CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at all my tip over options and costs and am tracking towards the t rex frame sliders. I just wanted to ask has anyone here had any experience of the sliders performance when a faired version bike has tipped over. They protrude 4 inches either side and can't decide if that is enough in the event it went sideways when parked for example

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I have posted all about the sliders.
I put them on my 2015 faired CTX. They were just too close to my shins. So I actually sold them to a fellow member on here and bought the engine guard crash bars from T-Rex with the sliders. These bars are just great.
A month ago my daughter bumped into my Yamaha 920 and knocked it over into my CTX700.
While I stood about 15 feet away and could do nothing. Well the Yamaha hit the slider, and the CTX fell over to the right and landed on the slider on the right side. Not one scratch on my CTX and only a scuff on the Yamaha.
And all I could say to my daughter is "I'm sorry, baby, it's all my fault"
cuz that's what a dad does to keep from letting his little girl see him cry........................
But I really love the guards. And I bought and mounted the rear guards, also. It's a great set up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just so I understand your story correctly the bike tipped over when it had the sliders only on not the bars and there was no damage?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have often ordered parts from USA, but didn't succeed in April to get those T-Rex sliders due to Covid restrictions. I also noticed how critical the location was taking into consideration my long legs. So I bought universal frame sliders from a Latvian maker and gave the fitting work to a small workshop telling fixing points and the location I wanted the sliders. I can't now give pictures because my CTX is now in winter storage. Basically I copied the arrangement from German crash bars.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
no, I had already replaced the sliders with the complete bars and sliders sets, front and rear.
The sliders alone never would have kept the fairing off the floor.
But I must say, both bikes came through just fine.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here a drawing about my universal slider arrangement, if someone is interesting to make something similar. It is not rocket science and the clamp can differ from what I did. As I wrote, the bracket was done in a workshop. I had my garage workshop years ago while I used to build classic cars (two of them were imported from California) and I could have done it myself with Mig and angle grinder.

Dimensions are not correct, the slider is bigger.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700N
31 Posts
I have the T-Rex frame sliders only. I chose these over the bars for aesthetic reasons & I saved a few quid. I was missing a part of my set when it arrived, but since they are local here in DFW, I just went & picked it up without issue. They stick out plenty far on my N model to protect the engine bay. I have no trouble with the shin issues & can't see how that is possible..although.. it could be a faired vs naked thing. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
ok, look at these pictures.
the first is the sliders only

You see it is right underneath the sticker on the frame, right over the foot peg. I am almost 6'3" an a bit more with the boots. Shifting down I would often hit that slider with my shin.

and here are the bars with the sliders. look at how much farther forward the slider is relative to the foot peg and the sticker on the frame

The slider only would almost rub my shin, and when i would stop or move I could bump into it often
Having them mounted on the engine bars puts them about 8 inches farther forward, and that makes all
the difference for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have looked at all my tip over options and costs and am tracking towards the t rex frame sliders. I just wanted to ask has anyone here had any experience of the sliders performance when a faired version bike has tipped over. They protrude 4 inches either side and can't decide if that is enough in the event it went sideways when parked for example
I have them in my ctx700n and I love the look. I haven't dropped it but in sure is going to save me money. I have a video in YouTube under MujerBiker channel.https://youtu.be/e32Y17sZ8iI

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sliders sometimes do more harm than good. I've seen them break off chucks of frame. Our frame is steel so maybe less likely, but they can also dig into the road and cause your bike to flip. For me I'd rather take the bent levers and few scratches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts