Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 CTX700 DCT to 2021 NC750x DCT

crude measurements:
670 cc engine vs 745 cc. + 11%
Redline 6000 vs 7000 rpm +16%
Gearing 1-3 are lower, 4-6 are higher on NC
Seat height raised one inch, heels down very easy vs heels just off the ground

perceptions:
Steering: Tapered handlebars seem to have a better feel vs NC straight 7/8ths.
Acceleration: More than the percentage differences. I would say 0-60 on
the CTX is 0-75 on the NC.
DCT: Evolving, smoother. Have to back off throttle for 'mode' changes on NC.
Modes: Four modes with manual override, Power, Engine Braking, Traction control.
Created a User mode ... 3/3 Power, 2/3 Engine braking, 2/3 Traction
Use Rain mode for dirt and gravel. Sport mode with manual for twisties.

I do enjoy the differences and can afford it. Happy with your CTX? Then keep it!
The NC is quicker/better for passing but you can downshift two gears on the CTX.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the post. Interesting to see the similarities vs differences. My dream bike would actually be in the opposite direction. DCT on a smaller, lighter 350-500 cc weekend/backroad kind of machine. The CTX gives me a liittle more than I really need for my casual riding. Of course, I grew up when a 3 cylinder 500cc Kawasaki was king of the road!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Wheels: do you do much touring? The NC750 is a great bike but one thing you may find problematic or downright agravating will deal with added baggage and access to the gas tank under the pillion. How have you found things?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Interesting write-up! Thank you for posting it. I confess I've wondered how these 2 machines would compare.

So, the 750 with newer-gen DCT is overall more sophisticated?

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
552 Posts
I've been watching the NCs with the idea of something like that being my bike after the CTX (not that I want that to happen anytime soon); it seems like a good next step bike, depending on how comfortable it is for all-day riding.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wheels: do you do much touring? The NC750 is a great bike but one thing you may find problematic or downright agravating will deal with added baggage and access to the gas tank under the pillion. How have you found things?
If you go onto the NC700 forum, you will find as many aftermarket setup for added baggage as you do for the ctx. Many companies make side brackets for the NC700 and luggage to go along with the side brackets. The tank under the pillion seat is a little aggravating sometimes if you want to throw luggage on top of the pillion seat but easy setups on that can be a easy disconnect a couple of straps, remove, fill gas, put luggage back on and connect the straps...On my Nc700x, I put brackets on for the top case, and mounted a thick cutting board instead of the top case, and strap my camping supplies on top of the board...doesnt interfere with raising the pillion seat.

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts