CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was at the local Honda shop and they had the ends for a stand that I had bought at Harbor Freight. I lucked out. I guess I could have seen if the company that made the stand had the ends I needed but never did. Note that the left ear is out some from the swing arm. This is needed as the hub the sprocket is bolted to sticks out below the swing arm.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

To lift the bike,
1. Put a 2 by 4 block under the kick stand to get it almost level
be careful not to let it fall on the right side if you bump it. If a 2 by 4 is too
much then use a little thinner block. The idea is to have the stand lift both swing arms at the same time.
2. Put stand ends under the axle bolt on each side making sure upright lip is not under the swing arm .
3. Press down firmly until stand handle is resting on the floor.
4. Visually check stand ends are under axle and swing arm is resting on the
flats of the stand ends
4. Rock the bike slightly side to side to confirm it is held solid.

To lower the bike,
1. Be sure 2 by 4 is out of the way
2. Be sure the kick stand is down
3. stand on the kick side of bike
4. place right foot against the stand
5. hold on to the handle bar with left hand
6. hold on to the seat passenger strap with right hand
7. Rock bike forward and stand will pivot lowering the bike
8. Let it lower toward the kick stand and rest .
9. Move stand out of the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
are there any screw threads on the swingarm to screw in paddock stand bobbins?

bobbins make a more positive location to lift, as long as your paddock stand has fixed hooks to locate onto the bobbins!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my stand had the fork ends for bobbins but since the swing arm has no holes for one, I had the choice to drill and tap and mount them or use the pads. Pick the method that works for you. I doubt I will drop the bike sitting on the pads.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed two frame ears poking down below engine and snapped a picture. I think the lower part of the frame is identical to the nc700x but since the ground clearance is less, the same center stand will not work. I figure in not time, a shorter center stand will appear for the CTX.

I could be wrong and those that have to have a center stand can buy the nc700x version and cut an inch or so off of it and have it welded back together shorter.

IMG_2728.JPG

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you punch in CTX700 and hit "Images" then one of the many dozens of shots is a diagram of the frame. It shows how the only difference is the rear portion which supports the seat. This raises the NC700X seat height but I’m guessing both share the same ground clearance. It makes sense for Honda to get away with only needing to produce the one stand. Like the minimalist toolkit, every non-essential item has been removed to get the purchase price as low as possible. As a “spare part” the stand can then be sold at a premium. Even the labels are sparse on this bike compared to earlier models.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Old Tom, Based on specs I have found the nc700x ground clearance is 6.7 inches
and the ctx is 5.1. If you put the nc700x stand on the CTX the angle would make it harder to lift the bike (more muscle power). I found this out when I lowered my VFR, I could no longer leverage it up on the center stand. I think there will be on at some point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If that's the case Bill, and as not every owner will bother, then Honda could end up with a warehouse full of un-wanted CTX stands. If it becomes necessary to shorten a stand off the NC700X or any other model, it will either be dead easy or very difficult. I shortened a Laverda stand and it was straight-forward. When I tried the same job on an 82 CBX, it proved quite a challenge. Let's hope there's an off the shelf solution as I prefer parking on the centre-stand. I'm not fussed about the stand scraping. Judging by the tang under the foot-rest, looks to me that the riders heel will be the first thing to touch, and that's a worry. Got the red tourer model as screen-saver, but still no indication of how much longer I'll have to wait.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I was asked to show the adaptor ends that I am using on my stand that supports my CTX for chain and other maintenance. so here is what they look like close up.

the long flat area is longer than the swing arm is wide. If adjusted right the bike can not slide side to side due to the upright edge that rests on the outside of each swing arm.

stand end.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just an FYI - At my dealer, I tried a Pitbull stand (with the spool end reversed for flat portion) and the locking bolt hit the muffler when trying to raise rear - a problem I saw on the CBR250R on another site. I tried a Trackside rear stand from CycleGear (on sale for $50) and it seems to work fine with no clearance issues. Don't know how long it will hold up but reviews were mostly good.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an FYI - At my dealer, I tried a Pitbull stand (with the spool end reversed for flat portion) and the locking bolt hit the muffler when trying to raise rear - a problem I saw on the CBR250R on another site. I tried a Trackside rear stand from CycleGear (on sale for $50) and it seems to work fine with no clearance issues. Don't know how long it will hold up but reviews were mostly good.

The muffler is very close but my stand clears it ok. The Cycle Gear stand is assembled and my stand also had some assembly. Both should be checked from time to time for loose mounting hardware but should hold up well. I have had mine over a year.

here is picture of Trackside stand

trackside stand.jpg

·
Registered
338 Posts
This is my first motorcycle, and am confused a bit as i read these forums. Can someone recommend a rear stand (for chain maintenance) that is reliable, safe, and a good fit for the CTX700? I am also confused as to whether I need "spools" or not! I will be doing this type of maintenance solo. Thanks to anyone and everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my first motorcycle, and am confused a bit as i read these forums. Can someone recommend a rear stand (for chain maintenance) that is reliable, safe, and a good fit for the CTX700? I am also confused as to whether I need "spools" or not! I will be doing this type of maintenance solo. Thanks to anyone and everyone for your help.

see the how to section. Spools require drilling the swing arm. You can do that if you wish to have spools. I chose not to. Ask your dealer the pros and cons of spools.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'm still like Darkstar. A little confused about what I can get that is simple and easy to use without a lot of modification to make it work on a weekly basis for basic chain maintenance. I've aggravated Bill about this, and he has explained it as best he can to help me understand, but until I actually get the bike, and then look at stands, I'm not sure I can fully get the gist of it.

I'm wandering if I can use the linked item, which is similar to the same thing Bit Pull offers? Bit Pull is obviously better made but is double the price, and this cheaper stand gets great reviews.

MotoStance M-6 Rear Stand - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/0000-MotoStance-M-6-Rear-Stand---.jpg

Where I get confused is understanding what else I'll need to make this stand work? If there are limitations to this sort of stand? What other options are out there that might be better?

I know for certain that I'll need something pretty quick or I'll be aggravating my wife to death rolling my bike around while I'm still getting the hang of doing chain maintenance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm still like Darkstar. A little confused about what I can get that is simple and easy to use without a lot of modification to make it work on a weekly basis for basic chain maintenance. I've aggravated Bill about this, and he has explained it as best he can to help me understand, but until I actually get the bike, and then look at stands, I'm not sure I can fully get the gist of it.

I'm wandering if I can use the linked item, which is similar to the same thing Bit Pull offers? Bit Pull is obviously better made but is double the price, and this cheaper stand gets great reviews.

MotoStance M-6 Rear Stand - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/ProductImages/300/0000-MotoStance-M-6-Rear-Stand---.jpg

Where I get confused is understanding what else I'll need to make this stand work? If there are limitations to this sort of stand? What other options are out there that might be better?

I know for certain that I'll need something pretty quick or I'll be aggravating my wife to death rolling my bike around while I'm still getting the hang of doing chain maintenance.
Although I purchased a different model rear stand, they all seem to work pretty much the same way - just made with different levels of quality with different adjustment mechanisms. I purchased and have used this one:
TRACKSIDE - Rear Paddock Stand - Rear Stands - Stands - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

I don't have a front wheel chock and I am able to easily lift the rear tire for chain maintenance (I get my better half to hold the bike vertical - I have seen some videos of people doing it by themselves -but don't want to risk it - there are numerous videos on Youtube showing the different models). Spools would probably make it easier, but the bike felt extremely stable with the paddle style arms so I don't plan on adding any. I did not have to make any modifications to the bike - just adjusted the width of the paddock stand paddles. The Pitbull website has some good videos of their stands. Their stand hit the rear portion of my muffler when lifting and would dent the rear of the muffler or force me to remove the rear part of the muffler cover each time. Instead of making mods, I found one that works as is.

I have the 700ND which has a wheel speed sensor by the muffler - limits where I can lift from but was not a problem with my stand.

For those interested, a friend sent me this link for chain maintenance from a sister site:
Drive chain maintenance

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the posts and links. I went back and read some of the prior posts in this thread and noticed some of my questions had previously been answered. I probably skimmed through these originally, because I was not understanding them technically at the time and now, as I'm getting a better understanding of what I need to do and what the stands do, they make more sense. Sorry to re inquire.

Looks like the issue to watch out for is to make sure the stand will work without the low muffler possibly being in the way which might be the case with some stands and to consider a front wheel chock, so that I will be able to safely do this by myself.

Unless there is something else to consider, I think I've got all the info I can get short of studying on it some myself.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The muffler cap is held on by two screws and must be removed to pull the rear axle. Removing it may give you the clearence needed.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a pit bull, but how would i use it with the ctx700, as it seems designed for spools?
call Pit Bull see if you stand has other ends for it. Or just drill, tap and add spools. Most Honda shops stock and sell the spools because dirt bike and sport bike riders use them a lot.

If I could not easily have gotten the pads for my stand I would have used the spools. They actually might be saver or more firmly supported than the flat pads I use. Of course I am aware as most experience riders and wrench guys is that too much tugging on wrenches or whatever can knock it off any stand just about.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts