CTX 700 Forum banner

601 - 620 of 645 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 · (Edited)
My Russell Daylong seat

I've had my Russell Daylong (RDL) seat for enough miles now that I wanted to give an update on my initial impressions. One thing is for sure, should I ever replace my CTX with some other cycle, the very first modification to that new vehicle will be an RDL conversion of the existing seat. The RDL feels more comfortable each time I sit on it.

I particularly like the Sunbrella material I actually sit upon. It is not a typical seat fabric, but more like a light canvas, so it is tough, but very comfortable to sit on. The material is not slick at all and holds you right in place. I think it looks real good as well. It is even lighter in color than my last Corbin, which will do me well living in sunny Florida.

As a lot of you know already, I've gone thru more seats than most. After the stock seat, I've had both kinds of leather covered Corbin's (normal & low position) and the sprung, custom solo seat I had made for me in India was a great ride. I really liked both of the Corbins and the solo seat. However, I absolutely love this RDL seat! There is just no comparison with my previous seats to the RDL. (can I hear an "Amen!" from the handful of other CTX RDL owners out there??)

However, I almost passed on getting the RDL's rider's backrest. At a rather expensive $325.00, it is very close to half the cost of the full dual seat conversion price. But I tell you, this is the best seat/backrest combination I've ever experienced. I should know. Being in the trike conversion business for 6 years, I've ridden quite a few bikes w/backrests during those years.

Here's a couple of shots:

:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 · (Edited)
More farkles

Over the weekend I installed my new fender racks w/flags as well as a top rack on the rear trunk. In the latter case, that rack finally gives me a place for mount the leather "pouch" given to me by a former customer (and great friend) who has since gone home to be with the Lord. I had it on my '82 GL500i trike and I've been trying to fit it on the CTX from the beginning, but couldn't find a suitable place until now. I use the pouch to hold gloves, sunglasses, and misc. goodies.

Each of the three racks has been "leather textured" to match the luggage, then clear coated. Here are a couple of visuals:

p.s. I just added these pictures to my TMB II Gallery

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 · (Edited)
Lost my top cover

I'm sad to say that yesterday, while finishing painting & pin-striping some black parts on the trike, that I noticed that the rear brake & differential top cover was missing! I lost it somewhere during my Sunday Church group ride. I did remember hearing something while tooling along early on, but I thought it was something from the pickup truck next to me at the time when on US19. I think that's when it flew off. I spent an hour trying to find it but couldn't see any remains. Two days on US19 made sure that it is now just fiberglass splinters!:mad:

As many of you know from earlier posts, I spent a whole lot of time building that cover, but I can't do it again. For the first go round, I had the rear assembly separated from the bike. That is no longer the case, so I'll have to be satisfied with re-installing the chain guard when I install the replacement chain oiler I just got.
:crying:

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 · (Edited)
Final trim work has been done

As mentioned in the previous post just above, I've finally finished off the rest of the black textured trimming (with the dual gold pin stripes) that my "luggage" has been done up with before. The following are a few of the close ups shot today. These, along with several more shots, have been added to my section of the "Gallary" tab.

My clear hand guards and the clear MadStad Lowers were all getting a bit "scruffy" looking, so it was time to do them up in black. I'm pleased with how they turned out:

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 ·
Wide angle mirrors

After 3 previous tries, I finally found a pair of wide angle mirrors that I like. I especially like that the mirrors themselves are real glass (not plastic) although the bases are plastic. As you can see from the photo below, they capture a wide field, yet don't obscure much of the parent rear view mirrors they are installed on.

Here is where I got them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7CC6FS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #607 · (Edited)
Bob did you use an nc700 or nc750 after market shock?
It was an NC750x as is detailed in the link in my signature documents. Look it over for details on the How-To. Note however, that my eBay source is no longer available. You'll have to do a fresh search for an NC700x rear shock.
:D

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 · (Edited)
Found another rear shock eBay source

It was an NC750x as is detailed in the link in my signature documents. Look it over for details on the How-To. Note however, that my eBay source is no longer available. You'll have to do a fresh search for an NC700x rear shock.
:D
Needed a break this morning, so I did some checking.

Based upon the description of the one I bought in 2018, I found two more retailers that appear to have the exact same units for sale today. I know nothing about either one, nor if what they are selling comes from the same factory as mine. But from the looks of things, these units appear to be the same model as mine. And after 2 years of use, I can report that I'm quite happy with my results. However, your results may vary of course. In any case, here are the links to two currently possible sources:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-310mm-...ension-For-Honda-NC700-2012-2017/254065537222

Here's another:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-Honda-...ear-Suspension-Shock-Absorber-MP/113855146868

Good luck! :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Apart from the bike lifts projects we are discussing elsewhere, and due to the blue base coat fading, I have just begun the full re-paint project for my trike. This time the scheme is gold leaf as the primary color. BTW, it is real metal leafing, not just a paint color called "Gold Leaf." As I did before, the gold leaf will be topped off with at least 6 layers of gold metal flakes. I made up a mixture of .004", .008" & .015" sized flakes. This time I'm using automotive metal flakes instead of fish lure glitter. It does make a difference! There will also be a textured black trim with double metalic gold pin stripes like is on the trike luggage already. As before, the body parts being leafed will also be textured. I like the texture for how the top coating shows up in the sunlight, even the non-metal flaked black portions really pop when in the sun. And we have plenty of that here in Florida!

The gold leaf & metal flakes are laid down and top coated already. I did the black texture yesterday and will pin stripe and clear coat it today and perhaps re-assemble everything NLT tomorrow at which time I'll post some photos.
😎

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #610 ·
Apart from the bike lifts projects we are discussing elsewhere, and due to the blue base coat fading, I have just begun the full re-paint project for my trike. This time the scheme is gold leaf as the primary color. BTW, it is real metal leafing, not just a paint color called "Gold Leaf." As I did before, the gold leaf will be topped off with at least 6 layers of gold metal flakes. I made up a mixture of .004", .008" & .015" sized flakes. This time I'm using automotive metal flakes instead of fish lure glitter. It does make a difference! There will also be a textured black trim with double metalic gold pin stripes like is on the trike luggage already. As before, the body parts being leafed will also be textured. I like the texture for how the top coating shows up in the sunlight, even the non-metal flaked black portions really pop when in the sun. And we have plenty of that here in Florida!

The gold leaf & metal flakes are laid down and top coated already. I did the black texture yesterday and will pin stripe and clear coat it today and perhaps re-assemble everything NLT tomorrow at which time I'll post some photos.
😎
I didn't like how the .004 black metal flakes looked on my test piece, so I ordered some .008 and .015 flakes today. So dispite the promises, no pictures until the end of the week. 😥

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 ·
I didn't like how the .004 black metal flakes looked on my test piece, so I ordered some .008 and .015 flakes today. So dispite the promises, no pictures until the end of the week. 😥
The black flakes just arrived, but I doubt my camera will be able to capture the look of them anyway. So here's a shot of the completed front fender:

Most importantly, my wife loves the new look and has even mentioned she might take a short ride with me! Here's hoping. (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
The black flakes just arrived, but I doubt my camera will be able to capture the look of them anyway. So here's a shot of the completed front fender:

View attachment 86121

Most importantly, my wife loves the new look and has even mentioned she might take a short ride with me! Here's hoping. (y)

The black metal flakes did little enhance the black trim. Several coats of clear are more than enough. So I re-did the black trim on the front fender. Although both Karen and I liked the white separation between the black & gold areas, the 1/4" wide tape would not curve without wrinkles. So as you'll see below, I used a white double bar pin stripe instead. Both Karen & I like this look, and that's what we will be going with.

Here are several shots of the front fender I did today:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wide angle mirrors

After 3 previous tries, I finally found a pair of wide angle mirrors that I like. I especially like that the mirrors themselves are real glass (not plastic) although the bases are plastic. As you can see from the photo below, they capture a wide field, yet don't obscure much of the parent rear view mirrors they are installed on.

Here is where I got them:

Amazon.com: New Blind Spot Mirrors. Can be Installed Adjustable or Fixed. Car Mirror for Blind Side/Door Mirrors by Utopicar. Larger Image and Traffic Safety. Wide Angle Rear View! [Frameless Design] (2 Pack): Car Electronics

🤓

you know, if you turn the mirror extenders out to the side (as they were designed to be used) you'll get a much better field of vision to the rear

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
you know, if you turn the mirror extenders out to the side (as they were designed to be used) you'll get a much better field of vision to the rear
Been there, done that. However, for me there is no such thing as too much rear viewing.

Of the 5 automotive accidents I've had in 62 years of licensed driving, all of them totalled my vehicles, but providentially, none of them did any serious damage to me or my family! Each of those accidents were caused by someone plowing into me from behind while I was sitting at a stop light or at a stop sign.

In each of those 5 accidents, on any kind of motorcycle, I would have left the scene in a body bag!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Bob, been there done that with the rear-ended thing. Mine was while I was moving. Totaled my Valkyrie and left me with vertigo for 6 months. Half of which I spent holding on to something just to walk across a room.
Back to the mirror thing-am still curious as to why, with the extenders you use, they are not set out to the sides for maximum rear view?
Am a long time user of them and on several different bikes. An added benefit is by moving the mirrors out a bit there seems to be better airflow off the windshield and less turbulence results.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
Bob, been there done that with the rear-ended thing. Mine was while I was moving. Totaled my Valkyrie and left me with vertigo for 6 months. Half of which I spent holding on to something just to walk across a room.
Back to the mirror thing-am still curious as to why, with the extenders you use, they are not set out to the sides for maximum rear view?
Am a long time user of them and on several different bikes. An added benefit is by moving the mirrors out a bit there seems to be better airflow off the windshield and less turbulence results.
Thanks for sharing. I had a month long bout with vertigo albeit not from an automotive incident, so I feel your pain! I wanted and was happy with the lift I got from the extenders. And yes, I just checked the bike and I see I can swing the extenders further out to their respective sides. I'll do that before the next ride to see if it helps, but I already know I'll likely keep the convex add-on's as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
Okay, just went out and re-adjusted the extenders as you suggested. Thanks ever so much, the adjustment made a huge difference! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 · (Edited)
I'm betting you feel a difference in wind too.
That would be nice! But I doubt I'll find out for the next couple of weeks as I get serious about the gilding of TMB II. What with this major transformation in the look, I may even have to consider a name change (Golden-something) and even a sex change to go along with it! Thinga-Ma-Bob II is masculine, but if it winds up say, something like Goldilocks he will have to become a she! I'll let Karen decide, since this color change was of her choosing. Although I determined that a new paint job was needed, she got to pick the color(s) to be done. 😎

601 - 620 of 645 Posts