CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install the T-Rex engine guards on my naked model. The instructions say, "Tighten the new engine bolts to manufacture’s specification. In general there is about 40-45 ft/lb for 12mm bolt. Please check your manual for exact number." I was unable to find that spec in the online manual. Anyone have an idea what that should be? Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40 Ft. Lb. according to my manual.
Thanks Philip.

New problem:

I am having trouble with the installation.

I have attached three pictures. As per the instructions, I’m on the right hand side and can’t get the holes to align.

I have lined up the engine bolt and foot peg attachments, but then the top hole of the tube bracket does not align. It almost seems like I have to bend the tube going forward from the foot peg, which I cannot do. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong? I called their customer service line in hopes they were still open on a Friday afternoon, but no joy.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Vehicle
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Car White Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just put these on my bike and lets just say they are not mil spec....
Here is what I found works. Attach footpeg bolt first then stretch up onto the engine bolt. Mine needed about 1/8" field modification to get there. Have the engine half of the tube bracket in place and once you get that big engine bolt in should be able to slide that bracket thing in place to line up. Hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just put these on my bike and lets just say they are not mil spec....
Here is what I found works. Attach footpeg bolt first then stretch up onto the engine bolt. Mine needed about 1/8" field modification to get there. Have the engine half of the tube bracket in place and once you get that big engine bolt in should be able to slide that bracket thing in place to line up. Hope it makes sense.
I did attach the foot peg bolt first and then the engine bolt, but I need to get the tube bracket more than 1/8" higher. I think my guards were manufactured on the morning after a long weekend. I don't have a way of opening up that vertex between the foot peg bolt and the engine bolt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh gotcha. I misread the first post. Can the back bracket on the engine bar mount be rotated 180 degrees? If I remember there was a right way and a wrong way that would not work on mine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh gotcha. I misread the first post. Can the back bracket on the engine bar mount be rotated 180 degrees? If I remember there was a right way and a wrong way that would not work on mine.
No, the bracket piece that goes behind the bar has two cutouts. One is narrower than the other to accommodate parts and it will only fit one way.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine didn’t fit exactly either. I enlarged the holes at the foot-peg a bit. Also, start all the bolts a few threads before tightening. IE: Don’t tighten any until all are started. I also used a 2” X 4” and a crow-bar as a lever to “coax” the bars a little.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine didn’t fit exactly either. I enlarged the holes at the foot-peg a bit. Also, start all the bolts a few threads before tightening. IE: Don’t tighten any until all are started. I also used a 2” X 4” and a crow-bar as a lever to “coax” the bars a little.
Thanks again. This is really disappointing. I don't want to MacGyver it at all. Honda has been making this model for years now, and you would think that T-Rex would have their product dialed in to the millimeter. I have sent these pics to T-Rex and hope to hear back from them soon. I am going to stop trying to put the guards on my bike and try to dry-fit it on my wife's bike when I do the oil change later today just to see what happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts