CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new spark plugs in my bike last year and they have only ran about 6000 miles. Took a notion to pull one out and compare the new to the old. The old ones were still working fine but I decided to replace them when I did the valve check and antifreeze change. The porcelain on the old plugs were slightly a brownish tinge. The new plugs are still white. Is that normal? I would have thought they would have changed color a bit. Bike is still running the same, start good, and fuel mileage is the ssme. Only thing different is I replaced the original paper air filter with an oiled one which was the same size. Just wondering if it is getting more air flow and thus running leaner.

·
Registered
485 Posts
How many miles again? Stock plugs can probably go 100k miles easy, but I would remove and put a tiny dab of anti seize on the threads to make sure they come out if needed down the road.

Old and new plugs sound completely normal. I would have went back with a dry filter. Can't see it running leaner with the oiled filter.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same plugs. Picked them up at the Honda dealer. Had old ones out so just stuck the new ones in and hung on to the old.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Could be due to contaminants from the initial build of the engine that was removed during the first oil change. As long as spark is being made reliably, let it run.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts