CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTX700LE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so we've been talking about my old Silverwing GL500 lately. The one feature I thought I'd never miss is the removeable rear seat. My Wing didn't have saddlebags, but it did have the tall rear trunk with the backrest. I miss that feature.
So what I would like to do is get something like the top trunk from the HD set, or the top trunk from a Goldwing and add it to the rear of the bike, making it a permanent solo seat with back rest. I've searched the internet over and over, and not found a similar look or solution for this. As I said, I know it'll be a complete one-off custom, but I don't have a passenger, so why not make it extra storage?

If anyone has done this or can recommend a shop/person for the job, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok, so we've been talking about my old Silverwing GL500 lately. The one feature I thought I'd never miss is the removeable rear seat. My Wing didn't have saddlebags, but it did have the tall rear trunk with the backrest. I miss that feature.
So what I would like to do is get something like the top trunk from the HD set, or the top trunk from a Goldwing and add it to the rear of the bike, making it a permanent solo seat with back rest. I've searched the internet over and over, and not found a similar look or solution for this. As I said, I know it'll be a complete one-off custom, but I don't have a passenger, so why not make it extra storage?

If anyone has done this or can recommend a shop/person for the job, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I know exactly what you are talking about.I have a V-Star 250,I took off the passenger seat and installed a little carrier rack and put a small trunk on it.It works great for a back rest and then I have the storage.I would love to have the same setup on my CTX700.Right now I have a backpack strapped to my seat for storage but no backrest.I'm not able to ride a passenger,so all I need is a driver seat and a small carrier that fits the CTX700.jasperj

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
286 Posts

I installed a Givi Trekker on the back that can hold two full-face helmets and some more. I know you want a solo seat and then a back case but I haven't seen that combination installed on a CTX700 yet.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700LE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
View attachment 88668

I installed a Givi Trekker on the back that can hold two full-face helmets and some more. I know you want a solo seat and then a back case but I haven't seen that combination installed on a CTX700 yet.
I like the trunk, but I'd have to figure out how to put it in front of that rack...

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
View attachment 88668

It is easy when you know! I'm again planning on selling my Russell Day-Long system separately, so I re-installed my custom solo "tractor" seat I made a couple of years ago. In addition, I just added a small trunk as a rider's "backrest" as well:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ordered a small trunk,I'm going to try to zip tie it to my seat.I'll let you know how that turns out.jasperj
I ziptied the small trunk to the seat with 2 large ties.I took it for about a 40 mile ride and so far it's been holding good.jasperj

·
Registered
1 Posts

I set my bike up like this years ago and never looked back. Others consider it ugly but I'm less concerned about optics and more about the use and comfort I get from it. First off, I have always riden solo and you'll notice there are no side bags on my bike. I have a one car garage. Literally not enough room to add those. I have a very comfortable backrest that attaches via velcro to the trunk barrel behind it. The barrel is attached by 4 plastic ties and 2 bungee cords. It has never become loose, much less fallen off. The barrel and the metal trunk attached to the rear carrier gives me a huge amount of space to store all my riding gear or groceries. At 75 years my touring days are pretty much over so if truth will out, it's more about groceries and other household supply runs. I'm not agile with a camera but I made a good faith effort to give you some idea of what my solution to a backrest/trunk turned out. Works for me. Good luck with your quest. BTW, my bike has a Chinese name. I call it 红热门 (Red Hot). :)

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Automotive tire Lens

Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Plant Automotive tire

Motorcycle Window Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Helmet Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
479 Posts
I've thought about rear seat bags in the past, but I rarely take longer than a day trip on my bike, and I figure on getting saddlebags for those trips in the future (which won't be happening before next year at soonest). But yeah, there are rear seat bags that double as back-rests, I'd be looking at those.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I set my bike up like this years ago and never looked back. Others consider it ugly but I'm less concerned about optics and more about the use and comfort I get from it. First off, I have always riden solo and you'll notice there are no side bags on my bike. I have a one car garage. Literally not enough room to add those. I have a very comfortable backrest that attaches via velcro to the trunk barrel behind it. The barrel is attached by 4 plastic ties and 2 bungee cords. It has never become loose, much less fallen off. The barrel and the metal trunk attached to the rear carrier gives me a huge amount of space to store all my riding gear or groceries. At 75 years my touring days are pretty much over so if truth will out, it's more about groceries and other household supply runs. I'm not agile with a camera but I made a good faith effort to give you some idea of what my solution to a backrest/trunk turned out. Works for me. Good luck with your quest. BTW, my bike has a Chinese name. I call it 红热门 (Red Hot). :)

View attachment 88779

View attachment 88780

View attachment 88781

View attachment 88782

View attachment 88783

View attachment 88784
I call mine,Red.I've been using my cycles for shopping and running errands for years.I figured if I have to get something I might as well enjoy a ride and save alot of fuel! I've put about 3 hundred miles on Red since I ziptied my trunk to the seat and it is working fine.I like to keep Red as windstream as possible,so I wouldn't consider adding sidecases.I've been getting from 80 to 92.3 mpg.jasperj

·
Registered
2014 CTX700LE
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the advise. I found an inexpensive trunk that I'm mounting on a rack on the rear, and I also took notice of the rear seat barrel. I'm waiting on some U-bolts to finish the trunk mount for the rack, but I ran into a snag with 2 frozen bolts on the right side for the saddlebag. Looks like one is actually stripped. Heading to the Honda shop on Tuesday.

I'm turning this girl into a full tourer for my adventures. Planning my first major trip to New Orleans once they reopen. 12 hours in the saddle. Hopefully the full setup will cover me for tools, gear, and clothes for a week vacation.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Thanks for all of the advise. I found an inexpensive trunk that I'm mounting on a rack on the rear, and I also took notice of the rear seat barrel. I'm waiting on some U-bolts to finish the trunk mount for the rack, but I ran into a snag with 2 frozen bolts on the right side for the saddlebag. Looks like one is actually stripped. Heading to the Honda shop on Tuesday.

I'm turning this girl into a full tourer for my adventures. Planning my first major trip to New Orleans once they reopen. 12 hours in the saddle. Hopefully the full setup will cover me for tools, gear, and clothes for a week vacation.
Before you spend a lot of loot for Honda's shop charges, you might want to hit those bolt with PB Blaster to see it it will shake them loose.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts