CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting in the Ferry line at Kingston, a guy gets off his Harley, wanders in our direction, and initiates a conversation with the line, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda." The fact that I recognized this slogan dates both of us immediately (see 1963 ad below) and I'm slightly at a loss for words because… well, you meet every kind of person on a Harley… most of them are really great folks, but the stereotype includes a some characters you might not want to meet. I managed to come up with a reply and we fell into a conversation. Gregg (not his real name) really loves his Harley and talked at length about all the interstate rides he's gone on and how reliable and comfortable his bike is. His enthusiasm and the details of his descriptions were very interesting to me and I enjoyed our conversation a lot. We were, however, standing directly in front of my CTX (with his bike in the distance) and there seemed to be no interest or curiosity on his part for my bike, so I brought up the subject with, "I just bought that bike." As he looked at it for the first time, I let him have it. Usually I start gradually with something like, "It's a dct model where you can shift the gears with your hands." But this time I just said simply, "It's an automatic," and let that sink in. Greg's reaction was wonderful. "NOOOO!", as he rushed around to the other side of the bike to witness the missing clutch handle. "OH…! THAT'S THE END OF EVERYTHING !!" I had to laugh. He calmed down a bit when I reassured him I could still shift gears manually and usually did.

His reaction though illustrates some of the hurdles Honda may have to clear if they want their dct models to gain traction with experienced motorcyclists.

Later however, Gregg confessed that he sort of wanted to get a scooter. Perhaps deep inside even the most confirmed motorcyclist lies some open-minded interest in other kinds of bikes.

You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda (note the American flag in the last scene)

Compare to the modern Honda ad for the CTX Cousin, the NC700 Integra : both ads are decidedly urban, feature very laid-back music and present characters who are "squeaky clean."

·
Registered
975 Posts
I know of a Kingston, Jamaica and Kingston, TN USA. Do you mind revealing where your Kingston is that has a ferry boat?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Riders were scoffing at electric start when it began replacing kick starters too. Not as reliable and won't look as cool as kicking the bike . Funny how history repeats itself.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Probably......if they continue to sell motorcycles with auto xmissions only us old people will know how to shift and we'll be too old to drive anything except wheelchairs.
Kind of like now.....most kids learning to drive can't shift a stick.
Not too long ago somebody tried to steal a car. Wasn't sucuccessful since it was a stick and he was clueless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
> Maybe Kingston Ontario Canada? It's halfway between Toronto and Montreal.

No, no. Castellan had it right: Kingston Washington on the Puget Sound. Tiny little town with some very nice roads that lead to islands where there are a lot more very nice roads (sans cars). I really hate cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts