CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'98 Valkyrie Touring
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of the sprockets and chain. I haven't done a thing other than remove the front sprocket cover. I haven't even cleaned anything. At 22,500 miles, I figured a change was due, but now I'm not sure. No chain links are bound up. I believe the chain color is due to chain wax. I need to check the tension, but I suspect it will be good. The sprocket teeth look very good to me, but having never owned a chain driven bike, I'm a bit ignorant on the situation. I am certain the former owner (ctxdawg) took very good care of this bike and never (well, maybe very rarely) rode it hard. Any input is appreciated. Hopefully the pix turn out OK.
20200726_131443_resized.jpg
20200726_131625_resized.jpg
20200726_131419_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
I must be harder on my bike. I changed the sprocket and chain at 12,000.

I suspect the time was my fault, for not keeping the chain properly adjusted (I generally ride shaft-drive bikes).

·
Registered
491 Posts
My chain has too much slack in it and it needs be adjusted. I just tried to pull the chain away from the middle of my rear sprocket as in your second picture and the chain wont budge. As if it is glued to the sprocket and has no slack whatsoever to separate it from the middle of the sprocket. I think the valleys between your teeth are possibly wallered out allowing you to pull the chain away from the sprocket far enough that I would replace. Looking at the front sprocket the teeth don’t look to be hooked or worn oblong but you can see the shinny outline of how much the chain has worn itself down into it. Attached is a pic of a used OEM sprocket off EBay to compare to yours. If you Google “worn sprockets” and click on images you can see many examples of worn sprockets to compare. Strange that there are quite a few worn front sprockets with hooked and worn teeth but with no evidence of the chain outline engraved into the sides of them. I would be proud to say I got 22,000 out of a chain and sprockets.
Is This Sprocket Worn? (pics)
ctxsprocket.jpg

·
Registered
'98 Valkyrie Touring
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out there is a ton of slack in the chain. Enough that I'm not sure I could take it up with the tightening mechanism without it indicating to replace the chain. I'll get a new chain, so replacing the sprockets seems like the natural compliment.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
My chain has too much slack in it and it needs be adjusted. I just tried to pull the chain away from the middle of my rear sprocket as in your second picture and the chain wont budge. As if it is glued to the sprocket and has no slack whatsoever to separate it from the middle of the sprocket. I think the valleys between your teeth are possibly wallered out allowing you to pull the chain away from the sprocket far enough that I would replace. Looking at the front sprocket the teeth don’t look to be hooked or worn oblong but you can see the shinny outline of how much the chain has worn itself down into it. Attached is a pic of a used OEM sprocket off EBay to compare to yours. If you Google “worn sprockets” and click on images you can see many examples of worn sprockets to compare. Strange that there are quite a few worn front sprockets with hooked and worn teeth but with no evidence of the chain outline engraved into the sides of them. I would be proud to say I got 22,000 out of a chain and sprockets.
Is This Sprocket Worn? (pics)
View attachment 86677
I agree...it is time...sorry Bob;):love:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy sam
i'm glad you got home and are finding what i said to be accurate in that i would have ridden many more miles without having to replace anything , but, that if i was buying it for a loved one, i'd do a bit of maintainance to brakes and chain. as stated above, getting that many miles out of a chain and sprockets has to indicate easy riding and the same with brakes. here's wishing you all the best.
ken

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy again, another thought is that i think the wear you are seeing indicates a slight misalignment of the rear tire which i had suspected in the tire wear pattern as well. lining that up will help all around.
ken

·
Registered
267 Posts
I replaced mine at 24k miles. They had a bit more life in them but I was having it all done at the dealer, and it was all of $200 since they had the bike apart anyway. Not really worth it to push it too far, 22k is plenty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts