CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching but can't come up with a link or part number.

Going to be installing new heated grips but I keep seeing I can just get a new smooth throttle tube rather than grinding down my stock one.

Problem is there seems to be a million different ones and nobody lists what fit for them. I'm guessing the 7/8 bar tubes for most Hondas are pretty universal?

Anybody have a link to what they know should fit our bikes?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I confess to buggering up the original throttle tube before installing my Heaterz Retros. I bought a Motion Pro 01-0052 to replace it. It is listed as a replacement for older Honda’s, but it fits the CTX perfectly (though I did have to cut it slightly shorter.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TURK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple of notes from the installation:

The original throttle tube was surprisingly brittle, especially for a bike built in December of 2017. I broke off a nib when removing the return cable.

When dry fitting the grip, I found it almost too easy to slide on. I considered adding a bit of tape but i was concerned that the adhesive would melt, so I saved most of the super glue for the throttle side and it seems to be very secure. The glue is quite runny but sets up very quickly, so I was glad that I had used a paint pen to mark the grips at the point where they line up with the split in the control housing. I decided to leave the paint mark there for future reference.

So far, I am very happy with the Heaterz.

Attachments

Reactions: 350Four

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! Thank you!

Any trick to cutting the new tube to length, or just a dremel and a cutting wheel?

I assume how to remove the old tube/grip will be pretty self explanatory once I start looking? :)
I also assume your happy with your Oxfords? I just looked up the Retro. Looks very similar to the touring, just a different pattern on them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Perfect! Thank you!

Any trick to cutting the new tube to length, or just a dremel and a cutting wheel?

I assume how to remove the old tube/grip will be pretty self explanatory once I start looking? :)
I also assume your happy with your Oxfords? I just looked up the Retro. Looks very similar to the touring, just a different pattern on them.
I used a hacksaw.

Loosen cables at throttle body. Remove brake lever for extra working room (optional). Move brake reservoir inboard on handlebar (keep it level). Open control housing. Grit teeth, curse, disconnect return cable from throttle tube. Disconnect “go” cable (should be easy). Reverse steps to install new throttle tube. Adjust freeplay.

Yes, I am happy. The Retros are very “grippy”.

The big decision will be where and how to mount the controller. The included mounting bracket is easy to attach to the clutch lever mounting. Obviously, this won’t work with the DCT unless you fabricate something. I installed it at the middle of the handlebar, but it would have been more difficult with the stock bar, which is 1-1/8” at this point; mine is 7/8”, so I was able to adapt some standard clamps. I imagine that some CTX owners have mounted the controller to the fairing.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I saw a post somewhere on here where they mounted it using the bolts for the brake reservoir. I swear I have so much stuff on my bars already. Cell phone holder, usb outlets, etc. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts