CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just gonna throw this out there, because the performance I have experienced so far has far surpassed any cruiser experience I have had. Even compared to a Yamaha VMAX, which has INSANE straight line performance, the CTX700N handles at least like a standard, and in my opinion like a sport bike (compared to a cruiser anyway).

The performance from 65-95 for me has surpassed any bike I have owned except for my oooooold Yamaha RZ350, which was really a racing bike in street clothing (that two stroke was crazy quick).

Now I know it's not a GSXR or a CBRR or an Aprilla _____. But if a Ninja 300 is a sportbike, then my CTX700ND can certainly wear the water soluable title of "sportbike", at least temporarily in a fashion.

The things I am able to do on my CTX700ND I could never have done on my 100HP VTX1800C ... still suprise me. Manueverability, effortless, acceleration, you catch my drift.

The seating position is cruiser, but this AIN'T no cruiser I have ever ridden like this. Argue with me all ya want, but I am more impressed everytime I ride this thing. And yes, I am an experienced motorcyclist with time on a wide variety of bikes

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh loooook... the NC700S

Not here in US, elsewhere in the world, it's a verison of our bike but with the big NC700X cargo box where the gas tank would be. note the standard foot pegs? truly an international design.

The NC700S is more of the NC700X though- keeps the tank luggage box, and the rear seat configuration with underseat gas tank. But the main frame up front is exactly the same I think. The big difference between NC700X and CTX700 is everything supporting the rear suspension.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would call it a hybrid. It has elements of all the market segments - cruiser, tourer, sportbike, standard, even scooter. I have optimized mine as a short to mid-range tourer.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I was actually disappointed I could not buy an NC700S because I like mid controls and the trunk and it was also lower then the NC700X which was too tall by my short legs. So I took the CTX. I would swap for an S if I could. Many versions of what we get that are sold outside the USA have features we might enjoy if only the makers would give us a chance. I know it costs a lot to get all the approvals and maybe the bean counters win but Honda could have done some market research before deciding.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Actually, the NC700S is a very bland NC700X for the most part. Just a relatively inexpensive so-so sport bike designed to appeal to the European market. The shorter seat height is due to the reduced suspension length of travel and the very basic top half. The NC700X was altered and re-molded to appeal to the adventure segment. A short suspension travel would not have been conducive to riding in the back country. Call it a crossover dirt bike. Nothing like riding in style while riding a back county dirt road. The fact that it appeals to so many people is due to the crossover effect these vehicles have. I fell into this category as well and actually went to my dealership check in hand to buy one. That is until I sat on one. I'm six foot and barely could flat foot it. Comparing the NC700S to the CTX is a considerable stretch. The differences between the two has to do with the rear frame. The NC models frame all cant upward at a much higher angle to allow suspension travel. Honda was able to take advantage of this by moving the fuel tank to the rear allowing room for the now famous frunk. Genius because even though the NC bikes would never be considered as a tourer or commuter for that matter, we all love the frunk! The CTX rear frame has a more traditional rake similar to the days of old. Due to some innovative engineering, we all have a super low seat height on a bike that's really designed to function as a sport bike. Call it a crossover in reverse. The CTX appeals not only as a commuter but a touring bike as well. Pure genius. I never even considered the CTX until I sat on one. Didn't take very long to make up my mind either. I'm glad I bought one and couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
not sure i'd compare it to a sportbike, but it definitely handles better than any cruiser i've ridden unless you consider the ducati diavel a cruiser. it's definitely more fun than folks give it credit for, and the parallel twin's 270 degree cant and uneven firing make it sound and feel a LOT like a triumph speedmaster/america...

THAT said, you'll drag parts LONG before a ninja 300 in the curves. ;-) the ninja 300 is an insanely peppy different breed of fun, and i don't think the ctx700 is comparable to it (or vice-versa). a ninja 300 is trackable; not sure i'd take the 700 to the local track!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you would enjoy taking the CTX700 to the local track... just not RIDING it on the local track

SCRAAAAAAPE SCRAAAAAAAPE SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts