CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tank bag recommendations for the CTX? Something not too big? Thanks...

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
41 Posts
T Bags Shuttle Pack Tank

I love the CTX700n looks but jeez the storage is laughable. I bought from Amazon the Shuttle. It came with suction cups that don't work due to the shape of the tank, but for $20 I liked the look so I attached (with small screws) rubber feet so it mostly stays in place (of course the anchor strap is also attached).

gripes:
still not enough storage
not secure
had to add some weight to keep it planted

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love the CTX700n looks but jeez the storage is laughable. I bought from Amazon the Shuttle. It came with suction cups that don't work due to the shape of the tank, but for $20 I liked the look so I attached (with small screws) rubber feet so it mostly stays in place (of course the anchor strap is also attached).

gripes:
still not enough storage
not secure
had to add some weight to keep it planted
Nice looking bag, but not sure I want to drill screw holes in the bike for that. Might just have to go the backpack route. Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
storage

For me, a backpack was the way to go. I bought a Kriega25 which works great. Almost like it is not there when riding the bike (700N).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me, a backpack was the way to go. I bought a Kriega25 which works great. Almost like it is not there when riding the bike (700N).
I'm already looking. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a pack few years ago that worked on several different styles of bike. Rivco out of CA
I think was the name , will give more thoughts. It had 4straps a very cushy pad , 2 compartments , a map pocket and was pretty weather proof. Dern, wish I remembered the name Later

·
Registered
71 Posts
Backpack = Cheap now, expensive later.
A backpack on a motorcycle means lower back pain further down the track. Ok, so you're not the kind of rider who crashes. Well, do I have news for you!
The best rider still "comes down" on the most stupid stuff. That's not us of course!

If you wear a backpack, and are unfortunate enough to "come down", it increases the possibility of the d*** thing getting caught on any parts of the bike. Result of this is, you are sliding down the road in front of the bike. Not a great place to be when the tree or guard rail comes along.

I must admit, I do love the expression "comes down". It's so much more elegant than "mangled" or "disfigured"... or dare I say it..."Paraplegic"
Be mindful, there's even worse than being a "Para". No, I don't know this from experience, but it happen, and it's not a pretty sight.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I saw the picture of the tank bag. If I used that bag I would have it netted down on the seat behind me. My naked bike stays pretty much naked. maybe I would spring for a rack at most. If I were going away for a day or so I would pack a small duffle bag and net it on the seat too. Maybe a sheet of foam cut to fit under it so the pretty red does not get scratched.

Backpacks never made sense to me for riding. Tank bags seems like they would always be in my way. I have had small fabric throw over saddle bags. They are cheap and easy to put on and take off. Honda bags are nice but I never owned any as I was too cheap and ride most of the time local with 150+ mile day rides so don't need to carry much at all so the extra width would mean I would have to take em off and put them somewhere where they would not get scratched. so my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A bike without some kind of storage is not very practical. Unless you want to get your stuff stolen, you have to use hard saddlebags or a backpack. Many stores won't let you come in with a backpack. That means any bike without hard bags is unusable for anything beyond short rides.

I've heard some stories of sport bike riders doing some serious shoulder damage by falling off the bike while wearing a backpack. I think I probably ride with a backpack once per week or so. Like most bikers, I work on the poor assumption that it won't happen to me. :(

I mounted a Touratech expandable tail bag on the seat of my Wee Strom to make it more practical for commuting. But I take a risk of theft every time I leave the bike parked while I take a restroom break. That severely limits the bike's usefulness.

Recent Motorcycling Pictures - TennesseeSmith's Photos

Search Results - Touratech-USA

I really like the solution Honda came up with on the NC700.

I have the hard bags on my CTX. If I had it to do over, I would skip the color matching panels and just leave the bags black. Those panels are just fastened on with a screw and some double sided tape. They come loose around the edges, making a proper cleaning impossible. I have been amazed at how much stuff I'm able to carry in the bags.

The luggage rack for the CTX is infinitely better than the odd plastic thing on the Wee.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A bike without some kind of storage is not very practical. Unless you want to get your stuff stolen, you have to use hard saddlebags or a backpack. Many stores won't let you come in with a backpack. That means any bike without hard bags is unusable for anything beyond short rides.
This is not entirely true. Some people have a different situation or use their bikes in a different way wherein soft luggage fits the bill perfectly.

Ninety-five percent of my riding is for a long, highway, work commute. The bike is in a locked parking garage both at home and at work.

Currently I'm using a 60-liter or so Dewalt Tool bag with holes drilled out in the bottom rails with twine loops tied in those holes. I've got the bag bungied to the tie down hooks and I just keep the bag mounted on there most all the time. I keep a towel between the bag and the seat to protect the seat and the painted surface behind the seat. It's not pretty, but I care little at this point. This ugly tool bag is totally usable for me, even though eventually I plan on getting a Bestem, 45-liter top case for $80 once a luggage rack solution comes out that is cheaper than $275. There is a slight possibility that someone may steal my lunch or a sundry items from the bag or the bag itself or the bike, but it is just as likely that rural, middle Tennessee will get a significant earth quake before that happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts