CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
18 Posts
I installed some LED spot lights in the front of my CTX700DCT. They can be seen in the photo below. View attachment 86368 I attached them to the brackets that originally held the front reflectors at the front wheel. I was always concerned that vibration and bad roads would cause too much stress on those supports, but they seemed strong enough.

Today, after a day ride, I discovered that the left bracket had sheared from the punishment, and dragged the LED can who knows how far... now it's a wreck. So I disconnected it, and will remove the other can this weekend.

So, I want a better location for the cans (if I replace the damaged one). With the faired bike, I want the cans to be above the shocks somewhere, but I'm not sure where. And I don't have an engine guard to attach them to. Any ideas?
I don't have a good close up shot, but, I installed my Denali auxiliary lights on to the forks. See attached. S

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I want to add some lights like this but would like to use a relay and have them come on with the headlights automatically. Did anyone wire them this way? What wire and where did you pull the signal for the headlight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put mine down on the fork, and I'm definitely not worried about losing it. I used this mount:
Nilight 90023B 2-Pack (Standard) Mounting Bracket Kit LED Off-Road Light Vertical Bar Tube Clamp Roof Roll Cage Holder,2 Years Warranty: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07D9HFFQ6/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_FRP6EbNGQ2SNM

You can see that I had to notch the edge of the fender slightly, but it's not something you'd notice, even if I took off the light and bracket. As for the wiring, for $10 I got wiring system that includes a manual switch. I mounted it where the "speaker" goes in the fairing, under my 12V sockets.
MICTUNING MIC-B1002 LED Light Bar Wiring Harness, Fuse 40A Relay On-off Waterproof Switch
by MICTUNING® Direct:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I put my lights onto the 2 plastic pieces on the front of the bike that have the Honda sticker on them. They come apart so I fabricated a couple of triagular mounts that fit and mounted them. The wires are all tucked in to the plastics. Only about 1 inch of wire is showing. I also stuck fuses in each side and wired them into my front signal lights. They now work like some of the newer cars. When a signal light is turned on the corresponding accessory light goes off. This makes the front signal more visible to the opposing driver.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here is the install choice I made: Attaching the pots to the fender upper screws with spacers to clear the fender. I think I like this better than the reflector mounting point, and they are nice and secure without vibration or bouncing. Thanks for all the suggestions!
20200626_spots1.jpg 20200626_spots2.jpg

·
Registered
701 Posts
I installed some LED spot lights in the front of my CTX700DCT. They can be seen in the photo below. I attached them to the brackets that originally held the front reflectors at the front wheel. I was always concerned that vibration and bad roads would cause too much stress on those supports, but they seemed strong enough.

Today, after a day ride, I discovered that the left bracket had sheared from the punishment, and dragged the LED can who knows how far... now it's a wreck. So I disconnected it, and will remove the other can this weekend.

So, I want a better location for the cans (if I replace the damaged one). With the faired bike, I want the cans to be above the shocks somewhere, but I'm not sure where. And I don't have an engine guard to attach them to. Any ideas?
I mounted mine in the same place and in six years of riding, only broke one mount after i hit a pothole on a dirt road going at an inappropriate speed. I remounted both in the same place with a much stronger brace and I've had no issues since. It's a good height
running lights.jpg
and spacing in that location.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I also like it higher than the original location a few inches above the hub. Took the bike for a 300 mile ride, and they didn't stray or vibrate.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts