CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have got several miles on your bikes now...We are taking our first trip with the CTX and we will be at Interstate speed for about 3-31/2 hours...I'm wondering how the bike handles this as well as how the rider fairs....We have 840 miles on a white 6spd with std short windshield....Also am wondering about how far you go before you need to fuel?This is my wifes ride and I can't help answer her questions because I just don't know anything about how this bike rides on long trips,I ride a 08 wing so thats about as far away from her bike as you can get....Thanks in advance for any info reguarding our first trip of about 450 miles....

·
Registered
329 Posts
My CTX700ND averages 50mpg aggressive freeway commuting in Sport mode, 55-60mpg regular highway speeds in Drive mode, and 65-75mpg putting along around 55mph mountain highways. I anticipate 55-60mpg hammering south on I-5 to LA, passing big rigs and minivans. Speeds between 65-85mph, averaging 70-75mph.

I can go 150+ miles per tank in town in S mode with max acceleration, morning commuting in Sacramento. I once saw 220 miles out of one tank putting around the sierras, before filling up out of sheer fear I'd run dry. I still had gas visible in my tank.

I am 6'1", 260lbs, national cycle street shield, no saddlebags.

I would fill up every hour and a half to two hours on road, or 150 miles... Which ever comes first.

My CTX rides smooth, handles bumps better than my previous 900 pound Honda VTX 1800 beast, and accelerates well up to 95mph. D mode is a must cruising above 55mph. Wind buffeting on N model is rough like any naked standard. My street shield works perfect for me

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sustained hwy speed

Good info Ralph Thanks....We'll see how she does this weekend....Merry Christmas to U.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had 200 miles on mine when I did a 7hour ride home, avg 63 mpg at highway speeds. Since then the last fuel bar turns red about 155 miles. I have the dcs/abs model.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went130 miles i still have 2 clicks of gas. Looked like it was starting to flash wheb i got home. I rode with a buddy who used to race. I was following him on his bonnieville se.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
interstate speed

got back today after a 900 mile trip...The CTX doesn't seem to care about how fast it goes as we did 73 mph(AVG) for about 3 hours and fuel usage was excellent...Wind control needs some work as she didn't like the tall shield so I put the shorty back on and she did the trip with it,side wind buffeted her around some but not terrible...Will probable go for a aftermarket screen thats wider at the bottom...Didn't check the actual mileage but for the speed we ran its was very good and one tank we ran up to 168 miles and still had a solid bar and the red one left....Very happy with the machine,especially for it size...Thanks to all for your replies.... Sorry I forgot to tell you the trip was to the Keys(Key West) from North Of Tampa.... and return....

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I ride any distance, I take a break about every hour of riding. The CTX seems to be fairly comfortable to ride. Mine is the N model without a windshield , so the wind turbulence gets rough at high speeds (70+).

I generally fuel up around the 140 to 150 mile on the odometer. My CTX has averaged 50 to 53 MPG never getting close to the 60+ MPG others have posted. I wished mine got that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice job Garry. I am in Jacksonville.
Where did the 900 miles take you? Was it all interstate?

I took my 700n on interstate for the first time today. It was a blast, except the wind. Went over several bridges as we'll.

Since mine is the naked model. I do need a wind screen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice job Garry. I am in Jacksonville.
Where did the 900 miles take you? Was it all interstate?

I took my 700n on interstate for the first time today. It was a blast, except the wind. Went over several bridges as we'll.

Since mine is the naked model. I do need a wind screen.

Dsal9652
I am in Jacksonville too and would like to talk to you about your bike. There is a New Year's Day ride at the American Legion Post 283 (in Arlington) on the 1st @ 11 AM. It's sponsored by BikesandRides.com and several local merchants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ctx700DCT
Now have about 2500 miles under the wheels. Getting 61 to 65 mpg. I did two 500 mile days and it was really comfy. It is actually more comfortable on a long ride than my GoldWing! Go figure, but the seat is more comfortable and I can stretch my legs out, resting the back of my booted ankle over the foot peg. At 60-75 mph the wind blows up around the rear sides of the gas tank. Haven't figured a fix for that yet. I do have the tall OEM windscreen and that works well.
Santa brought me an HID headlight, looks like it will be plugNplay install, and a Backoff LED license plate frame. That one looks like it will be a chore to wire up. I read others posts and seems as tho will need to remove rear side panels to get the rear center panel off because two of four center panel bolts are hidden behind the side panels. With Honda, it's always an hour or more just get panels off to gain access even for a simple little wiring job.
No complaints with the bike, it's a joy to ride in town with no pesky clutch lever to aggravate my arthritis !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interstate speed

Hey F6driver the wiring you need to get to for your back off light runs up along the left side of the bike(Setting on it)so you only need to remove the left side panel and you'll see the harness...I put a whelan flashing brake lite on hers and thats where i found the harness...color codes for the wires are:grn=ground,Lite Blue= Right turn,Orange=Left turn,Pink/Blue=Tail lites,Green/Yellow=Brake

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The left rear panel is actually quite easy to take off. Just be careful. You have to remove the pop up fasteners that connect the panel to the fender assembly first and then pull from the bottom with a steady motion to release from the rubber prong type fasteners. Don't yank on the panel. There are two plastic hook fasteners at the very back that hold the brake light assembly top and panel together. You must slide the panel about 1/4" to release these. They are fragile and will break. If you have the fairing model, you will have to remove the rear handles and any other accessories installed such as the rear rack, back rest and carrier before removing the panel. The CTX requires a metric Hex set with .5 sizes. If you don't have one yet, get one before attempting any work on the bike. You run the risk of stripping the bolts. Cost is about 20.00 at any Home Depot or Lowes.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Most of my highway miles (which is mostly what I do, since my rural location gets me no where without getting on to a 4-lane to get anywhere) is a tad slower and I'm nearing 2500 miles on the O.D. I generally commute to work at speeds from 55-65 depending on which highway I'm on during the route; or I'll run errands into a larger town, which is all 4-lane, and the speed limits range between 55-65. I'll run about the speed limit in the 65 zones and around 60 in the 55 mph zones.

During the summer, I was rocking with the mpg, averaging around 77 with a couple of tanks at or over 80 that included some short road trips; using pure gasoline, which I estimate increases the mpg by around 2-2.5. I had the stock windshield with the fairing version and the manual transmission. the noise with the stock windshield was annoying a caused some fatigue. A little bit of push on my upper shoulders and necks as well. During this time, I added a 42-liter top box that seemed to have no affect on mpg or performance. I think my worst tank was around 76 mpg until some time in November.

After cold weather hit, I got one last tank before adding a tall, Madstad, 12" screen. It was 74 mpg (a full 2 mpg lower than any reading before that; not unexpected considering my previous experiences with cold temps on mpg). On the next tank, I had added the tall screen, and it had likewise remained cold out. That first tank with the new screen and cold weather dropped me to 69. Since that time, I've not seen 70 mpg except for one tank that included a short road trip and I got 70.8.

My last tank reached an all-time low, and I'm not sure how low it will get, because it just seems to continue to drop. The bike returned 66.1 riding pretty much the same routes and speeds and gas and top-up level, but included a couple of morning commutes from 17-20 degrees, and yes I've kept good psi in the tires. I've seen cold weather and windshields affect mpg in other rides. Maybe 4 percent for the cold and 3-4 percent for the windshield, but this is ridiculous. Eleven mpg loss and nearly 17%. I'm just wandering how low it can go. In the summer, I was getting 6.5 better than my previous scooter. Now I'm getting about 1.5 less than the scooter got in the winter; adding a tall screen to both. Go figure!

I've got 40 weight crankcase oil in the bike and am using regular chain lube. I'm not idling to warm up. Just starting off easy. The oil and the lube are the only things that I can think of that may be varying mpg far, far worse than any ride or cage I've owned previous from summer to winter. I may try a lighter-weight lube and 30 weight oil but can think of nothing else that may be dropping mpg so much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interstate speed

Greg I'm thinking 40 wt oil may be a tad heavy even in warm weather...I use 10/40 Amsoil in both the CTX and the Wing,when we get cooled off here the wing looses a point or two but it has to be fairly cool as in low 40's....I'm in SpringHill,Fl.North of tampa...Was very impressed with the CTX for how it handles all types of speed and riding in general,a very well engineered machine....Its not impossible for you to loose a sensor this early so u want to keep an eye on it...Thanks for your info....

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The EPA requires gasoline producers to blend fuels to meet certain requirements through out the year based on the seasons. This could be a huge factor on MPG. Also, pure gasoline is really not pure gasoline. Ethanol has been creeping its way into every drop of fuel sold on the market even when claimed not. Mixed fuels are notorious for fouling up or leaving carbon deposits in ports, egr valves, etc. Also, your onboard computer that controls the fuel injection system is still learning. This could have a huge effect on how it deals with climate changes such as cold weather. 10w-40. oil can effect MPG any time during the year, especially without a warm up period. 10-40wt is only recommended in the southern states due to high heat extremes. Dealerships love to sell the stuff because its cheaper wholesale than 10w-30 and their profit margin is greater. I would pull your plugs and check for fouling. That should give a first indication something is going wrong, Change to 5w-30 during cold winter months or even lower if your avg. temps are in the 10's - 20's.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I am running 15-40 Synthetic and 15-40wt non-synthetic in another bike. I don't ride under 34 degrees. Afternoons often get to 60 lately so I think that is about right for me. So my 15-40 is actually 15wt when cold (thinner = easier to start) and it will be ok at 40wt when warmed. I think 5 or 10-30wt would be my choice if it was 20-45 degrees.

If mostly short trips and engine does not warm up much then lighter oil would be best. Mileage will suffer if oil is too thick (high weight). My high performance car uses 5-20wt year round. 6500red line with supercharger. No thick oil here and crappy gas mileage all the time.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Honda's posted EPA MPG is 63 for the naked model and 60 for the DCT. Your still above their rated MPG by a pretty fair amount, especially considering a combined city/hwy driving rate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts