CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very subjective (and perhaps overly verbose) review of the idea of motorbikes without gears and of the dct system of the CTX700D in particular.
With about 900 miles on the CTX700D, this is how I utilize the transmission.

Skip the first part if you don't want an introductory narrative about my thoughts on manual shifting that brought me to the CTX700D.

dct

*** Tony (MisterHand)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Tony,

A very thorough review, and mirrors my thoughts and experience exactly. Verbose? No; I think you wrote it for publication, and it shows. Be proud of it; nice piece; and a nice shot: that black is mine too.
f

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I know you said your review was subjective, so I'll subjectively disagree with this one line in particular: :)
When that attention is freed up by not having to shift, it can be used for other things: handling the bike, enjoying one's surroundings, or attending to traffic more easily.
In my own experience, when I drive an automatic car, I actually find myself less engaged and therefore less concentrated on what's going on with the car and what's going on around me. In a manual car, somehow the process of having to focus on gear changes makes me more concentrated and more focused on driving and paying attention to everything that's involved in the driving process. And I've heard a few others with very similar experiences.

Maybe it's different with automatic bikes. Or maybe I'm just weird. As I said, it's subjective.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well done Tony. I got to ride my wifes home from work the other day in heavy traffic. Being comfortable splitting lanes, I found S mode and its tendancy to linger in third quite nice. It was one less thing I had to think about. Honda nailed it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is exactly what I have been looking for Tony. I really appreciate it. I need a DCT because my left leg does not work, otherwise I would keep my Super Tenere. I got my first DCT in a 2008 M3. I love to shift and always shifted it manually as I will do with the CTX.

I have to subjectively disagree with Pete subjectively disagreeing with you. I fully understand what he is saying but I feel what you wrote was correct in that if you do not have to devote brain power to shifting (albeit it muscle memory for the most part) you free your mind up for other things. In Keith Codes classic road racing book A Twist of The Wrist, he relates your concentration to a $10 bill. You have saved some of that money by not focusing on shifting. How you choose to spend that savings is up to you.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Love the review. Good job!

My favorite part of the review is the section about "manual mode". I'm a long-time straight shift driver of cars. All but my first car have been straight shifts and that's around 34 years and five primary vehicles. I prefer them in most respects, because I like choosing the gear that I'm going to be in and choosing when to change it, and I absolutely detest a car that will decide on its own to downshift on the highway while cruise control is engaged. I'm sure we've all felt that funny feeling that happens while ascending a hill in cruise control in an automatic vehicle and suddenly the vehicle downshifts and tries to make up lost speed thereby sending one up an over the top of a hill with an upcoming curve too fast. It's at this point that we have to tap the brake or reset the cruise to get control of the vehicle. If you've never operated a straight shift with cruise control, then you won't know it, but this never happens in a straight shift. Cruise control in a manual shift is an absolute joy on the highway compared to automatics. I even use it in the city; in school zones, etc. for dead-on even speed with no up or down shifts and that's why I've never made the jump to an automatic tranny car. I do a lot of highway riding in a rural area, and the straight shift is just more usable for me overall.

But you make a good point in the review that I agree with whole heartedly. Although I much prefer making my own gear choices, I think we should be way beyond, technologically speaking, manual clutches. If I could find a vehicle that I could just twist and shift and have a clutch-by-wire kind of situation when I chose a higher or lower gear, that would be the perfect vehicle for me. Of course, with a DCT, one has this choice, but with regards to the CTX700, I chose the straight shift mainly because I didn't want the added weight, extra complexity, extra service items, and extra grand that comes with the DCT. In other words, although I don't think it will ever happen, I'd like to see regular straight shifts become standard with automatic clutches, and that's with respect to cars and bikes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
great review, and i agree. i think i'm stuck with the "phantom clutch" reaction as i alternate time between the ctx and a shifty bike.

i noted this in another thread, but it bears repeating: if you are taking a demo ride on a honda dct bike and have some riding experience (i.e. this is a second+ bike for you), PUT IT IN S MODE. D MODE SUCKS. i would not have bought the dct version -- or even the ctx at all -- if i wasn't aware of the s mode. the dealer started it in d mode and i said "isn't there a sport mode?" HOORAY for whatever review noted that!

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is the BEST review I have read describing what it's like to ride a DCT. The clicking and downshifting...ease to handle in traffic. I can understand that it may not be for everyone. But for this 56 year old guy that is coming from a touring scooter, it fits the bill perfectly. Honda is trying to hit a nitch market...newer riders...older riders...scooter riders. I think they have done an excellent job of hitting that mark.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
MisterHand, great review. We should send all newbies to the forum who don't own one a CTX yet to read your review of the DCT...... Grasshopper can learn much from Master.

Reactions: Kfrill

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fantastic review Tony and thanks for taking the time. I am keenly awaiting the release of this beauty in Australia. Curious to know what size you are? I am 6'"2 tall and concerned my height could be a problem with the low seat height.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Scorpio2910,

I'm about six feet tall... Maybe 5'11 and change. I very much like riding on the ctx on a thick pad which lifts me off the seat about 1.5. Inches. Not that the bike is in any way too small for me or uncomfortable. On the contrary, it's very comfortable. But the pad changes the handling characteristics of the bike in interesting ways as it separates your weight a bit from the bike's, allowing you to manipulate the thing differently ( I hesitate to say "better", 'cause I haven't decided yet). All of which is to say, if you find the low seat height disadvantageous, then you might want to try a gel pad (or perhaps an Airhawk) before you remove the bike from consideration. Also, depending on the angle at which the pad is positioned, it can place more weight on the handlebars and foot pegs which gave a feeling of added control.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...that first sentence was supposed to read, " I very much liked riding..." Meaning that I only did it once or twice and not sure how I would feel using a pad that thick in the long run...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks MisterHand, your reply and advice is very much appreciated. Honda Australia has just announced that they are rolling out all variants to dealerships across OZ this month so I will definitely be test riding. I really like your suggestion about the AirHawk. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts