CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice the (apparently) planned space for stereo speakers in the 2014 Honda CTX700 fairing? However, speakers aren't on the options list... what's up with that? Anyone know about a coming Honda or aftermarket product?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I noticed also and wondered the exact same thing. It looks like I could install some speakers in there and rig up an ipod for music even if they don't make it an option.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I suspect that you would be able to add third party sound system to them. The grilles would alread be in place. I plan on using Iplugz and a MP3 player. The one time I rode with someone with speakers I could barely hear the music.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Never noticed that before, quite surprised I missed out on it. What size speakers do you guys think we can fit in what seems to be a designated speaker area

here's the attached image from above

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I know what Honda has planned... self-amplified, Bluetooth-enabled speakers (pair wirelessly with iPhone, Android, whatever music source) as a yet-to-be-announced accessory... brilliant!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's going to be pretty hard to hear that radio when riding. The only time you could probably hear it is when stopping at redlights. Best to just get earplugs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The way that the CTX700 is designed I don't think it will be loud enough for us to hear because of the wind. Speakers would be more functional on the goldwings since the front end has so much more coverage around the handle bar area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This topic was already been discussed. Those are not speakers, just simply covers.You can try to make it work but the wind noise would be too much of an affect to the idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This topic was already been discussed. Those are not speakers, just simply covers.You can try to make it work but the wind noise would be too much of an affect to the idea.
yup, just what i thought, all that wind noise will just drone out the audio. oh well we can always enjoy the great sound coming out of the exhaust pipes of our 700's :D just need to invest into an aftermarket exhaust setup instead of audio ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Wow! Hardly anyone has even ridden one of these (other than Journalists and Test Riders) and we are already declaring the wind noise will be too great? Looks like the Faring will be pretty protective from what I can see. I could be wrong.
Goldwings and Ventures certainly have great protection (owned both) but the CTX appears to have a enough to keep the noise level down with a taller wind screen added.
Let me know if someone has ridden one setup this way already and can definitively declare it too loud to make speakers work. It would be nice to add some sounds for the road.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I have ridden on the back of a big Harley and the guy had his radio going. I could barely hear the music. He had a fairing and tall windshield. I am sure others will add a sound system I will just use IPlugz & a MP3 player.

Reactions: fjones

·
Registered
898 Posts
That's good information Kfrill, and I am truly not being sarcastic here, but that is not exactly the point of the thread. Sitting on the back of a Harley trying to listen to music is a far reach compared to listening to music on a Honda, with a Faring, Windshield, Quiet exhaust in the riders seat while riding down the road. I am pretty sure it will be more conducive to hearing sound without the earplugs.
The problem I have with Earplugs is that we use Two-way communicators with speakers stuffed into the side pockets inside the helmet. I find this a great safety factor since we ride together almost exclusively. Granted, you could set this system up to listen to music but each time someone speaks, the music cuts out so the person can talk. That becomes annoying after a while. With speakers, it does allow the rider to have uninterrupted music.
It is not essential for me, as I have some bikes that I ride that just don't allow placement of speakers. But merely in the interest of a good review of someone that has actually ridden one of these bikes to find out how protective the Faring will be so when I pick the bike up, I might have an idea before hand.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Some of the reviews with the fairings have said they did a good job of blocking wind and some have said there was helmet buffeting. I think it will depend on the height of the rider as in whether or not they are in a quieter zone or not. The taller from seat level the more likely to have wind noise. As far as being able to communicate with some one, I don't have any idea, really as I ride by myself. I have never ridden in a group.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I asked about those speaker covers when I picked up my bike from the dealership. The salesman told me that the overseas models got a radio as an option but that option wasn't available in the states for whatever reason. I don't know if he was fibbing or if that is possibly the case???

·
Banned
463 Posts
It's going to be pretty hard to hear that radio when riding. The only time you could probably hear it is when stopping at redlights. Best to just get earplugs.
You apparently haven't heard Harleys going by. They have the speakers blasting so you can hear them about a mile away, loud enough to drown out their illegal loud pipes.

They are all deaf anyway because of the pipes and want everyone to be hearing deprived also.

Reactions: Cheap_Ride

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought the CTX700 with the fairing. I love it! However I installed the Hondaline
System that you see here. It is awesome! No problems at all. :)

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you guys get a chance post up some photos of your setup. I use a Sena SMH10 with speakers in my helmet. Connects via BT and can use it to communicate with my wife or take/make calls without having to remove the helmet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts