CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that my exhaust pipe is starting to discolor in two areas: 1) Between the main exhaust pipe and the exhaust pipe cap and 2) The area near the black metal shield where the muffler starts.

Is discoloration covered in the warranty? I have just over 3K on the bike and it is already turning brown!?!?

I will post pictures soon

·
Registered
842 Posts
The owners manual does state that minor discoloration is to be expected. If you want to try to clean it up, be very careful not to use abrasive cleaners or a "scrubbie" type sponge. Use a good metal cleaner, and a soft cloth.
I've never had a stainless exhaust that didn't get stained in some way. Also, I never let the bike sit and idle, or rev the engine in neutral. I have the same mileage on mine, with only very minor stuff in places you describe.
f

·
Registered
975 Posts
Also, I never let the bike sit and idle, or rev the engine in neutral.
f
I'm in this same non idling camp.

I don't let any vehicles I own idle unnecessarily and don't understand why so many drivers/riders let their vehicles idle. It is a very inefficient way to air condition or heat the cabin of any car; when a vehicle is idling, it's getting zero mpg; it is not recommended by any engine manufacturer that I know in any situation, even for warming up a vehicle (except in the case of large diesel trucks with large turbos for a cooling period after high-speed driving); it is only extra wear and tear on a vehicle because it simply adds to engine run time in the life of an engine with no known benefit, and in some cases, it can cause fuel-system build up or cylinder coking (as in the case of modern diesel engines in cold weather); and I can find very little reason to ever let my vehicles idle except when necessary in traffic or in some service situations.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
It is normal for Stainless Steel to discolor when heated.

Reactions: Daboo

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Reactions: Kirstenparks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts