CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i accidentlly broke my key off inside of my igntion. Unretrievable. Had the thot to splice open the ignition wires. I installed the Super cool switch so i could just click it on & off. Well rain water i think managed to creep its way in. A few days later i went to go drive my bike and it wouldn't start. I looked at the wires on the ends were rusted. Was gonna do the whole button thing again but now it wont start. So where should i start? Can't afford to take it to a shop. Diy is my only option. Plz help. Ty

·
Registered
375 Posts
Put in your location. Sometimes you might be local to one of us who is willing to help out.

As you have learned NEVER make electrical connections on a motorcycle that are not waterproof. Best is to solder the connection with heat shrink tubing over it. After that you have crimp-on connectors that have heat shrink tubing. After that is crimp-on or even wire nuts and then coat it with RTV or some other silicone caulk product.

You should be able to clean off the wires and try again. Corrosion of any metal is the base metal decomposing so if what you have is badly corroded and brittle it would be better to cut back a few inches to nice clean wire, then solder or attach another 4 inches of wire and try your switch again.

You might also want to get some plastic sheeting to cover the ignition area when not riding.

Steve

BTW there are a couple of good "How to remove broken key" videos on YouTube. Im looking at one from Billshowto and he has some ideas i hadnt even seen before.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is the switch rated for waterproof/weatherproof? That is where I would first look since it is "corroded." The wires themselves should not be corroded. Did you solder them to the switch? If so, you may just be seeing the flux residue from the rosin core of the solder (appears brown), after soldering you should always clean the solder joint with alcohol and an acid brush to remove the flux (flux is an acid that will eventually cause degradation to the solder joint many years down the road). Here is a good example of what flux can look like after soldering:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I make aerospace electronics and harnesses for a living. Take some photos so we know what you are working with and we can see how we can help.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So i accidentlly broke my key off inside of my igntion. Unretrievable. Had the thot to splice open the ignition wires. I installed the Super cool switch so i could just click it on & off. Well rain water i think managed to creep its way in. A few days later i went to go drive my bike and it wouldn't start. I looked at the wires on the ends were rusted. Was gonna do the whole button thing again but now it wont start. So where should i start? Can't afford to take it to a shop. Diy is my only option. Plz help. Ty
Check that the kill switch is In the right position and fuses including the main fuse.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Wow i did nothing of the sort. Totally wack amatuer job. Im so screwed
Nah, look at all this help you got incoming. You got this. Plus, if you don't own a soldering iron and heat gun for shrinking tubing, now you have a great excuse to get them.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If the key went in easily it is not as hard as you think to pull it out using the right tools and technique. For less than $10.00 you can get these tools off of Amazon. I have also used paper clips, bending a slight hook on the end or sliding it down beside the key pressing up against the key to create enough friction against it and pulling it out quickly. You can break a fine tooth coping saw blade in half and slide it down beside the key and then twist the teeth against it and pull out quickly. You can a buy a used ignition off EBay for $50.00.
14 Honda CTX700 CTX 700 key and ignition lock set gas cap | eBay
Amazon.com: yangyang 10 Pcs/Set Lock Pick Set Broken Key Remove Auto Locksmith Tools Key Extractor Tools: Home Improvement
6-1/2 in. Coping Saw Blades 4 Pk

·
Registered
302 Posts
While you're in a jam you might try to remove the ignition switch, turn it upside down and begin gently tapping against a wooden surface and maybe enough of the key remnants will come out far enough to grab it with pliers of some kind. Then you can restore everything to near original condition. Someone has already commented that a locksmith can make you a key from your broken one, you may need to buy a key blank from a Honda dealer to complete the task.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Get "marine grade" switches. Look for rubber around the toggle, where it goes into the switch body.... be ready for some marine $$$ shock. Liquid tape around your wire contacts (Harbor Freight or any auto store)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts