Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 CTX700 DCT to 2021 NC750x DCT

crude measurements:
670 cc engine vs 745 cc. + 11%
Redline 6000 vs 7000 rpm +16%
Gearing 1-3 are lower, 4-6 are higher on NC
Seat height raised one inch, heels down very easy vs heels just off the ground

perceptions:
Steering: Tapered handlebars seem to have a better feel vs NC straight 7/8ths.
Acceleration: More than the percentage differences. I would say 0-60 on
the CTX is 0-75 on the NC.
DCT: Evolving, smoother. Have to back off throttle for 'mode' changes on NC.
Modes: Four modes with manual override, Power, Engine Braking, Traction control.
Created a User mode ... 3/3 Power, 2/3 Engine braking, 2/3 Traction
Use Rain mode for dirt and gravel. Sport mode with manual for twisties.

I do enjoy the differences and can afford it. Happy with your CTX? Then keep it!
The NC is quicker/better for passing but you can downshift two gears on the CTX.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the post. Interesting to see the similarities vs differences. My dream bike would actually be in the opposite direction. DCT on a smaller, lighter 350-500 cc weekend/backroad kind of machine. The CTX gives me a liittle more than I really need for my casual riding. Of course, I grew up when a 3 cylinder 500cc Kawasaki was king of the road!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Interesting write-up! Thank you for posting it. I confess I've wondered how these 2 machines would compare.

So, the 750 with newer-gen DCT is overall more sophisticated?

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
I've been watching the NCs with the idea of something like that being my bike after the CTX (not that I want that to happen anytime soon); it seems like a good next step bike, depending on how comfortable it is for all-day riding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wheels: do you do much touring? The NC750 is a great bike but one thing you may find problematic or downright agravating will deal with added baggage and access to the gas tank under the pillion. How have you found things?
If you go onto the NC700 forum, you will find as many aftermarket setup for added baggage as you do for the ctx. Many companies make side brackets for the NC700 and luggage to go along with the side brackets. The tank under the pillion seat is a little aggravating sometimes if you want to throw luggage on top of the pillion seat but easy setups on that can be a easy disconnect a couple of straps, remove, fill gas, put luggage back on and connect the straps...On my Nc700x, I put brackets on for the top case, and mounted a thick cutting board instead of the top case, and strap my camping supplies on top of the board...doesnt interfere with raising the pillion seat.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

·
Registered
131 Posts
This CTX with DCT is #32 in the bikes I've owned over 50+ years of riding; first one with Dual Clutch Transmission... I can't imagine ever owning another manual transmission bike. This DCT equipped bike is great! I considered a Rebel 1100 and an NC750X, both with DCT... the CTX is the "Goldilocks" fit for me between those other two bikes. The Rebel felt like the pegs were too high, the NC was too tall for my 30" inseam and titanium hip... the CTX is just right. I wish Honda still made them - I would have bought new. This one was pristine, with less than 2,000 miles on it, nicely equipped. And, did I mention: the DCT is really smart technology!

·
Registered
56 Posts
2012 CTX700 DCT to 2021 NC750x DCT

crude measurements:
670 cc engine vs 745 cc. + 11%
Redline 6000 vs 7000 rpm +16%
Gearing 1-3 are lower, 4-6 are higher on NC
Seat height raised one inch, heels down very easy vs heels just off the ground

perceptions:
Steering: Tapered handlebars seem to have a better feel vs NC straight 7/8ths.
Acceleration: More than the percentage differences. I would say 0-60 on
the CTX is 0-75 on the NC.
DCT: Evolving, smoother. Have to back off throttle for 'mode' changes on NC.
Modes: Four modes with manual override, Power, Engine Braking, Traction control.
Created a User mode ... 3/3 Power, 2/3 Engine braking, 2/3 Traction
Use Rain mode for dirt and gravel. Sport mode with manual for twisties.

I do enjoy the differences and can afford it. Happy with your CTX? Then keep it!
The NC is quicker/better for passing but you can downshift two gears on the CTX.
Considering the change... But why. Passenger comfort on the ctx !
I don't care for S mode --delays up and down shifting. Ok if racing but i am not on this cruiser. All other modes- sales gimick.,!
Feet position on the NC s most important. Hi seat, lower pegs.
NC Price at 10k usd vs. $12k on a bmw f750gs. - how to compare unless you must have dct.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you go onto the NC700 forum, you will find as many aftermarket setup for added baggage as you do for the ctx. Many companies make side brackets for the NC700 and luggage to go along with the side brackets. The tank under the pillion seat is a little aggravating sometimes if you want to throw luggage on top of the pillion seat but easy setups on that can be a easy disconnect a couple of straps, remove, fill gas, put luggage back on and connect the straps...On my Nc700x, I put brackets on for the top case, and mounted a thick cutting board instead of the top case, and strap my camping supplies on top of the board...doesnt interfere with raising the pillion seat.

View attachment 89083
Not to mention the passenger,!
Hello Honda. Bmw has the side has port

·
Registered
29 Posts
I own a non dct CTX and a DCT NC700. I should have spent more for a DCT on the CTX. Automatic is the way to go in an urban environment. Bikes are expensive these days and even the non wanted DCT is increasing in price. Love both bikes. Next bike will probably be a NC750 DCT. Love the Frunk. I came from the scooter world, miss the built in storage. What can I say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This CTX with DCT is #32 in the bikes I've owned over 50+ years of riding; first one with Dual Clutch Transmission... I can't imagine ever owning another manual transmission bike. This DCT equipped bike is great! I considered a Rebel 1100 and an NC750X, both with DCT... the CTX is the "Goldilocks" fit for me between those other two bikes. The Rebel felt like the pegs were too high, the NC was too tall for my 30" inseam and titanium hip... the CTX is just right. I wish Honda still made them - I would have bought new. This one was pristine, with less than 2,000 miles on it, nicely equipped. And, did I mention: the DCT is really smart technology!
32 bikes, that is a lot. I am on number 19 and my 8th Honda, also have a Victory Cross Country and Kingpin in the stable. I will probably sell the Kingpin this winter. That Nc750x should do well, I see lots of adventure bikes here in SW Ohio, but they are not practical for me, as way to cramped for my older frame. I wish Honda would reinstate the CTX line with the new 750 motor or the motor that will go into their new to come Transalp, or even better maybe the 1100 dct Rebel Motor. I would too by brand new, something I have not done since my 1300 VTX in 2006. There is a market for it do to a lot of older riders that are weaker ( I am not ) and would enjoy a comfortable a light highly comfortable motorcycle with great touring characteristics and added benefit of an optional dct transmission.

·
Registered
131 Posts
32 bikes, that is a lot. I am on number 19 and my 8th Honda, also have a Victory Cross Country and Kingpin in the stable. I will probably sell the Kingpin this winter. That Nc750x should do well, I see lots of adventure bikes here in SW Ohio, but they are not practical for me, as way to cramped for my older frame. I wish Honda would reinstate the CTX line with the new 750 motor or the motor that will go into their new to come Transalp, or even better maybe the 1100 dct Rebel Motor. I would too by brand new, something I have not done since my 1300 VTX in 2006. There is a market for it do to a lot of older riders that are weaker ( I am not ) and would enjoy a comfortable a light highly comfortable motorcycle with great touring characteristics and added benefit of an optional dct transmission.
Well, I am well into the Geezer category - this is my 55th year of riding. Most of my bikes hung around two years at most, so it isn't like I have a bunch. Right now, it is one each for my wife and me. My previous bike was a 2020 Vespa GTS 300 HPE that I kept for 18 months. Yeah, until I got the CTX. Scooters got me through a time with a deteriorating hip, then a titanium replacement. Part of why I like the low seat height on the CTX.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I am well into the Geezer category - this is my 55th year of riding. Most of my bikes hung around two years at most, so it isn't like I have a bunch. Right now, it is one each for my wife and me. My previous bike was a 2020 Vespa GTS 300 HPE that I kept for 18 months. Yeah, until I got the CTX. Scooters got me through a time with a deteriorating hip, then a titanium replacement. Part of why I like the low seat height on the CTX.
Are you able to do core exercises? I have spinal stenosis and finally saw an orthopedic doctor in March of 2021 that diagnosed my sciatic hip, buttocks, and down the leg pain that was holding me back, and frankly made me miserable as I have always been athletic. He sent me to therapy and they put me on core stretching and strengthening exercises that have made a vast, but not complete, improvement in this area. I am 66, not sure if that makes me a geezer, but I tell folks I am. I have a buddy over in SE Ohio that just got a new hip at 45 years of age, and wishes he had done it sooner. It is certainly good that there are bikes out there that allow us to keep riding, and in my opinion this CTX is fantastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts