CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(and don't say on my head!)

I've been riding a Burgman 400 for the last 5 years. It's the only bike I've ever owned. I've ordered a CTX700 and now I'm faced with some problems I hadn't really considered before. There's a ton of storage space on the Burgy and I've gotten very used to just dropping my full sized helmet in the seat.

So where do I put it now? What are my options for locking my helmet to the bike?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
If you don't get the hard cases (Expensive) then there is a metal loop on the right rear side that you can use. I have a SH150 and don't put my helmet in it's storage. It has a helmet hook but it is in an inconvient spot so I extened it with a S hook. You might want to invest in a top box and/or the rear rack to bungee or use a small cargo net to hold your helmet. I usually take my helmet in where ever I go as the heat in Texas is intense and even in a storage space I will become a brain oven.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I just hook my helmet to the S ring using the D ring on the straps. I have never had anyone try and mess with it. YoOu could do that and put a master lock through both to be moe secure. Most of the guys I see either put them in their bags (Leather Saddlebags) or leave them on the bike.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you remove the seat, there's a looping hook of metal, on the left side of the under seat area. In the tool bag, there's a piece of steel cable with loops on both ends, and a piece of vinyl, covering the center section of the cable. You stick the cable through the D-ring of your helmet, and back through itself, then around the hook under the seat. With the seat in place, you can't remove the cable from the hook.

Honestly, it's a pain in the butt to deal with, especially after being used to the cavernous belly of a Burgman 400. I'll be getting a Givi top box, myself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We like to leave the helmet on the mirror cos it looks cool. But just for a laugh, some low-life will lift it and just throw it in the shrubbery, knowing the inconvenience it will cause. My CBX has a neat lock operated with the ignition key, but that's another thing left off here to keep the price down. I never actually used that lock and relied on a simple cheap combination lock, as you only need to stop the spontainious prankster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use this to secure my helmet. I used to use the Honda chin strap cable when I had my scooter but the goofy wire hook on my NC and the CTX is pretty inconvenient.

I put the lock cable through the shield opening and through the hand hold. the cable adjusts to any size. The coiled cable is pretty small and might fit under the CTX seat. It definitely fits in a jacket pocket.

In a pinch you could also lock the bike with it but the cable is only 5/16" so it won't stop a thief with a bolt cutter.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have ordered the rear rack and bracket so I can mount my Givi topcase to it. It's where I store my helmet when needed. The under seat strap system with the CTX is a pain. Actually, storing anything under the seat is a pain as it is not hinged like a scooter and must be completely removed.

·
Registered
975 Posts
As another stupid scooter owner with a Piaggio BV350 being the only PTW I've owned, I've been looking at storage options also. Locking the helmet up is not a big deal for me, since most of my riding will be to work and back, but I definitely need about 30 liters of storage that is more or less fairly even with respect to height, width, and length, so that I can put my helmet in it or other items like a few groceries. I don't want to start off getting a Honda luggage rack, because I've heard it is almost $300 bucks, and then even if I get an $80 cheap top case, I'm still out $380 on something that shouldn't cost so much.

Something I've found that I could start using right away on the CTX is a tail bag strapped to the pillion seat. In particular, there is one type called a roll, which requires a little extra work as compared to some of the more expensive soft luggage tail bags but not too intrusive. It looks like maybe they velcro shut at the top along the full length of the bag and then one has to roll it over a couple of times and then there are plastic buckles that snap it kind of in a locked position. Most of them are water proof. Givi has them, but they are a little expensive compared to another brand I found called Nelson-Rigg. They have a new model called "Adventure Bag". Almost all of this luggage that you can find is black (sort of like the Ford Model T), but this particular bag is available in Hi-Vis Yellow or Hi Vis Orange. This bag comes in two sizes; 40 liter and 71.5 liter approximately $70 and $100, respectively. I would think, with this bag, it's all you'll need to get immediate storage on your bike.

I'm worried that the 71.5 liter will be too big for the bike, and I'm probably going to opt for the 40 liter. Another advantage of the smaller bag is that, once I get an after market luggage rack for much, much cheaper than the one being sold by Honda, I can get a Bestem top case and still use the bag on the seat for additional storage. At least I think I'll be able to do that.

ADVENTURE DRY BAG

The link below from one of the online retailers that sells it includes a video showing how it works:

Nelson-Rigg Adventure Dry Bag - Adventure Touring - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Registered
216 Posts
We have used Ortlieb Rack Packs exclusively for years and love them. I will confirm positively that they can handle even the worst of rainstorms and your gear will be high and dry. We put the large one on the pillion and just use the side straps to attach to the passenger handles and it stays completely secure - not even a bungee needed. Just two clips, lift and go.

It may or may not appeal to you, but just another idea floating out there.

Happy Trails...

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Nelson Dry Bag looks to work the same as the Seal Line bags that I have used in boating and kayaking for years. If they are as good quality, they should do a great job. For those needing less storage capacity, I just checked their site and they have a deck bag that looks like it would sit on the pillion with adjustable hooks that would hook to the saddlebag mount already on the cycle (if you like bright colors). I purchased a motorcycle cargo net ($7 from Cyclegear) that also uses these mounts and is great for additional storage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you remove the seat, there's a looping hook of metal, on the left side of the under seat area. In the tool bag, there's a piece of steel cable with loops on both ends, and a piece of vinyl, covering the center section of the cable. You stick the cable through the D-ring of your helmet, and back through itself, then around the hook under the seat. With the seat in place, you can't remove the cable from the hook.

Honestly, it's a pain in the butt to deal with, especially after being used to the cavernous belly of a Burgman 400. I'll be getting a Givi top box, myself.
Looks like theft ready in the making.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Check out "helmetlox".
They make several devices that work great, allowing you to lock the helmet to several different places on a bike.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Search helmet lock on Amazon around 20 bucks. Put it around a mirror and thru the D links on the helmet. Store it in the little storage compartment on the bike.
I have the same lock it's sort of like a big carabiner. Very handy. I recommend it too for those looking for another option.

But I usually just carry my helmet in with me (not always but mostly) I wear a full face that does not fit in my OEM hard cases, and I don't want a top box. I used to leave it out on the bike with that lock....but one time I had some kind of bug land on the helmet while it was hanging off the bike outside; and crawl into it while I was in the grocery store...when I came back out I did not notice it when I put the helmet on, only later which was a very annoying surprise when I got back out on the streets. You feel a creepy-crawly inside your helmet you tend to imagine it's the worst kind of bug imaginable....haha. The weird stuff always seems to happen to me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I kept it pretty simple... finding the built in helmet lock a pain since you must remove the seat to use it. I bought a small locking cable... the wire can extend out or be recoiled by a click of a button. I string the cable through the chin of my full face helmet, than through the back OEM rack... and lock it. It has one of those 3 number tumbler locks, quick and easy. I than just put the helmet securely over the back rest. In a pinch, if my OEM bags are full, I have even strung the same cable lock through the sleeve of my riding jacket, and have left that on the bike too (pockets emptied!). The lock fits in easily in the glove box, or the compartment where the gas cap is.

·
Registered
549 Posts
OK guys, and ladies, it is common that motorcycle riders are also, in large part, gun folks too. Maybe not you northerners, but, down south, guns and motorcycles go together. Go to the gunroom and get one of those little gunlocks that come with every handgun you have. Keep it with you and use it to lock the helmet to the handlebar. Of course I live in Georgia, and I never lock my helmet. I just hang it on the bars, or set it on the seat. Never had a problem. I also never take the key out of my bikes. Remember, I live in the deep south. Wallacem in Ga

Reactions: susietronti
1 - 20 of 35 Posts