CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed the t-rex crash bars onto my '14 ctx 700n several months ago, thinking that they might lessen any tip over damage. unfortunately they don't. my bike fell over in the driveway this morning, onto the right side, and the t-rex bars didn't even come close to the ground. however, the madstad windshield, clamp on wind shield extension, front brake lever, muffler, muffler shield, and the front foot peg sure did. glad i wasn't actually moving when this happened! perhaps the $200 these bars cost might have been spent on other more useful things for the bike. since the bars are rather ugly anyway, they are coming off today. your mileage may vary.....

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX 700n
41 Posts
indeed... when i low sided mine in our condo driveway back in may, the footpeg, blinker, and puig windshield were done for. the lever, muffler and shield, mirror, and a tiny bit of the front fender and headlight cowl did touch and scrape. same side.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
indeed... when i low sided mine in our condo driveway back in may, the footpeg, blinker, and puig windshield were done for. the lever, muffler and shield, mirror, and a tiny bit of the front fender and headlight cowl did touch and scrape. same side.
i called t-rex this morning and told them of my experience. the guy i spoke with told me that the bars are designed to protect "the side thing" (his words) and NOT anything else. he said"the muffler and the handle bars would not be protected". yeah, i know that NOW. i hope other ctx700 riders think twice before spending $200 on these useless accessories.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Unless the entire bike is protected by a huge roll cage this can happen. No one makes handlebar and windshield roll cages because no one will buy them. The motor and frame are the most expensive parts and that is why the cages are made to protect them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the entire bike is protected by a huge roll cage this can happen. No one makes handlebar and windshield roll cages because no one will buy them. The motor and frame are the most expensive parts and that is why the cages are made to protect them.
agreed. however, the crash bars on my gl1800's and my yamaha virago allowed no damage at all to the bike when they fell over in exactly the same way. except for the scratches on the crash bars.
yeah, stuff happens. i guess it could have been worse.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The R Gaza crash bars combined with a set of hard saddle bags look to offer the best protection I have seen offered that fit the faring model. See Curler’s pic’s post #27 of the link. I have the Fehling bars with Givi E 22N bags for protection on my N model. What’s nice about the Givi bags is it looks like you can get spare parts to repair one bag. Stop video at 30 and 33 second marks to see how much protection the bars and bags provide.
R-Gaza Russian engine guards
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-NVnKNTiTE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i installed the t-rex crash bars onto my '14 ctx 700n several months ago, thinking that they might lessen any tip over damage. unfortunately they don't. my bike fell over in the driveway this morning, onto the right side, and the t-rex bars didn't even come close to the ground. however, the madstad windshield, clamp on wind shield extension, front brake lever, muffler, muffler shield, and the front foot peg sure did. glad i wasn't actually moving when this happened! perhaps the $200 these bars cost might have been spent on other more useful things for the bike. since the bars are rather ugly anyway, they are coming off today. your mileage may vary.....
Hey, just reporting that I’ve got the T-Rex. My bike was pushed over in a parking spot and didn’t have a scratch. It also fell over at a traffic stop with the NYPD and…the T-Rex prevented all damage. This kind of fall over may not be what you’re writing about but wanted to say that I’ve had a great experience with T-Rex.

·
Registered
2015 Blue Grey CTX700 DCT ABS
22 Posts
Hey, just reporting that I’ve got the T-Rex. My bike was pushed over in a parking spot and didn’t have a scratch. It also fell over at a traffic stop with the NYPD and…the T-Rex prevented all damage. This kind of fall over may not be what you’re writing about but wanted to say that I’ve had a great experience with T-Rex.
Do you have an N or D model?

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Are you referring to their "crash" bars(engine guards) or their luggage guards, which were designed to fit well with Honda side cases? Or both?
The T-Rex luggage guards do offer good protection to the bike, as a whole, in a "tip over" or slow speed fall. TY;)

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I look at crash bars as items whose value comes into play in a crash.
The size of the guards, especially the rear guards, are designed to keep the bike off the rider in the event of you going down while moving. There are sliders on the bars, and from this picture you can see that they would afford protection to my wife if we go down. The most common injury to a passenger is foot damage. Many have their foot ground off and amputated by a sliding accident. The front crash bars are designed to .
limit the damage to the engine in the event of an accident. And truthfully, they should be replaced after an accident. Just as you would replace your helmet after one crash. It did its job. It limited damage to the rider and passenger. That is all I really want. Let me wife walk away, and it is 200 bucks well spent. Remember, I wrecked one CTX700 and totaled it. I had oem bags and several other accessories.
I replaced the bike and all the accessories, and added the T-Rex bars. I expect the extreme damage I suffered to my ankle and knee would be greatly reduced if I had these bars when I went down in 2017.
That is how I view these crash bars.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
377 Posts
I found that the only thing that prevents side damage are my 36 SHAD cases. They have a few scratches on them but the bike fenders stayed clean.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts