CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 623 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@BobWitte
well if you go with an orange and black theme, you'll be a big hit on Halloween!
then there's always Kermit Green and Miss Piggy pink-talk about standing out in a crowd!
Actually, as well as signalling Halloween, orange and black have been the colors of Harley for over a century. However, their orange won't be confused with my orange!

we will need progress pics once you start the procedure
You may regret asking for that! Be it known, I am a verbose windbag with a digital camera. One need only compare my "for sale" blog (linked below in my signature) to most other entries in Craiglist to confirm that!! :D

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Painting Plastic Body Parts

I have two test pieces that I've painted so far: the metal front piece over the muffler and the small plastic cover near the left foot peg. For prep I cleaned both with acetone and did a light sanding. The metal part was primed using automotive etching primer and then coated with gloss white Fusion spray paint. The plastic cover was given two coats of the Fusion.

When I check them this morning and gave each a scratch test for adhesion, the metal piece was fine but I was surprised that the plastic one is not. The Fusion plastic paint is not sticking as I want it to. I've done enough plastic part painting to know that sometimes it takes awhile for Fusion to reach full cure strength, but usually overnight is enough.

Not so in this case. I'll give it another day before I strip it off to try something else. I can tell (I think) that the plastic used on the factory colored pieces seems different than the parts I'm trying to paint. So my question to the community is has anyone else painted our black engine body panels successfully?? And if so, how and with what?

TIA! :confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Painting Plastic Body Parts

Although you should chime in if you have good experiences to share, but with further googling, I think I can answer my own question. SEM makes a plastic adhesion promoter that should do the trick. I'll give it a try and report back.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
You might be interested in what marshmonkey did with his bike. http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/honda-ctx700-pictures/28625-ctx700-hv-hi-vis.html

The blacked out look and Hi-Vis color scheme looks fantastic. I've also seen 3 CTX700's done in Hi-Vis orange, Emerald green, and Emerald green/Cobra paint scheme. The two green CTX's were done by a custom shop in Houston. The orange was done by bodyshop locally for less than $400.

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You need a primer for plastic. I use Valspar's, works well.

Stopped at the local FLAPS who's website said they had 2 cans. They not only didn't have the 2 cans, the staff had no idea about any SEM products! I've used Valspar before and they have good stuff -- but I didn't know they had what I need. I'm off to Lowe's this afternoon. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You might be interested in what marshmonkey did with his bike. http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/honda-ctx700-pictures/28625-ctx700-hv-hi-vis.html

The blacked out look and Hi-Vis color scheme looks fantastic. I've also seen 3 CTX700's done in Hi-Vis orange, Emerald green, and Emerald green/Cobra paint scheme. The two green CTX's were done by a custom shop in Houston. The orange was done by bodyshop locally for less than $400.
Yes, I have seen that -- very nice job too! My paint will be quite different in that I'm painting about a dozen panels that are black on 99.9% of all other CTX's. Can't wait to see how it transforms the bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Panel Painting

Well the Valspar primer was a complete success. My test piece was nice and hard and quite scratch resistant this morning. For compatibility I also bought their gloss white plastic paint for top coating the pieces. I test sprayed the metal exhaust cover I primed yesterday and am impressed with how close a match it is to the OEM paint job. That will save me a bundle.

Pictures will follow once I've done the rest of the bike.:)

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any developments on the solo seat pan? I'm rather curious about the conversion myself and if nothing else, think it could lower the seat height which might make it fit better in my case

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Any developments on the solo seat pan? I'm rather curious about the conversion myself and if nothing else, think it could lower the seat height which might make it fit better in my case
No progress actually, but there are developments. I called a friend of mine in Canada for his advice. He is a former Trinity Trike customer and has a lot of experience at hand laid fiberglass and mold making. We talked about how to fill in the gaps and indentations on the OEM plastic seat pan. I was thinking about using expanding insulation foam and he concurred.

What I'll do (when I'll do it) will be to inject the foam nozzle into the various cavities and low spots while covering the entire seat area as well. After the foam cures I'll then play the role of sculptor and carve away everything that doesn't look like a seat cover.

My main tooling will be an old electric carving knife and my die grinder with maroon and then green 3M scuff pads. Lastly I'll my vibrating tool with it's triangle shaped sanding head. Once that is done I'll put down a layer of fiberglass mat to cap it off. Since I intend to once again have a textured finish, the final shaping and sanding does not have to be perfect (as I'm sure it won't be).
My own intention here has nothing to do with lowering the seat height and from what I see already, I would be surprised it that happens, but of course we'll find that out later.

·
Registered
828 Posts
No progress actually, but there are developments. I called a friend of mine in Canada for his advice. He is a former Trinity Trike customer and has a lot of experience at hand laid fiberglass and mold making. We talked about how to fill in the gaps and indentations on the OEM plastic seat pan. I was thinking about using expanding insulation foam and he concurred.

What I'll do (when I'll do it) will be to inject the foam nozzle into the various cavities and low spots while covering the entire seat area as well. After the foam cures I'll then play the role of sculptor and carve away everything that doesn't look like a seat cover.

My main tooling will be an old electric carving knife and my die grinder with maroon and then green 3M scuff pads. Lastly I'll my vibrating tool with it's triangle shaped sanding head. Once that is done I'll put down a layer of fiberglass mat to cap it off. Since I intend to once again have a textured finish, the final shaping and sanding does not have to be perfect (as I'm sure it won't be).
My own intention here has nothing to do with lowering the seat height and from what I see already, I would be surprised it that happens, but of course we'll find that out later.

So within the foam will you be adding anchor wholes for the solo seat mechanism? Or does that come later in development?

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So within the foam will you be adding anchor holes for the solo seat mechanism? Or does that come later in development?

I don't plan on the "cover" I'm configuring to supply any support whatsoever. From what I see that is available to me I'll "drill down" thru the cover for the rear support necessary, especially if I use the Mustang solo seat unit.

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Full Disclosure for Cruiseliner N1101 hard bags

I mentioned in the previous post about two major purchases made yesterday, but in my dotage, only told you about the one. Although getting a Corbin for only $325 delivered is good, saving some $500 on the hard bags will more than pay for the Cee Bailey shield I'm a hankering for!

I picked up a set of National Cycle Cruiseliner N1101 hard bags for less than $200 delivered. On the other hand, there's a whole flock of the N1101 smooth bags on eBay at $720 a set! Except for the carve outs for turn signals, these are the same model I have on my Silverwing. The dimensions are: 24-1/2″ L x 14″ H x 7-1/2″ W. They don't have mounting hardware, but I doubt that National Cycle would have that for our bikes any how. Besides, I have that covered from what I did on the Silverwing.

As luck would have it, there's one more set on eBay right now:
Saddlebags Honda Yamaha Harley Sporster Alike National Cycle Cruiseliner N1101 | eBay Somebody should go for it!! :)

Bags arrived today in good condition and were as described. However, from the photos for mine and I assume from the other set now on eBay, it was not clear that they were just primed. So be prepared to apply your own top coat (no matter to me, I would be doing that in any case). Just didn't want anybody to be surprised/disappointed for anything I recommended.

Otherwise, I'm real happy with them!:)

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Bags arrived today in good condition and were as described. However, from the photos for mine and I assume from the other set now on eBay, it was not clear that they were just primed. So be prepared to apply your own top coat (no matter to me, I would be doing that in any case). Just didn't want anybody to be surprised/disappointed for anything I recommended.

Otherwise, I'm real happy with them!:)
You might want to consider these brackets I'm selling for the new bags. They are custom fabricated by a local shop to fit the CTX. http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/luggage-cargo/19514-redesigned-saddlebag-box-brackets.html

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hard Bag Brackets

You might want to consider these brackets I'm selling for the new bags. They are custom fabricated by a local shop to fit the CTX. http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/luggage-cargo/19514-redesigned-saddlebag-box-brackets.html

Thanks for doing this for our CTX family!!:)

In a vain attempt, I was googling bracket images for about 30 minutes just before I saw your post!! As far as adapting the OEM bracket, at twice the price I wasn't eager to have to pay even more for major mods to accommodate my bags. Good job!! I'm awaiting the mailing address right now to get a set for TMB2.

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for doing this for our CTX family!!:)

In a vain attempt, I was googling bracket images for about 30 minutes just before I saw your post!! As far as adapting the OEM bracket, at twice the price I wasn't eager to have to pay even more for major mods to accommodate my bags. Good job!! I'm awaiting the mailing address right now to get a set for TMB2.

Da check is in da mail. Review will be made in a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
In between painting body panels yesterday I cleaned up the seat pan in preparation for the next step in that project. There was a lot of foam stuck to the plastic. Therefore using my drill on low speed, I used one of those 3M type scotch pad disks to gently grind off the bigger chunks. What that didn't get yielded to an old sock dipped in laquer thinner. So here is the "before" (the after will come after!):

For the fill in expanding foam I mentioned before I'm going to try a product called Touch'n Foam Landscape (www.touch-n-foam.com). I bought it for it's intended use to repair some loose landscape stones. But I suspect that with it's adhesive properties along with the expanding aspect, it should do the job I want. If not, I'll have an excess of plastic to throw in to the recycle bin for next week's pickup! Stay tuned......

41 - 60 of 623 Posts