CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to troubleshoot my click problem and seen that my chain was misaligned a little bit so I took off rear axle nut and went ahead and aligned the tire and chain the best I could while achieving optimal tension
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Musical instrument Engineering Gas
definitely not perfect but it’s the best I could do.
So now I noticed that these markings below were not equal to each other.
Wheel Crankset Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Bicycle part Gear Rim Automotive tire Engineering

What’s the deal? Do I need to have them aligned the same way? If I keep twisting the right side, the chain alignment will be thrown off

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Disclaimer: My first chain drive in many years, not an expert. Observations; top photo does show chain straight w/alignment tool, & sprocket teeth appear to be centered in the chain, although the chain itself appears to curve beyond the tool.
Lower 2 photos show the swingarm marks uneven by quite a bit, as well as the adjusting & locking nuts way off in side to side comparison.
I have the Motion Pro tool and last adjustment, had a somewhat similar experience. Wound up "splitting the difference", having the marks somewhat close side to side, while my chain is not perfectly centered on sprocket. (not enough miles yet to wear either out). Perhaps front & rear sprockets not in alignment w/eachother?
Do not have an answer, rear wheel axle should be free to move, as adjustment takes place. Curious. Also, right & left spacers may be reversed:unsure:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
although the chain itself appears to curve beyond the tool.
Lower 2 photos show the swingarm marks uneven by quite a bit, as well as the adjusting & locking nuts way off in side to side comparison.

Do not have an answer, rear wheel axle should be free to move, as adjustment takes place. Curious. Also, right & left spacers may be reversed:unsure:
How can I fix that curve? Also, how “even” and how “close” or “far” do I need to adjust those swingarm marks? Sorry I’m probably asking some really basic stuff, I will try to refer to the manual if I can find it somewhere. I left my moto like this for now but haven’t rode it.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Check "Rear Tire Change - and WHY You Should Pay Attention", post 6 about left & right axle "spacers" or "collars", being switched, also owners manual page 110.
Being the second owner, (low miles), there is no obvious damage to my swingarm, frame, forks etc, so I kept those marks within 1/32" or so, the same. I've removed & installed the wheel once, myself. (love my centerstand;)) Even w/low miles, I've noticed a little bit of "kinking" in a couple of chain links.
Personally, I'd prefer to have those marks much closer to similar, each side, before riding. First, I would check for proper assembly or damage from any type of fall.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Check "Rear Tire Change - and WHY You Should Pay Attention", post 6 about left & right axle "spacers" or "collars", being switched, also owners manual page 110.
Being the second owner, (low miles), there is no obvious damage to my swingarm, frame, forks etc, so I kept those marks within 1/32" or so, the same. I've removed & installed the wheel once, myself. (love my centerstand;)) Even w/low miles, I've noticed a little bit of "kinking" in a couple of chain links.
Personally, I'd prefer to have those marks much closer to similar, each side, before riding. First, I would check for proper assembly or damage from any type of fall.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Waaaaaay too much difference between the right and left adjusters. Also, they look distorted, like they have been overtightened or something. They should have about the same amount of exposed thread.

NOTE: Even a quarter turn of the adjuster makes a significant difference.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wanted to troubleshoot my click problem and seen that my chain was misaligned a little bit so I took off rear axle nut and went ahead and aligned the tire and chain the best I could while achieving optimal tension View attachment 88747 definitely not perfect but it’s the best I could do.
So now I noticed that these markings below were not equal to each other.
View attachment 88748 View attachment 88749
What’s the deal? Do I need to have them aligned the same way? If I keep twisting the right side, the chain alignment will be thrown off
You need to keep the teeth in the center of the chain of the chain.Make sure it is still in the center of the chain after you torque the axle nut.I found that could make a differance.jasperj

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Did you change the chain? If so, was it clicking before? Something appears to be off, such as spacers (maybe a wrong spacer or backwards?). If no damage and no bent rear end, suggest pulling wheel, full inspection, check spacers and everything including chain guard alignment, sprockets... reassemble according to manual.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you change the chain? If so, was it clicking before? Something appears to be off, such as spacers (maybe a wrong spacer or backwards?). If no damage and no bent rear end, suggest pulling wheel, full inspection, check spacers and everything including chain guard alignment, sprockets... reassemble according to manual.
No i didn’t change the chain and you know what, I’m not even sure if it’s done that clicking before.. I just happened to notice it one day after changing the brakes. Anyway, I deep cleaned the chain, the sprocket and the greased axel components. I also aligned the swing arm marks properly this time after 20 minutes of trial and error. It was definitely a learning process and I finally got the darn thing assembled correctly. I’ll see if I can post a pic sometime on here.

I torqued the rear axel nut back and no more clicking… I wonder what magically fixed it. I think it was just super gunked up. Who knows.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I had a misjudgment and I noticed this whenever I was riding with no hands. My bike was slightly serving to the left at a straight line at 30mph.
But I don’t understand, the, the swing arm markings are absolutely close and the chain has been aligned. I really wish I had a picture of the chain alignment with my motion pro tool but I don’t have much time as I have to go to work. Putting it on a stand and taking off guard will take time.

BUT/AND, the adjustment threads on the swingarm DONT match but I still get a near perfect alignment on the chain and swing arm markings? What gives man. I spent like 2 days trying to fine tune it the best I can. I even used the screw driver towel in sprocket method and still to no avail.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Crankset Light
Tire Crankset Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

should I ignore the swingarm markings and just match the adjustment threads? But even I adjust the right side threading, the motion pro tool will be off again, along with now a misaligned chain but matching threads.

Key problems I’m facing: bike swerving slightly to left.

I will do my best to get a pic of my chainalignment with the motion pro tool after work

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your chain adjusters may be off and skewing the tire regardless of the chain alignment tool. One side turned more than the other.
I can see where that makes sense, but even then, it’ll skew off the motion pro tool, pointing itself to the right side when adjusting the right adjuster to make it even with the left one. Should I continue to even them out? Could it be I have a faulty motion pro tool?

·
Registered
54 Posts
When adjusting a chain the most important point is the sprockets/chain need to be aligned properly. The index marks on the swing arm are only reference points not absolute ( they can be off ). The threads on the adjusting bolts may or may not be the same due to wear or damage. If the sprockets/chain are aligned don't worry about the others.
Riding without hands will not tell you if the bike is out of alignment, there are too many variables involved. If you can find a smooth, undisturbed patch of sand/dirt and ride straight over it, then look to see if tracks you made line up. This is crude but a starting point. Here is a link to an alignment video
youtube.com/watch?v=uDmn-zngFRY
you can search for others.
Hope you are able to get it set to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
60 Posts
Just an observation - when I enlarge your pic of the chain side, I see what looks to be metal shavings on the swing arm and the driven flange seems to have some wear. Is the flange rubbing on the inside of the swing arm? If so, that may indicate that something is wrong with the rear wheel assembly (side collar?, bearing?).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an observation - when I enlarge your pic of the chain side, I see what looks to be metal shavings on the swing arm and the driven flange seems to have some wear. Is the flange rubbing on the inside of the swing arm? If so, that may indicate that something is wrong with the rear wheel assembly (side collar?, bearing?).
The metal shavings come from the swing arm stand- the arm of the stand was shaving agaisnt the sprocket nut (the wheel wouldn’t spin and I was freaking out why until I realized the arm was in the way of the sprocket nut). And I’m sorry I’m not sure what the driven flange is..

I mean the bike feels great to ride it’s just that slight movement to the left problem. I’m thinking if I adjust the right side of the swing arm adjuster and take it out for a ride, the problem would potentially be fixed, but then the chain would be misaligned. I don’t know. It could be an underlying cause that is driving me crazy. I recently took it to the Honda power sports and they never told me anything about anything wrong.. sometimes I don’t fully trust mechanics if they are lazy or always overlook a problem and shrug it off, taking advantage of my misinformation.

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
60 Posts
And I’m sorry I’m not sure what the driven flange is..
I pulled the term "driven flange" out of the service manual. It is an odd term for Honda to use to label the part. It's the part the sprocket is attached to. See attached pic.

Organism Font Motor vehicle Automotive tire Circle

I don't have much confidence in using the markings on the adjusting plates when aligning the axle. They are good to see how much stretch and life you have remaining in your chain, but they have too much play and not as precise a marking as they should be (in my opinion). I adjust my chain and align the axle using a Motion Pro tool as a guide, but I also measure from the center of the axle to the end of the swing arm on each side with a caliper. If the guide looks good and the measurements on each side match, then I feel comfortable of the alignment.

As a last resort, I suggest taking the wheel off and examine all the parts (chain, sprockets, collars, bearings, adjusters, rubber dampeners, etc.).

·
Registered
2015 ctx700 with fairing
30 Posts
What i am going to describe is my experience with an early 80's naked Goldwing that was "swerving slightly to left".
This is meant to give an example of a cause for the "swerving".

The swing arm on my Goldwing was not centered. There are nuts on each side of the pivot point which are used to center the swing arm in the frame. After adjusting it was just fine.

I am writing this only to give an example of how an out of alignment problem between the front wheel and rear wheel does cause the 'swerving".

Always a good idea to make sure any and all parts are in the correct place. I haven't had my rear wheel off the bike yet and can not testify as to whether it could be put back with swapped spacers, etc. Someone here will know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts