly today. I could tell right away that this would be a piece of cake compared to the "some assembly required" days of old. If I can get an extra pair of hands to help me I may try to do a video log of the install.

The written instructions appear to be clearly written and are well illustrated. BTW, those of you who have it will be pleased to know that the ABS is retained.

I do have pictures to share, but don't have time now to upload. Watch this space for more to follow.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Say again?

I just posted this elsewhere, but decided to replicate it here to keep this narrative complete:

I picked up my Yelvington kit this week and will bring my CTX out of storage in the next few days in order to begin installation. My kit has the traditional "straight axle" design, but I'm on tap to upgrade to one of the first production hybrid's this fall. I'll show a couple pics I took of the Sportster prototype -- which is physically identical to the one for the CTX.

The simple "add on" reverse design of a couple years ago took a turn in another direction and is no longer a simple integration of a sprocket/pulley exchange. The first 200 of the HD big twin versions are for sale right now up in Sturgis and that's the one I suspect they will be pushing for right now.

This does not mean that a simpler version might yet be developed, but I venture that the HD would have to hit it out of the ball park to justify pulling the old design out of the grave to be given a new life. Bottom line? I don't expect to be buying a CTX reverse any time soon. [email protected] good thing the CTX "floats" around very nicely on three wheels. It rolls around freely, very much like some of the 250's we built back in the day at Trinity Trike.

The Hybrid works differently than any other you've ever seen, and yet is as effective as the "Plumber's Delights" that weigh two or three time as much. Here are close ups of the Yelvington Hybrid:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Bob Witte, I am looking for a tail bag that will also work as a back rest. Do you find that you bag helps to support your back?

Barry Frisbee
Well, what I have is not a "bag" but a hard shell case. If you want a hard shell, then it will take me some time to research where I got it. I just spent 20 minutes checking the "usual suspects" and can't find it, however my best guess was AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China. the price was sub $100 if I remember correctly if you'd like to meander thru pages of "motorcycle trunk" type search keywords.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
So sad, so glad....

Well the new owner flew in today to ride away in the rain back to NC. He's on his way even now, unless he called it a day and is in a motel (and what with the foul weather today, I hope he did).

So after more than four years, the GL500i chapter is closed and the CTX700 chapter is now running in full force.

Mixed emotions as you can imagine. More to follow!:):(

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Well, what I have is not a "bag" but a hard shell case. If you want a hard shell, then it will take me some time to research where I got it. I just spent 20 minutes checking the "usual suspects" and can't find it, however my best guess was AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles from China. the price was sub $100 if I remember correctly if you'd like to meander thru pages of "motorcycle trunk" type search keywords.
Okay I invested another 30 minutes to the quest and discovered that yes, it was Aliexpress.com and they keep information on my past purchases (which I discovered quite by accident!!).

My vendor is no longer active, but searching a little further I did find the following identical units:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Turtle-trunk-cantelopes-trunk-abs-motorcycle-rear-turtle-trunk/1253984049.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.91.1dK5g7&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_8,searchweb201602_5_10057_10056_10055_10049_10017_10059_10058_10060_10061_10062_412_10063,searchweb201603_6&btsid=add06d9a-a285-4685-93bc-d227b28326c1

Mine was $95 w/shipping included. Assuming they are from the same factory, the quality is just so-so (typical Chinese), but since I'm doing a complete paint job and will beef up the inside with a layer of hand laid fiberglass mine will last just fine. I've also replaced the "pad" (their's is a joke) for the passenger with a Corbin leather cover over 2" of marine grade padding. I also replace their cheap @ss "antenna" with a real one (want it for my USAF flag).

Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bob Witte, the one I am referring to is on the first page of this topic stream. It is a white CTX with a tail bag strapped to it that says Cortech on the side.

Thanks Barry

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
All gone!

Bob Witte, the one I am referring to is on the first page of this topic stream. It is a white CTX with a tail bag strapped to it that says Cortech on the side.

Thanks Barry
Sorry Barry, other than my test drive, I never drove with the soft bags on. Sold them shortly after I got the bike.
:(

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
DCT Parking Brake Question

Even though I have a manual, I want a parking brake. Yeah, I know that I can lash my front brake lever with a velcro strap like I've been doing for the last decade. But since Honda went to the trouble to build one for the DCT, I'm wondering out loud if that unit might work on a 6-Speed.

Anybody done that??:)

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Why? Just put it in first gear and your good, it won't go anywhere.
With a trike, things are different. A two wheeler has two halt points in the case you describe, the kick stand & the gear box. With a trike, all I have is the gear box. But I'm okay if I'm low slope or better yet, no slope. That is not always the case, besides, there are more than a few "nanny state jursidictions" that require a trike to have a mechanical parking brake. And for this, my final ride, I want the best If I can arrange it.

Now to sort of answer my own question: When one is installing a Yelvington trike swingarm, it is set up to mount the stock DCT parking brake on the new disk. Since there is what appears to be a complete parking brake on Ebay right now, for a mere $60.00, I'll roll the dice.
:)

141 - 160 of 608 Posts