CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are riding 2 up on our '15 CTX700 from Oregon to Utah and back. We're traveling with another couple on a BMW R1100RT, and their daughter is driving a car. We're leaving St. George, UT to head home tomorrow. Crossed the Cascades and headed into Nevada, went past Area 51 and spent some time in St. George. We're headed west to cross the Sierra thru Yosemite and then up the coast to Oreg
Tire Wheel Sky Mountain Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
World Map Line Atlas Parallel
World Map Line Atlas Parallel
Ecoregion Map Azure World Atlas
on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not sure how to edit post #1, sorry my travel computer is pretty minimal. The return map is doubled and before the going map.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a beautiful ride, even from just the few pictures you posted. I couldn't help but to wonder how comfortable the trip has been for the passengers for such a distance?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
First & only time thru Yosemite was on 2 wheels. Also rode the northern CA part of Pacific Coast Hiway. Challenging and magical at the same time. Would love to do it again someday.;) Plz update when you are home, TY.
Stay Safe.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a beautiful ride, even from just the few pictures you posted. I couldn't help but to wonder how comfortable the trip has been for the passengers for such a distance?
On the CTX side, my wife & I both have AirHawk pads on top of the stock seat, and they do help. On the more general side, I think you just plan around what works for everyone. Take regular breaks, and do distances that work for all. The more I do it, the more a bit longer day seems OK.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First & only time thru Yosemite was on 2 wheels. Also rode the northern CA part of Pacific Coast Hiway. Challenging and magical at the same time. Would love to do it again someday.;) Plz update when you are home, TY.
Stay Safe.
I'll update it now. Left St. George at dawn, and the rising sun on the canyons was amazing. Lots of miles on pretty empty roads, and had to monitor fuel. With my tires the spedo reads high, but I get about 65 mpg on gps measured miles. On Utah and Nevada roads that drops to 52 mpg at 75+ on the gps. Didn't stop for pics as I'm not a good enough photographer to take nice landscape pics. It's scenic, in an austere way. Here's the first day route:
Ecoregion Map World Screenshot Font

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday was thru Yosemite, and the CTX did just fine going up to Tioga Pass. Pretty smoky, so not too much to see, but riding through Yosemite is still great. Today was thru Napa & Sonoma. Being on two wheels only stopped to taste at 1 winery, but had some very good wine, and bought a bottle for the evening.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to finish up. We quit a little early and stopped in Ukiah, as it was starting to rain a bit. Rained overnight, and was clearing as we started up 101. Spent the next night in Crescent City, and home the next day. I don't ride out to the coast enough, and resolve to remedy that in the future.

With day trips out of St. George, we did a bit over 3,000 miles on this trip, so the CTX is a touring bike, and can do 2 up. I'll give a shout out to my Kaoko Throttle Lock, without which my right hand wouldn't have made it, and my Sedici Cooling Vest, which got me across Nevada.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it!(y) I hope for the time to travel again, when I have fewer daily obligations.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts