CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some LED spot lights in the front of my CTX700DCT. They can be seen in the photo below.
I attached them to the brackets that originally held the front reflectors at the front wheel. I was always concerned that vibration and bad roads would cause too much stress on those supports, but they seemed strong enough.

Today, after a day ride, I discovered that the left bracket had sheared from the punishment, and dragged the LED can who knows how far... now it's a wreck. So I disconnected it, and will remove the other can this weekend.

So, I want a better location for the cans (if I replace the damaged one). With the faired bike, I want the cans to be above the shocks somewhere, but I'm not sure where. And I don't have an engine guard to attach them to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Your can get heavier attachments that those used to hold a reflector. Actually where you mounted them is quite interesting. Most mount lights on crash bars, but you don't have any.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your can get heavier attachments that those used to hold a reflector. Actually where you mounted them is quite interesting. Most mount lights on crash bars, but you don't have any.
Yeah, at the very least I'd need heavier mounting brackets for those lower mounting spots. But I'm still wondering if there's a good place to mount that gets the benefit of the front shocks to minimize the riding stress.

·
Registered
859 Posts
So that takes away my weekend project. was going to mount my Denali lights exactly where you put yours. I will have to look at other options.

·
Super Moderator
3,076 Posts
Here is where I put mine a couple of years ago. They've held up well. I have a new set (as yet un-installed) that will replace these that should be even brighter. I like that they are closer to eye level.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Reactions: Steven Lyle Jordan

·
Registered
997 Posts
So, you swapped out the Bolt with a with a longer one. Any vibration issues on the lights?
Nope. I did tighten down pretty good and use lock tight as first go around I moderately tightened and found one light aiming down after a very bumpy road. After tightening real good, and needing a lot of pressure to adjust aim of lights, no issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,076 Posts
Wish I could find an edit button.... Besides a longer bolt I got a spacer from Ace Hardware.
The barely noticeable edit button is now the 3 vertical dots on the top line, far right of each individual posting box. It is on the same line that carries your post number and age indication. I just tested it and one thing I like is that your posts are "open" for edit for at least a month (as opposed to just a few days as was in the previous forum).
(Easy when you know, darn frustrating when you don't. 1st Bob 6:14) :cool:

·
Registered
997 Posts
The barely noticeable edit button is now the 3 vertical dots on the top line, far right of each individual posting box. It is on the same line that carries your post number and age indication. I just tested it and one thing I like is that your posts are "open" for edit for at least a month (as opposed to just a few days as was in the previous forum).
(Easy when you know, darn frustrating when you don't. 1st Bob 6:14) :cool:
Thanks Bob, thought I looked there but now I see it. You're a cornucopia of knowledge (y)

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Danny, just FYI, you attached your lights to the same reflector brackets that cracked from fatigue on my bike (and utterly ruined the can that had been attached to it). Like me, I'd give some thought to a different mounting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts