CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving this morning (Thursday) from Tampa, Fl to Michigan. One week (or a little more) on the road to visit family and friends.

A chance to put some long miles on the NC700X and CTX700D and see how they handle for upcoming trips.

Video camera latch broke this morning before leaving, but having a replacement shipped to Mother-N-Laws house so we can get some video on the way back.

Really looking forward to getting out of the Florida rain, heat and humidity for a short while, and I'm a 60 year native.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thumper you and the Magster be safe out there. My Wife and I are taking a trip next week also. We'll leave San Diego Tuesday headed to the gold country east of Sacramento with a detour through Yosemite just for fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You all be safe. Thumper, I'm looking forward to seeing the videos. Peace and ride safe.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Safe ride. My wife and I just did a 250 mile round trip in the deserts and mountains of AZ. That included a downpour and then hail in Yarnell, AZ. We were road weary, but safe and happy with how the bike performed. I had all the power, and all the control I needed, esp on those downhill switchbacks out of Prescott, AZ to Yarnell. We are excited to hear your reports.
f

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just pulled into Carterville, Ga. (I think). Got a great room and did 497 miles today. The CTX is a flawless machine! We hit 1.5 hrs of traffic jam on the Westbound Atlanta Bypass and my hand was tired from clutching on the NC700X. Magster was all smiles! :)

Tired and hitting the hot tub with a beverage of my choice.

Tomorrow, we push on but maybe not as many miles. Just having fun and taking it as it comes. Oh yea, rain here in the South has just been relentless.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Michigan this morning. Very nice weather up here compared to Florida. I had to put the warm jacket on. Bikes are handling great and family was surprised to see us. Heading back home on Monday but taking our time.
CTX is a great bike for long distance! Added an adjustable spoiler to the short screen before we left and it worked great. Not sure we will opt for the tall screen for a while if ever.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
In Michigan this morning. Very nice weather up here compared to Florida. I had to put the warm jacket on. Bikes are handling great and family was surprised to see us. Heading back home on Monday but taking our time.
CTX is a great bike for long distance! Added an adjustable spoiler to the short screen before we left and it worked great. Not sure we will opt for the tall screen for a while if ever.
How about some additional info on the spoiler, or a quick photo also if you have time. THANKS

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
spoiler alert, spoiler alert..... keep em guessing Thumper.

Nice that you made it there safe and had a good first outing of quite some distance on your new 700's.

Safe trip back and hope the rains are gone too. Sounds like your enjoying the northern climate. I'm jealous I can't fit in long rides but up over 1600 miles anyway with just day rides.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Look on Twisted Throttle website and you can find the Spoiler. Different sizes so measure you windshield across the top for fitment. I believe I ordered the 10" wide spoiler. As mentioned, it is adjustable but once you set it, that is pretty much where you will use it anyway. We have some pics but since we are on the road right now, it is not easy for us to resize and post a pic. I will do it when we return so you can see it on the bike. Looks pretty good I think. Magster is only 5' so it makes not looking through the windshield great for her. That is her preference.
Warning: There is no quite Goldwing envelope of air behind this spoiler. It does make it better for riding but you will still get some air across your shoulders.

BTW Greg, I am pretty sure Bills comment was in jest.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Thanks Thumper, I saw them on Twisted Throttles site yesterday. Loom fwd to pics on the bike. Stay safe, travelling 600 miles round trip next weekend to pick up my wife's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On the Twisted Throttle site and thy have a picture of one on a Multistrada. I really like the way it looks. I think I will give kit a shot.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My take on ride up here to Michigan: as much as I have loved all my other bikes, and believed that each one was the perfect machine (while I was riding it) this indeed is The Perfect Machine. I know every biker has different needs from seat height, foot position, seating, wind tolerance, etc. So this is based solely on MY experience. I am short, with short arms, small hands but a huge desire to be riding the long road. I am very willing to tolerate a moderate amount of discomfort in trade for just being on the road.

That being said - I am as happy as a pig in a mud hole. My bum is quite comfortable even on long hauls, I am not bothered by the wind from the sides, the spoiler helped with wind at my neck area. The foot position is just right. My throttle hand was the only real pain, from the tight spring in the throttle, but a $10 CrampBuster Cruise Assist fixed that problem.

Today we start heading back towards the south. We are only gonna do 300'ish miles a day from this point on so we can enjoy the real vacation part of our vacation, Heading into Ohio then West Virginia.

Bill - hold out you'll get a long trip in for sure.

Cobra - you and the wife ride safe and have fun. Would love to hear how she enjoys the bike.

Effem - hail - that is my one great fear. I will ride through most anything, but I prefer to stay away from flying objects that can do me bodily harm. I gotta hear more about that experience so I can learn from it. Sounds like a cool and beautiful journey,

Will update as time goes on. Happy Trails

·
Registered
975 Posts

BTW Greg, I am pretty sure Bills comment was in jest.
I think so too. My response was meant to be light-hearted as well. I sometimes forget to use the icons to indicate that I'm just going along with the fun.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hail to you -- not!!

My take on ride up here to Michigan: as much as I have loved all my other bikes, and believed that each one was the perfect machine (while I was riding it) this indeed is The Perfect Machine. I know every biker has different needs from seat height, foot position, seating, wind tolerance, etc. So this is based solely on MY experience. I am short, with short arms, small hands but a huge desire to be riding the long road. I am very willing to tolerate a moderate amount of discomfort in trade for just being on the road.

That being said - I am as happy as a pig in a mud hole. My bum is quite comfortable even on long hauls, I am not bothered by the wind from the sides, the spoiler helped with wind at my neck area. The foot position is just right. My throttle hand was the only real pain, from the tight spring in the throttle, but a $10 CrampBuster Cruise Assist fixed that problem.

Today we start heading back towards the south. We are only gonna do 300'ish miles a day from this point on so we can enjoy the real vacation part of our vacation, Heading into Ohio then West Virginia.

Bill - hold out you'll get a long trip in for sure.

Cobra - you and the wife ride safe and have fun. Would love to hear how she enjoys the bike.

Effem - hail - that is my one great fear. I will ride through most anything, but I prefer to stay away from flying objects that can do me bodily harm. I gotta hear more about that experience so I can learn from it. Sounds like a cool and beautiful journey,

Will update as time goes on. Happy Trails
Really enjoying your posts. You all be safe and take it easy. Hail at 45 mph in the mountains was painful. My wife was riding pillion, and she just hunkered down into my back. About 10 minutes of it. Went slow [here in AZ deserts, any hail will disappear in moments from the roadway; like solid rain LOL], and just kept every curve with no lean: straight vertical. Believe it or not, it was fun, in a surreal way...
f

1 - 20 of 22 Posts