CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for a naked is this all I need to add the sissy bar and rack? Or is it better to just go full swing for a monopod?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You will need the second set: inner support to go with the rear rack carrier (normally comes with the back support, but you don't need that). From there, you can attach items to the rear rack with bungie cords, or go whole hog and get a top box. Many have Givi while others, like me, have Shad topbox. You will need some adaptations to get the universal mount secured to the rear rack.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need the second set: inner support to go with the rear rack carrier (normally comes with the back support, but you don't need that). From there, you can attach items to the rear rack with bungie cords, or go whole hog and get a top box. Many have Givi while others, like me, have Shad topbox. You will need some adaptations to get the universal mount secured to the rear rack.
I'm confused so inner rack support is needed which comes with back support normally but don't need it?

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
So for a naked is this all I need to add the sissy bar and rack? Or is it better to just go full swing for a monopod? View attachment 87204
Not sure what a "monopod" is, ("top box" mounted on a rear rack?). IF just a rack & backrest are wanted, T-Rex makes a good product which includes their "inner supports" (which are needed for a "naked" model & they mount under rear bodywork), & a removeable/adjustable backrest.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm confused so inner rack support is needed which comes with back support normally but don't need it?
You don't NEED the back support (look at picture a few posts above...), but I think usually comes with the rear carrier as a set. You will need the "INNER Supports" if you have a naked version: they come with the faired version of the CTX.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Here's what you need to install the rear carrier on the CTX 700N. Buy the "Frequently Bought Together" group from Amazon priced at $261.95.

Inner support Install:

Backseat Bracket and Rear Carrier Install:

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
There is also an optional rubber grommet piece that help to protect the rear fender from rubbing.... Item 9 in the link below (you'll need 2 if you want to install them).

I think those rubber pieces (item 9) come with the Amazon inner support kit. To mount the carrier to the supports though, he may need to order the offset collars (item 14) and the 8mm socket bolts (item 17). They come with the oem Honda unit, but probably not the knockoff unit.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The rubber cushion #4 should come with the inner support P/N 08L72-MJF-A00 OEM Honda part. That was my experience.
http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L72-MJF-A00.pdf
The OEM Honda Backrest Bracket P/N 08R71-MJF-A00ZP comes with the install hardware including the #4 collar (thick) and #5 collar (thin). I don’t think the after markets supply these and you may have to fabricate these.
http://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08R71-MJF-A00ZP.pdf
On the diagram the Professor supplied there are collars listed # 14 and # 18. Possibly they will work or can be modified to work. When I installed mine I think one thick collar went up front and thin in rear hole on my N model. Interestingly the same #14 collar is used on the front and back on the fairing model with grab handles.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Just to clarify; T-Rex item is complete, (for "naked" model, not compatible with Honda inner supports & grab handles that are standard only on faired model, due to bolt hole spacing). $185 & free shipping. FYI

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Just to clarify; T-Rex item is complete, (for "naked" model, not compatible with Honda inner supports & grab handles that are standard only on faired model, due to bolt hole spacing). $185 & free shipping. FYI
Here is the T-Rex video showing installation of their own-designed inner support brackets and their rear racks. As you said, this is designed for the naked model, and these inner supports have different hole spacing than the Honda designed inner support brackets shown on the above videos. It is another option, however. The rear rack does seem a little thin for mounting a decent sized top case though.:unsure:

Reactions: 350Four and dgall

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Here is the T-Rex video showing installation of their own-designed inner support brackets and their rear racks. As you said, this is designed for the naked model, and these inner supports have different hole spacing than the Honda designed inner support brackets shown on the above videos. It is another option, however. The rear rack does seem a little thin for mounting a decent sized top case though.:unsure:

Mine is about 8" @ front to 6" @ rear width & 8" long. It is about 3/16" thick plate & seems pretty sturdy. Also, it has 2 (not 4) of those "laser cut" openings in the center, (design change). I posted a photo, installed (w/some modification) on my D model, under "luggage"/"want to add a rear carrier". just fyi.
The rack is for my tailbag & if ever touring, I'll use the backrest for attaching larger luggage.(y)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so it looks like what im going to want is inner supports, a backrest and rack along with soft bag supports. I dont think ill need passenger bars just the backrest (is there one that flips down easily?) Think is the bags I chose may require modification to the corbin seat I have, its a very tight latch where I gotta push it flush to get it in. So to fit the leather bags under it ill need to raise something or is there a way to mod the bags or how they attach? For the lazy its these bags, Amazon.com: Milwaukee Performance MP8335RT Retro Brown Large PVC Zip Off Bag with Rivet (16X11X6X22): Automotive

also anyone know of a liner bag thatll fit these? Figured it would be easier whentravelling to just remove the inserts then the bags.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry, don't know an inner bag that would fit those, but I agree with the principle. Popping open my Shad SH36's and pulling out my inner bags takes just a few seconds and they are much easier to load or unload.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
so it looks like what im going to want is inner supports, a backrest and rack along with soft bag supports. I dont think ill need passenger bars just the backrest (is there one that flips down easily?) Think is the bags I chose may require modification to the corbin seat I have, its a very tight latch where I gotta push it flush to get it in. So to fit the leather bags under it ill need to raise something or is there a way to mod the bags or how they attach? For the lazy its these bags, Amazon.com: Milwaukee Performance MP8335RT Retro Brown Large PVC Zip Off Bag with Rivet (16X11X6X22): Automotive

also anyone know of a liner bag thatll fit these? Figured it would be easier whentravelling to just remove the inserts then the bags.
To get your Corbin seat to better close over your leather bags, remove the latch loop from the rear underside of the seat. Add a couple of washers to the bolts between the latch and the seat, and reattach it. This will give you more spacing and the seat will lock with less effort.
By the way, the Closet Rod mod mentioned will fit the bags you ordered nicely.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To get your Corbin seat to better close over your leather bags, remove the latch loop from the rear underside of the seat. Add a couple of washers to the bolts between the latch and the seat, and reattach it. This will give you more spacing and the seat will lock with less effort.
By the way, the Closet Rod mod mentioned will fit the bags you ordered nicely.
And keep the bags from touching too close to the exhaust? Bags recommend 3" or more

1 - 18 of 18 Posts