CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for about 175 mile ride today.
Had my GPS mounted, on a RAM Mount, although I haven't ran the cable yet.
I was impressed that at 70 mph on the GPS, the speedometer was reading 71. Compared to the Victory I had last it was awesome. The Victory was about 6 mph off at 70.

I filled up at 178 miles and put in 2.4 gal. So about 74 mpg. I had just hit one bar on the gas gauge and the next station was 10 miles. Just was curious if I could have gone over 200 on the tank.

My butt was getting sore anyway.....good time to stop.
The Corbin seat will be the next thing.

This was also the first ride of any distance with my Kuryakyn mini floorboards. I had angled them down slightly and this worked better than level. Had no trouble moving boot up or down for shifting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the post. I have no doubts you could've gone the additional 10 miles. I have yet to see anyone post that they actually ran out of gas.. I think we're all too paranoid. :) Any pics of the Kuryakyn mini floorboards?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I have actually run out of gas once, but that was when I first got the bike and I didn't understand the gas bars and the good thing was that I was only 300 feet from my house. Would have been nice to have a "miles to empty" feature on the bike.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dolfin,
There is a thread dated 8-15-2013 titled "mini board peg replacement" by Ceeteex that shows pictures.
I'm not sure how to get that post to this thread.
Also since I live in Surprise you are just a few miles away.
PM me and you can come look at what I have.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just was curious if I could have gone over 200 on the tank.
Yes!

My last tank was my worst mpg tank so far, calculated @ 71.77 before my assumed trip meter error is entered . As close as I can recall, the bar started flashing on me at or about 173 miles ridden on that tank. I topped up at 185.3 (12.3 miles after the flash first appeared) with 2.582 gallons of pure gasoline. With the bike on the side stand, I fill it to near the tippy top a couple of times, but the fuel still bubbles back down to the cross bars before I lock the cap. Whether or not the fuel is going into the evap canister or just venting like my diesel car, I'm not sure, and I don't know whether or not I should continue this practice of filling to the very top. But I want to get all the range I can, so this is how I've been topping consistently for quite some time.

I've waited until the flash on every fillup so far that I can recall. I've ridden at least 16 miles after I first see the flash. The most fuel I've ever pumped in to top up was 2.601, which happens to be my first top up.

It should be noted, at least for me, riding in a fairly hilly region of the U.S., that the fuel level in which the 4th bar disappears and the last bar starts flashing is not always equal. If I happen to be traveling uphill when the fuel level gets close to that point, it will start flashing at least a few miles before it would otherwise. Often times, I'll get the flash for a while, and then when I level back out, the 4th bar will come back. Sometimes this will go back and fourth for a few miles, so I'm not sure how well I can gauge my range left by the flash, unless I'm on straight, flat terrain, which is uncommon where I live.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts