CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working with a company to develop some tank and side protection for the CTX. These would fit all models. I wanted to get an idea if anyone would be interested, here is the initial development. The angles and curves will be cleaned up in production and obviously centered. I currently have another pad under the center .

·
Registered
111 Posts
The places I notice I have to keep polishing the tank to get rid of tiny scratches is at the base (just above the seat) right along the curves between your middle pads and your side pads. I put an arrow in this pic. I think my jeans must rub there a bit when I ride. I'd be interested in tank protection like 3M clear bra material.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with that immediate area is the compound angles which will make it difficult for the pad to lay flat. I could try and see if the manufacturer wants to experiment, they have the initial photos but I sent them late Friday. It is a mail operation as we are in different states.

A secondary idea would be for the center pad to come over more but it will cross panels, what do you guys think about that?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Glad you're working on this. Is there any kind of clearish non-permanent spray-on that would work?

·
Registered
90 Posts
You're right CEETEEX, I don't think crossing panels would be a good idea. It would be nice if you could roll it into the seams. Maybe make it a little large and trim to fit at the seams-that would/could allow for user variations in placement.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think 3m has a new spray out. This will not be a thin film, it is a thin pad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We bought the film type self adhesive clear "bra" and did indeed have issues with the contours. It doesn't look great but the tank bag and straps cover most of it. If you can make one that has a little more coverage and is molded to those contours just a bit more, I'd be your first customer!

Because I'm short, (5'2") I pretty much have to hug the tank to reach the shift lever so there were scuffs the first time I rode it. The nose of the bike could use the same type of application. I want to keep it looking as new as possible for years to come! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Almost forgot.... Need to get the gas cover opened so if any of the films can be molded to go around those curves where it opens, that would be great also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Ceeteex on another matter, where did you get those foot "pegs"? I have the DCT and it just has the regular foot pegs. I really like yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious where you got the board to replace the peg. As to your main question, yes I would be interested if price was reasonable.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Harley sells a little tank bra made out of fake leather. It might be worth looking at. Go to a Harley dealer and ask it you could try it on your bike. There Peanut tank has much of the same shape at the end. It might also be short enough that the door can still open.

So far after a couple of months, I have yet to scratch mine. Maybe I set back away from it more. Adjusting the brake lever helped too.

good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If developed the material will be a black pad material, not a clear film. Looking at the angles and desired coverage I do not feel that what is being asked for can be manufactured. At this point I am in STANDBY mode until I hear back from the manufacturer.

I will not be involved in sales at all, just providing input for development.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I love the idea, and I second [third?] the notion of the fitment given those compound curves. Some of the simpler OEM self-stick jobs have multiple slashes around the perimeter to handle the curves, but most of them look cheesy and kiddy-bike to me. I want something simple, plain and protective. Definitely interested and thanks for your post.

best,
f

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You're right: it's called Paint Defender and it looks perfect for the job. It dries to a thin plastic layer - looks a bit like saran wrap - which can be removed simply by pulling it off.

Videos: 3M Auto: Products for People Who Love Cars

Amazon: Amazon.com: 3M 90000 Paint Defender Spray Film: Automotive

This stuff is also going on the top of my tank to keep the tank bag from scuffing it. Thanks.

Jim
That looks like a great option for those who want those hard to cover angles protected as well as a clear film of protection.

The other option would be a center pad that crosses the three panels (center, left, right)and goes to the edge where the drop off begins on each area that was pointed out earlier in the thread near the seat. As Bill stated it would probably have to have some type of relief bend and would be hard to stay attached due to that harsh slope by the seat. I know because that is exactly what I have on mine now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts